Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 11:50:55 PM EDT
One in 25 men might be raising another man's child
news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050811/ts_nm/science_paternity_dc
LONDON (Reuters) - One in 25 fathers could unknowingly be raising another man's child, British scientists said on Thursday.

Researchers at Liverpool's John Moores University examined the findings of dozens of studies, published over the past 54 years, on cases of paternal discrepancy -- where a man is proved not to be the biological father of his child.

The studies, most of them peer reviewed, came from countries as varied as the United States, Finland, New Zealand, South Africa and Mexico.

The findings of the studies varied dramatically -- some concluded that only one man in 100 is not the father of his child while others put the figure as high as 30 percent.

The Liverpool researchers calculated the median figure at around 4 percent, suggesting that as many as one in 25 men worldwide is not the biological father of a child he believes to be his.

"The importance lies not so much in the figure itself but in the implications, given that as a society we are increasingly making our decisions on the basis of genetics," said one of the researchers, Professor Mark Bellis.

"If, for example, someone knows that their father had a history of hereditary heart disease, they might be tempted to alter their own diet," he told Reuters.

"Obviously they need to be making that decision on the basis of accurate information about who their father really is."

Bellis said that while mix-ups of semen during artificial insemination accounted for some cases of paternal discrepancy, the majority were due to a woman having sexual relationships outside marriage.

He said in Britain, 20 percent of women in marriages or long-term relationships have had affairs, adding that the figures for other developed countries was similar.

Around a third of pregnancies in Britain are unplanned, increasing the risk of paternal discrepancy.

Writing in the British Medical Association's Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, the scientists called for further research in the area.

"(We) cannot simply ignore this difficult issue," they said.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:58:06 PM EDT
Sad to say, but one of the things I often wonder about is the thought that someone may be raising one of mine.

One of the prices of the sexual revolution.

From time to time it really bothers me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:19:47 AM EDT
I have kept track of every sperm I ever let out of the distributing unit.

Most, unfortunately, are in tissues or the spine of 1980's era Club magazines.

The one that mattered, however, ended up making my daughter, and there is no doubt she's mine. She got her mother's eyes, and my penis.

I'm confident I'm the donor.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:31:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:

The one that mattered, however, ended up making my daughter, and there is no doubt she's mine. She got her mother's eyes, and my penis.

Your daughter got your penis?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:33:55 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:41:13 AM EDT
This is in Britain! Not the U.S. Try doubling that figure here, especially in the inner cities.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:45:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sigurd:

He must be proud.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:52:08 AM EDT
And when my mom told me my sister in law was pregnant, I asked her "who's the father". Mom didn't care for that...

You see, I never approved of my brother getting married. He called me about it and honest to goodness, this is the actual quote: "Um,... I think I want to get...married". WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT??? You THINK you want to get married?

Mind you, he was 35 at the time. And she is a snaggle-toothed pecker-wrecker that is gravitationally gifted. Think Riki Lake.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:00:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sigurd:

Look under my screen name.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:00:29 AM EDT

and there is no doubt she's mine. She got her mother's eyes, and my penis.

maybe you should change your name from swingset to swing both ways .

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:41:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 688manuvering:

and there is no doubt she's mine. She got her mother's eyes, and my penis.

maybe you should change your name from swingset to swing both ways .

Explain to me how my daughter not much of a penis, which I attribute to my genetics, translates to I fuck guys?

Did my joke fly right over your noggin?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:53:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ThreatResponse:
This is in Britain! Not the U.S. Try doubling that figure here, especially in the inner cities.

"The studies, most of them peer reviewed, came from countries as varied as the United States, Finland, New Zealand, South Africa and Mexico."

GBR is only the country where the quoted article originated.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:53:40 AM EDT
Thats sig material right there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:10:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 3:10:51 AM EDT by Kharn]
I remember reading of a hospital that did a paternity test on every child delivered and the man designated as "father" by the mother. The mother was given the choice of having the hospital tell the man the results of the test, or not (I think this was before they did the test, so she wouldnt know the official results). It was kinda disturbing, I think their conclusion was somewhere in the 15-20% range for the wrong guy on the hook.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:18:11 AM EDT
Another evidence that women are no more inclined to fidelity than men are as a whole. Adultery, cheating, being a skeezoid, whatever you wish to call it, is not a male thing or a female thing. It is a person thing. People in general do selfish things.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:20:57 AM EDT
Momma's Baby, Daddy Maybe!!
I know I don't have any unidenified children walking around out there. We raised both of ours.
Top Top