Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/25/2013 3:11:59 PM EST
Beale removes fuel storage tanks that kept Blackbird soaring

by Staff Sgt. Robert M. Trujillo
9th Reconnaissance Wing Public Affairs

7/22/2013

BEALE AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- Beale is conducting a four-month deconstruction project to remove Cold War-era fuel storage tanks that once fueled the SR-71 Blackbird.

The project is a part of the Air Force's "20/20 by 2020" initiative, which aims to reduce excess capacity by reducing a base's footprint, as well as reducing operating costs by 20 percent by the year 2020.

Three of the storage tanks have already been removed and the remaining two are scheduled to be demolished in the upcoming months.

During the mid-1960s, Beale was home to jets that required massive amounts of fuel including the Blackbird.

Five tanks at Beale's fuel terminal held between 400,000 and 657,000 gallons each of specially-designed JP-7 jet fuel. This fuel was developed by the U.S. Air Force to power the SR-71 and was brought to the fuel terminal via a locomotive system.

The fuel was then pumped through a 4.5-mile-long pipeline to the flightline where the Blackbird consumed approximately 36,000 to 44,000 pounds of fuel per hour of flight.

The tanks became cold war relics with the retirement of the SR-71 in 1998 and coupled with the transfer of the B-52 Stratofortress bomber and KC-135 Stratotanker air refueling missions to other bases.

"They're kind of historic structures," said Robert Nordhal, 9th Civil Engineer Squadron flight chief of programs. "We just don't have the need for high-capacity fuel storage anymore."

Nordhal said that unused structures cost the Air Force in maintenance and repairs as well as pose safety concerns.

"These tanks were not fitted with modern safety features," said Mark Hoover, fuels terminal superintendent with AKIMA Technical Solutions. "It would cost more for us to upgrade those tanks then to build new ones."

In addition to maintenance and repair costs, Beale will also save in the demolition of the tanks themselves.

"The scrap metal from the tanks is being recycled and is being used to fund the demolition," Hoover said. "It's essentially saving the Air Force tens of thousands of dollars."

http://www.beale.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123356574
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:13:34 PM EST
The whole country is slowly being dismantled and sold for scrap.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:15:03 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:16:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:18:38 PM EST
Sad to see stuff like that marking the passing of a great era in aviation.

I doubt anyone is even qualified or trained to fly one anymore other than soon to retire Generals who are qualified on paper only and have not flown anything in a years.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:19:03 PM EST
Battleships of the sky.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:23:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2013 3:24:37 PM EST by AA717driver]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fr3d:

I doubt anyone is even qualified or trained to fly one anymore other than soon to retire Generals who are qualified on paper only and have not flown anything in a years.
View Quote

[fantasy]The SR's wouldn't be brought back, IMO. Too much money to be made by a repalcement if that were ever to be determined hecessary[/fantasy]

We have a 'drone .mil' now and that is where the emphasis will be placed. After the relative fiascos surrounding the F-22/35, the drone programs have been stellar.

All IMO, of course.

for the Cold War airpower...

TC
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:28:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

[fantasy]The SR's wouldn't be brought back, IMO. Too much money to be made by a repalcement if that were ever to be determined hecessary[/fantasy]

We have a 'drone .mil' now and that is where the emphasis will be placed. After the relative fiascos surrounding the F-22/35, the drone programs have been stellar.

All IMO, of course.

TC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

All IMO, of course.

TC

As bad assed as she was, the Habu is outdated technology. We have the Arora (sp) is the current bad ass
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:31:07 PM EST
The SR would wake me up most mornings after getting to sleep post-night shift at RAF Mildenhall in the early 80's. It would take off and climb fast inside the base perimeter until it reached a certain altitude, where it would level off and go to rondevous with a tanker.

I slept in the dorms in earplugs and the vibrations would wake me up. I would roll over and pull back the curtains and watch th SR climb up with those orange and blue flames shrieking out the back.

Godspeed, Blackbird.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:32:17 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:33:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By kingoftheroad:
Battleships of the sky.
View Quote

No. BBs would get their ass handed to them on the first fight. SR-71s could still get the job done, but can beat the almighty $$$$
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:34:05 PM EST

Interestingly enough though is that U-2s are still being flown at Beale.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:40:45 PM EST
there just taking them to a secret base somewhere right
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:42:23 PM EST
Sad.......
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:43:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

View Quote

Yep, the U2 outlived its replacement.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:44:47 PM EST
When we invent the first nuclear propulsion engines for aircraft, they'll be installed in an SR-71.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:53:19 PM EST
x25
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:54:00 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:55:40 PM EST

View Quote

Coffin's corner is a bitch. My hats off to those guys.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:05:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
When we invent the first nuclear propulsion engines for aircraft, they'll be installed in an SR-71.
View Quote

I think we did that in the late 40's and early 50's. One of my college chemistry professors was on the project IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:07:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:08:50 PM EST
I thought that when they got rid of "extra" BB barrels at various locations and deactivated 16" projectiles it meant the BBs would not come back. They did.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:09:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By mnvwguy02:

I think we did that in the late 40's and early 50's. One of my college chemistry professors was on the project IIRC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mnvwguy02:
Originally Posted By cmjohnson:

I know they put reactors in W-57's under the Weather banner, but they weren't for propulsion.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:09:16 PM EST
I lived at Beale for a few years when I was a kid. Loved seeing the Blackbird and Dragon Lady.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:10:07 PM EST
Sad to see stuff like that marking the passing of a great era in aviation everything.

View Quote

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:10:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By Merrell:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:11:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By Jack_T:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack_T:

Yep
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:11:26 PM EST

View Quote

... To the Chinese!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:13:17 PM EST
The SR was one bad bitch. Truly an awe inspiring aircraft,
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:15:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2013 4:18:29 PM EST by fr3d]
Originally Posted By cavedog:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cavedog:

What annoys me is that the Brits have made the best tribute videos for both ships on their TV show Top Gear. Both planes are honored and given the credit they deserve.. by british people @_@

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PmYItnlY5M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJSRa5cukc
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:18:42 PM EST
What a bummer. She truly was an amazing machine to see fly.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:20:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/25/2013 4:25:36 PM EST by Silver_Surfer]
Just like that and there gone.

An aircraft before it's time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:22:11 PM EST
I'm glad I got see it fly at multiple airshows when I was kid. As it was done with one of its airshows (late sunday afternoon) I'll never forget the bone rattling sound of it flying by in full afterburner and pulling straight up and disappearing into the sky. The announcer said it was going to meetup with a tanker and fly back to its base. The crowd went crazy watching it go straight up and disappear during the day. They should have kept at least one in flyable condition for national airshows it would have been money well spent.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:24:20 PM EST
As sad as it is to know the SR-71 will probably never fly again, it only spurs my imagination to think about the unrevealed bird that replaced it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:28:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

... To the Chinese!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

... To the Chinese!

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:29:34 PM EST
Retired in 1998, for the second time. Yeah, they're done. I'm convinced something replaced them. I have no idea what, but there's something in the deep black program that replaced it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:35:53 PM EST
Oh my, they're saving tens of thousands of dollars.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:36:25 PM EST
As sad as it is to know the SR-71 will probably never fly again, it only spurs my imagination to think about the unrevealed bird that replaced it.
View Quote

How's the old saying go? If you know about it, the replacement is already flying...and its replacement is in the works!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:37:19 PM EST
The replacement for the SR-71 exists.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:37:42 PM EST
This is all America has now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGOR-5o5kYw
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:38:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By realwar:
I'm glad I got see it fly at multiple airshows when I was kid. As it was done with one of its airshows (late sunday afternoon) I'll never forget the bone rattling sound of it flying by in full afterburner and pulling straight up and disappearing into the sky. The announcer said it was going to meetup with a tanker and fly back to its base. The crowd went crazy watching it go straight up and disappear during the day. They should have kept at least one in flyable condition for national airshows it would have been money well spent.
View Quote

So would've keeping the Blue Angels in the air this season, but hey, the ruling elite have to have millions to waste on vacations...can't be bothered with showcasing the excellence of our military's aviators or worrying about the billions of dollars that canceling the demo teams seasons took out of the economy. The economy's fine...just ask Barry.

FBHO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:40:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Retired in 1998, for the second time. Yeah, they're done. I'm convinced something replaced them. I have no idea what, but there's something in the deep black program that replaced it.
View Quote

The rumors have been prolific since the early '90s. That the USAF didn't really seem to protest-at all-is telling.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:58:37 PM EST
That is my favorite plane of all time. I was so fascinated by it as a kid in the 90's (I'm 25 now.) When I was in 4th grade we had a pilot come in talk to us and I swear I was drooling the whole time and no I wasn't in special ed classes
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:00:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:
Just like that and there gone.

An aircraft before it's time.
View Quote

Built on a slide rule.

Skunk Works for the mother fucking win.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:03:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By ScaryGuy:

So would've keeping the Blue Angels in the air this season, but hey, the ruling elite have to have millions to waste on vacations...can't be bothered with showcasing the excellence of our military's aviators or worrying about the billions of dollars that canceling the demo teams seasons took out of the economy. The economy's fine...just ask Barry.

FBHO.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ScaryGuy:
Originally Posted By realwar:

FBHO.

Yea to the fly the Blue's for the year was only a measly $20 million. A drop in the bucket. They should at least offered corporate sponsor ship to run the Blue's, they could have easily gotten the money from big sponsors just look at how much money the sponsors pay for the Super Bowl ads. It a shame they cut them but maybe someday they will be back...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:03:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By Marcbme:

As bad assed as she was, the Habu is outdated technology. We have the Arora (sp) is the current bad ass
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marcbme:

All IMO, of course.

TC

The F4 was outdated tech, but it was still sad to see them turned into target drones.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:09:04 PM EST

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:19:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:25:28 PM EST
NASA had one... When I left the gov't back in 2005 they were still talking about using it as a test platform for some sensor technology. When did NASA give theirs up?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:06:24 PM EST
I thought those were all retired. I built a model one when I was a kid and loved it... nearly shit myself when I got to see a real one for the first time at the Air Force Museum.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:17:41 PM EST
I was on base a few days ago and saw the construction.

This will not reduce footprint, was not a safety problem, and will not reduce cost. I'm sure it is pricing out much more to pull them down than leave them up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top