Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 3:44:16 PM EDT
I have but 84 hours and some odd minutes left to live the remainder of my civilian life.  I report at 0830 on 30 June at the USMA at West Point.

I realize that I don't contribute heavily, (actually hardly at all) to this site, so my lack of presence will go un-noticed, but I plan on returning and actually contributing to good old ARFCOM once I get permission and ability to come back.  ARFCOM has been a great resource of information, humor, and political discussion.  Keep up the good work here guys.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Good Luck Soldier-to-be!

And about your signature, some of us Navy dudes do like to sink once in a while. But not permanently.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Good Luck and make us proud!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good Luck and make us proud!!!
View Quote

Ditto!

"THIS WE'LL DEFEND,"

[img]http://www.wildgoosecreekstudio.com/images/defend.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Do us, yourself, your family, and your nation proud
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I plan on keeping my sense of humor, and irony, which includes the Screen-name.  I am sure I will push plenty for it, possibly more than plenty, but it is all in the fun of it.  Thanks for the advice Sylvan.

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Another stinkin’ Butterbar.

BUT to be nice to you; It had been my experience throughout my career that as there were three different ways to get a commission, there were three different standards of Ell Teas.

West Point
Officer Candidate School
ROTC

Overly simply put, the Best LT’s came from the Point, second place to OCS, third to ROTC Butterbars.
But in all three cases, all of the LT’s I knew were worth Saluting.
I don’t know if you’ll be wearing that strip of brass 4 years from now.  But if you do, my first thing you should do is listen to your Sergeants.  They’ve been in the Army longer than you.  YOU may give the orders, THEY make sure they get carried out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Go luck, and Godspeed!

My 17 year old has the jar.... uh, Marines doging him. He scored 3rd highest on the asvab in the state, and is asking me what they will let him do! I told him anything he wanted to!

I scored numoro uno on mine in the state of califorina and the retarder told me I could fly, if, I just signed on the dotted line, well I did and the made me an E-5 strait out of boot, but guess what, they told me I could fly....................................

In 20 years, after I made W-1! Asshole! I did one up the master chief that laughed at me when he ask me what I signed up for. After he was done laughing when I told him the retarder told me I could fly, I ask him who was the first off the boat when it pulled into port and the last to get back on.

He said that would be a sonar operator, so I said I want to be a sonar operator, SIR!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:08:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Ummmmm...  Are you sure you're supposed to head for the Point and not Annapolis, "GoNavy"?  I'd say ditch that handle before you enter the gates!

And remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!

Thanks in advance for your service to our nation.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Pay attention to the enlisted guys. They don't give a shit where you went to college. Your senior enlisteds will keep you alive, your junior enlisteds will kill you if you attempt to sacrifice their lives for glory.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:00:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Godspeed
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't care what the Yale, Hahh-vahd, MIT, Berkely goofballs say. You are aboutto enter the most exclusive and rigorous university on the planet. The education and experience you will receive there are designed with only one purpose: "to Support and Defend" the Constitution of the greatest nation. Good luck, plebe. Keep your head in the game, and in 4 short years, you will be on your way to a great career.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Good luck in your schooling.  It will be a new life.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You had better change your freakin' screen name!
View Quote

AMEN! We USNA grads don't want some stinking Woop besmirching our good name! [;)]

(That, and the fact that if you're found to have that name as a USMA plebe, you're ass is grass!)

Some words of advice.
Plebe year is a game, its called "You Lose"  Don't try to win when you are a plebe, you just piss everybody off.

Keep your sense of humor, but don't forget to keep it to yourself.

Sex, alcohol and sleep are all over-rated

Never, ever entertain the idea of quitting.  If you have been accepted, you have everything required to graduate.

Take a moment every now and then to appreciate where you are.  West Point (WooPoo) sucks!  No way around it.  But, when you get the chance on a weekend, walk around.  Appreciate the history of the place.

Don't wimp out on your major.  West Point has a great engineering program (especially civil), take advantage of that.  Don't major in management science (like I did).  Get a real degree.  Trust me on this.
View Quote

All good advice, even if it is from an Army puke! [;)]

One more thing. I'll bet that USMA is similar to USNA in this: It's the WORST place in the world to be [b]AT[/b], but it's the BEST place in the world to be [b]FROM[/b]!

[b]GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY![/b]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:56:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As a former NCO let me say this-The Point will NOT make you a superman know it all. Listen to your NCO's when you get out. Be good to your men-take care of them, they will take care of you. Don't take care of them, they WILL take "care" of you. I've seen it both ways.
View Quote

Also excellent advice. FOLLOW IT!

BTW, I'm USNA '91, so I know of that which I speak. It's no different in one branch or another.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have but 84 hours and some odd minutes left to live the remainder of my civilian life.  I report at 0830 on 30 June at the USMA at West Point.

I realize that I don't contribute heavily, (actually hardly at all) to this site, so my lack of presence will go un-noticed, but I plan on returning and actually contributing to good old ARFCOM once I get permission and ability to come back.  ARFCOM has been a great resource of information, humor, and political discussion.  Keep up the good work here guys.
View Quote

That's my boy! [beer]

(Actually, it really is.  He's my son.)
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top