Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 7:10:17 PM EDT
It was a nice slow day at work today, up until we were alerted to a guy trying to steal a 32" LCD TV.  He had left the basket with the tv to the side of the store near the entrance door, he scoped out his getaway, and then he simply walked right past the greater with this thing in his basket and got as far as just outside the second door when I grabed his arm and tried to ask him to come back inside.  At that point he broke free left the TV and took off running with myself and a coworker running after  him.  He got all the way into his car where an alert bystander jumped in to help us fight to get the keys from the thief.  The bystander and I were both half way in the passenger side window of the car fighting for the keys and the other coworker on the drivers side trying not to get hit by a liquor bottle.  The second we got the keys away from him he shoved his way past the guy on his side of the car and took off running again, but didn't make it far.  The three of us tackled him and called 911.  I was so out of breath from the rush that the 911 operator couldn't understand me too well but I was able to get the location accross to her and that I worked there.  After all that and the police arrive (in a few minutes but it felt like forever) they handcuff him, search him to find some crack on him and run his info and he has warrants.  His car also had stolen plates and was not registered.  

What pissed me off about all this was the guy filming us with his camera phone and saying "man if we wern't here watching, ya'll would be beating the shit out of him" .  WTF we were just sitting on him to hold him down until the police showed up, and why not call 911 on us instead filming it if we were being so violent?  I'm just glad we all walked away with no major injuries, just scrapes and bruises.

A $1400 tv isn't worth my life and we got lucky that all went smooth.  
I also am glad that a bystander steped up and helped out because without his help this could of turned out much worse for me and my coworker.

So how was your day?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Tales of a Mall NinjaTM ?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I would never work in a mall!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Best Buy?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#5]
circuit shitty?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats a NO to both guesses

ETA
I didn't think they had their stock on their sales floor
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Hope you don't get sued for assulating that poor person who was just stealing to feed his family because he can't hold a job cuz his dad did not love him  enough
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ETA

SEARS!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hope you don't get sued for assulating that poor person who was just stealing to feed his family because he can't hold a job cuz his dad did not love him  enough

I swear I was just running after him to let him know he left his tv behind
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA

SEARS!

Nope wrong again

If you must try to guess.... The survival side likes to stock up at my store, and thats all I'll say until after court.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Well you don't work for the company that had the TV stolen.

You do work Security.

You aren't an LEO (you called 911)

You aren't Mall Security.

That leaves........what?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well you don't work for the company that had the TV stolen.

You do work Security.

You aren't an LEO (you called 911)

You aren't Mall Security.

That leaves........what?

No I do work for the company that had the tv stolen
No I am not security, I just sell computers
Your right I'm not LEO
Definately not Mall security
and no its not China-mart

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Forgive me when I say this as im remembering back to the days I was a moron....So im sure things have changed, and I say this in hoping you dont get sued.

Back I think it was 11 years ago, if they dont leave the building (as in 2nd doors) its NOT stealing and if they made it out with merchandise you couldnt touch them, just call the cops.... ???????

Please someone correct me if things have changed... Good job and all, im not getting on to you by any means....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#14]
It is fine for us to stop them while they are on the property.
He did get past the second door and we consider that clearly going past the "final point of sale" and our stop was good.  Now when the store manager got in his truck 15min later and went looking for the guy we almost caught last year.... that was going a little far, but he brought him back, had him arrested and the BG plead guilty. So, some times its ok to go too far, but I stop where the insurance stops.

Years ago I was trained on the rules of loss prevention, but its safer and pays better to sell computers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Oops, missed the  "just past the 2nd set of doors" thing....

Thing is can you really do anything if there say still in the store, Say they put something in there pocket casue hands were getting full and didnt get a basket...????  Just curious.

Quoted:
It is fine for us to stop them while they are on the property.
He did get past the second door and we consider that clearly going past the "final point of sale" and our stop was good.  Now when the store manager got in his truck 15min later and went looking for the guy we almost caught last year.... that was going a little far, but he brought him back, had him arrested and the BG plead guilty. So, some times its ok to go too far, but I stop where the insurance stops.

Years ago I was trained on the rules of loss prevention, but its safer and pays better to sell computers.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thing is can you really do anything if there say still in the store, Say they put something in there pocket casue hands were getting full and didnt get a basket...????  Just curious.

Yes, Concealment of merchandise is a crime here, but no company wants to ever go to court for that.  I'll never stop someone for just that,  I wait for them to hit the doors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top