Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/7/2002 6:54:58 PM EDT
What do you think happened to the fifth planet of our system, that used to be between Mars and Jupiter?

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
That was just a small demonstration of my power.  Now bow to me...

heh heh
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Inherit the Stars
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I jus want to go on record with the ATF and FBI that I was home all day and had nothing to do with this.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#5]
As I understand it, someone did the calculations and concluded that the tidal forces from Jupiter and Mars (mostly Jupiter) were enough to break up any planet in that orbit.

Coulda been that big club-looking thing Commodore Decker destroyed with the U.S.S. Constitution in [i]Star Trek[/i] though.

[best Spock voice] "Fascinating question!"[/best Spock voice]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Blown up to make room for an intergalactic highway.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#7]
bullshit! planet zorax is on its' way to bulletfest, and has just left orbit temporarily.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Uhh...wouldn't the asteroid belt be where the 5th planet would have been?  I believe the intense gravity pulling from two directions (Jupiter and the Sun) prevented the debris from ever coalescing.
View Quote

Who are you going to believe, anonymous scinetist strangers whom don't have the stones to post here, or your pal Scott?

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As I understand it, someone did the calculations and concluded that the tidal forces from Jupiter and Mars (mostly Jupiter) were enough to break up any planet in that orbit.

Coulda been that big club-looking thing Commodore Decker destroyed with the U.S.S. Constitution in [i]Star Trek[/i] though.

View Quote

Ahh yes the doomsday machine.  Best Spock voice as well, "its outer skin is, is sold neutronium!"  "Nothing can penetrate that!"
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Ahh yes the doomsday machine.  Best Spock voice as well, "its outer skin is, is sold neutronium!"  "Nothing can penetrate that!"
View Quote

Ahh yes, the planet devouring,Horn 'o Plenty.
e6
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone read Vendetta? It was a Next Generation sequel, of sorts. The Doomsday machine was supposedly a prototype anti-Borg weapon which got away from the creators. Vendetta was a young lady who survived losing her world to the Borg, then found the ultimate version of the planet eater...

Scott

P.S. It might have found her. It's been a while since I read it...

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I favor a broken up planet.  Can't argue about it - that's just my opinion.

There way one theory that our moon was created from a astereoid collision with Earth or Mars.  Don't know if that's still a viable idea.  

Has anyone said what they estimated the accumulated mass of the asteroids to be, in terms of the mass of Earth or any other planet?

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#13]
A reminder of the importance of Galactic Firearms Safety Rule #1:

Treat every Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator as if it's loaded.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A reminder of the importance of Galactic Firearms Safety Rule #1:

View Quote

Funniest guess so far.....

Scott

[beer]

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Would you believe, three drunken sailors in a dingy ate it??  
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Dude! It was like a bunch of totaly sweet ninjas.. They flipped out and chopped it up!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Would you believe, three drunken sailors in a dingy ate it??
View Quote

Maybe.  Some of those guys will eat anything after living off of ship food for six months.z
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#18]
And there was war in heaven. Micheal and his angels fought against the devil and his angels.... blah blah blah blah blah.

Genisis something verse something

What kind of war was that anyway?

Edited because I'm on my 14th beer. Damn, for a small asian man, I can put em away like no other
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#19]
God decided that he did not want a planet there anymore so he got rid of it. Or it could be the few times that God stopped the earth and it had an effect on the whole galaxy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I supose if you piss god off, he'll do something pretty mean like taking a galaxy sized AR-15 an shoot up some planets. Don't ya think? But being the diest that I am, I figure that it was marvin the martian at work.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And there was war in heaven. Micheal and his angels fought against the devil and his angels.... blah blah blah blah blah.

Genisis something verse something

View Quote

I don't think you are supposed to "yadda-yadda" the Good Book....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Tidal forces from jupiter probably prevented it from forming.

According to my textbook, the estimated mass of the combined asteroids is only 5x10^(-4) times the mass of the earth, that is .05% of the mass of the earth.  That wouldn't be much of a planet....  Much of it has probably been dispersed by jupiter's influence.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Ya sure it wasn't Anakin and his Death Star?  Trying to show off......
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#26]
(Sorry for the poor spelling--I'm going from memory).

"Inter martem et jovem planetem interposui"
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Rosie Odonnell ate it!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
(Sorry for the poor spelling--I'm going from memory).

"Inter martem et jovem planetem interposui"
View Quote

"Between Mars and Jupiter a planet (WHAT)?".....

Scott

P.S. I took four years of Latin. All I remember is "tempus fugit" and "Karthaga delenda est"...

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#29]
To [u]hear[/u] [b]Marvin the Martian[/b] say that about the Eludium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator, go here: [url]http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/3063/pix.htm[/url]

[img]http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/3063/marvjam.jpg[/img]

Eric The(That'sAllFolks!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#30]
You know, you're missing the obvious explanation......It's still there, just cloaked!!!

Please, someone, beam me up.....

[whacko][whacko][whacko]

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#32]
[b]Star Wars "Death Star":
[img]http://www.starwarssource.net/Vehicles/Images/DS_FLEE.GIF[/img]

Saturn's Moon [i]Mimas[/i]:
[img]http://www.astronomy.com/content/static/images/mimas_thumb.jpg[/img]

Need I say more?[/b][(:|)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I think when the sun puts out its solar flares,and other solar cleansing actions it is to void and cleanse the upper stratosphere from foreign objects, unfortunately we launched so many satts and space junk that some day it will either be cleansed or left to make an unclean unlauchable force field above the earth.

We will have to retrive these objects or vaporize them!

Bob     [8D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Its not missing, its behind URanus...
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Its not missing, its behind URanus...
View Quote

Damn, [b][i]that's[/i][/b] what's been itching back there: I have a bad case of assteroids!!!

[%|][%|][%|][%|][%|][%|][%|][%|][%|][%|]

P6(ParaProctologistPyroPersistentPhreakPig)[pyro][^][heavy]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm holding it for ransom in my garage. Is NASA wants it back they better pay up.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Remember the one about what do toilet paper and the Enterprise have in common?
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think when the sun puts out its solar flares,and other solar cleansing actions it is to void and cleanse the upper stratosphere from foreign objects, unfortunately we launched so many satts and space junk that some day it will either be cleansed or left to make an unclean unlauchable force field above the earth.

We will have to retrive these objects or vaporize them!

Bob     [8D]
View Quote

We face the possibility of a cascading disaster destroying all the satellites and leaving us Earthbound forever. Basically, it is possible for one satellite to frag the next and so on and so on and so on....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#40]
DScott--

Something I read once.  I think it was one of the old Astronomers said it (actually it was a reference to them in an old Sci-Fi. book).

"Between Mars and Jupiter I place a Planet".

Interposui, Interposi, ??? Not sure.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#42]
[b]Originally Posted By ColonelKlink[/b]
[b]They both wipe Klingons off Uranus.[/b]

Really, I heard that they both search for Klingons around Uranus.

But hey, who really cares what a bunch of geeks in The Starship Boobyprise do for kicks.

Hey, ever read the "12th Planet" by Zacheria Sitchin.  He states that the 12th planet has an elliptical orbit that takes it 3600 years to orbit between our sun and Sirius B (I think, it's been a while since I read it).  He explained that it crashed into the planet between Jupiter and Mars.  He also explained that this was deciphered from the Summarian Tablets found in Iraq in 1849.

From what I understand, this planet was fat, had brunette hair, has a talk show, and hates guns.  When it came through it kinda' ate it like a big sow sucks up the garbage from a trough.

Uh! I think this was a scientific explanation.

HeHeHeHeHeHe

[pyro]    [(:|)]           [frag]

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
From what I understand, this planet was fat, had brunette hair, has a talk show, and hates guns.  When it came through it kinda' ate it like a big sow sucks up the garbage from a trough.

Uh! I think this was a scientific explanation.

HeHeHeHeHeHe

[pyro]    [(:|)]           [frag]
View Quote

Hey, let's take it easy on the truly porcine species.[:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#44]
I think your right its gone.
[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/falcon/Pictureford%20010.jpg [/img].
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#45]
The real theory goes like this: Ripped apart by competing gravitational forces.

The DOUGLAS ADAMS THEORY goes like this:
It was destroyed to make way for a hyperspace bypass but the zoning laws were changed in mid course buy a fluke created by a senator in beta prime mistakenly looking at a sceitzi fly and a horse fly mate, which caused him to decide to change the zoning laws that day and so the planet was destroyed but was never cleaned up. The new zoning laws were passed and the EARTH is slated for destruction. The plans are sitting in City Hall in the Alpha Centauri system
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Nah...

Really ....

Remember the Gods ... the Norse Gods .... the Roman Gods ... the Greek Gods .... ?

Those were the inhabitants of the missing planet ...

There was a time when all was peaceful... then the time of consequences came and the planet decided that united it stands .. divided it fails ...

So it with all its various cultures fell apart ... then the Gods decended upon the 3rd planet and being Omnipotent alas impotent set about to show the original inhabitants of the 3rd planet how to live in peace (instead of pieces) ...

However their diverse sub-cultures reigned past the time of the Gods and are still causing some grief and stress today ...

Someone shall continue ....
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#47]
All I have to say is...
It was delicious.

Sincerely,
Jewbroni, Eater of Worlds
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#49]
ah, c'mon...you don't recall???

Remember, about two or three years ago, the Earth was dying and we had to move everybody on the planet to an alternate solar system?  It was almost like the one we left...remember now?  So, we put everyone on the planet into hypersleep and then loaded them all onto interplanetary spaceships? But, then we decided that the REALLY STUPID people would freak out if they knew what was going on so we didn't tell them...and so ...um....er...

Never mind.  No, I don't know what happened to it.  

Hey look over there! - a shiny penny!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#50]
The alternate universe Federation nuked it....

[img]http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/altuniverse/planetarydefender_hellspawn.jpg[/img]

Scott

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top