Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/17/2009 5:41:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2009 3:48:36 PM EST by Specop_007]
To put it briefly....I'm late on my rent. By 2 weeks. No big deal right? I mean this isnt the first time I've been late on a monthly rent payment, although its been many many years since those days.

What made it so difficult is my landlords son had to stop by yesterday to tell me they havent gotten it yet. Who happens to be a kid who was in high school at the same time as me. Who also happens to be married to one of my friends.....

Now what really rubs the salt in the wound is I am BROKE. I have about 20 bucks till payday next week. The reason for this unfortunate situation is I just sold my house, at a loss unfortunately. Last Friday I sent a check in excess of 14,000 to get rid of my house. My rainy day fund, my rifle fund AND my emergency fund were tapped out to dispose of my house.

THAT is extremely embarrassing to me. To have to have my friends husband, a guy I know swing by to tell me I'm late..... And I have to tell him I'm broke. Sorry, cant give you a dime till next week.....

Always something you know. I was so happy to finally be rid of my house, happy I was in a position to have the money needed to do it....And what happens? Goddamn rent check is MIA. Admittedly I should have noticed it never cleared the bank but I simply missed it. No ones fault but my own.

I think I may send an apology letter with my (late) rent check next week.

UPDATE!

They called me today at work, they find the check! i did in fact mail it to them! They had accidentally missplaced it. Score 1 for me. Now to keep the damn thing from bouncin.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:46:26 PM EST
that sucks man, I was in the process of buying a house down here in MIami a couple years back but ended up backing out. I'm sure glad I did, most likely I'd owe more than what it'd be currently worth. I'm a pretty paranoid freak when it comes to having money to pay the bills, I literally save everything. My rent is less than a quarter of my paycheck but everything else goes into savings... I'm could probably buy myself a nice machinegun right about now
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:48:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By LORD-eX-Bu:
that sucks man, I was in the process of buying a house down here in MIami a couple years back but ended up backing out. I'm sure glad I did, most likely I'd owe more than what it'd be currently worth. I'm a pretty paranoid freak when it comes to having money to pay the bills, I literally save everything. My rent is less than a quarter of my paycheck but everything else goes into savings... I'm could probably buy myself a nice machinegun right about now

How do you think I felt cutting a 14 grand check. The thoughts that went through my head. I actually thought about telling my mortgage company FU and foreclosing, keeping my money and walking.

But I didnt.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:51:31 PM EST
I would have been tempted to do the same... only difference would be that I would have probably done it
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:56:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By LORD-eX-Bu:
I would have been tempted to do the same... only difference would be that I would have probably done it

Well, that brings up another point. I've never had good credit. Not really OMG RUN AWAY bad but....When I moved back home I realized I didnt want to be embarrassed to have my credit run for things. So, I'm walkin a new path. Feels good you know.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:58:11 PM EST

Ya got a paypal account?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:01:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By RarestRX:

Ya got a paypal account?

Ummm...Yeah. Havent used it in forever, still got it for the occasional Ebay purchase
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:13:46 PM EST
at least you give a fuc...

some people would be like...fuc it I'm in a bad way right now...

people like you are the reason this country has been the beacon of hope for the entire world for centuries...

personal responsibility and a sense of shame...

most of the younger generation would've been thinking about how they could get the chik they knew in high school to give them a break...

you are a great American.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:20:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By churrasco:
at least you give a fuc...

some people would be like...fuc it I'm in a bad way right now...

people like you are the reason this country has been the beacon of hope for the entire world for centuries...

personal responsibility and a sense of shame...

most of the younger generation would've been thinking about how they could get the chik they knew in high school to give them a break...

you are a great American.

Well, thank you. I just turned 31 for what its worth. Some of the shit people pull disgusts me.

The biggest thing that changed me was the passing of my father a few years ago. I found a great job back home so jumped on it. But now, what I do....Who I am...thats a reflection of my father. Theres no way in Hell I'll diminish that or tarnish that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:22:36 PM EST
These are tough times, At least your job isn't driving aroung trying to collect rent from tenents.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:24:45 PM EST
So wait, did it just get lost? You said you didn't see it clear your account.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:28:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By damcv62:

Correct. It would have mailed around the 29th of May. Its just GONE. I figure it fell through a crack somewhere and it in a mail mans car.......
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:30:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By Specop_007:
Originally Posted By damcv62:

Correct. It would have mailed around the 29th of May. Its just GONE. I figure it fell through a crack somewhere and it in a mail mans car.......

So, it would have bounced had it made it to them?

Being late is better than bouncing, IMO
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:38:15 PM EST
That sucks, I feel your pain on the house.

I have to cut a $6,000 check next week to refinance my house because it has lost 19% of it's appraised value since I bought it in 2007. I paid 93k and it appraised at 104k, Now I owe 87k and it appraises at 85k(concrete slab house, 1500 sq ft including the garage, built in 1994 on one acre). My credit union has a "no closing cost" finance deal going, if you sell or pay it off within 3 years of closing you just have to pay them a prorated portion of the costs.

My current interest rate is 6.6% and I am locked in right now at 5.125% for the new loan, the main thing is they will only finance 95% of the appraised value so I have to pay it down to around 81k.

The good news is I am paying down the principle and the payment will be $438 a month when it's all said and done, down from the $568 it currently is.

Even though you're broke, that's still a big weight lifted I'm sure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:42:47 PM EST
My wife and I moved into the upstairs of a 2-family house when we were newly married. the landlord lived on the ground floor. I wrote out the first rent check and gave it to them. A couple days later, the bank sends me a letter and the landlord calls my wife at work - the rent check bounced (FIRST RENT CHECK!!). I deposited the money into the wrong checking account and wrote the rent check from a different account. I had to run home from work (2hrs commute) and go to the bank, withdraw the money and I gave the landlord the rent in cash and had to pay the bank's bounced check fees for myself and what they charged the landlord for receiving a bounced check. I never wrote another rent check after that.

I felt better a few months later when my wife and I were talking to our landlords about their vacation to Florida. They were driving there with the kids and were leaving the next day. At one point, the landlord's wife says that she needs to remember to go to a travel store before they depart so she could get a converter plug so they can plug in and charge their electronics while on vacation. We had to remind her that Florida is still in the USA. I couldn't resist so I told her to stop at the bank and convert her NJ money for Florida money while she was out too .
Top Top