Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2001 1:26:45 PM EDT
I am a art teacher in a small town, but I love firearms and history.  The history department is just starting the WW1 unit and I volunteered to bring in my WW1 and WWII firearms.  He said that would be great, but we had to ask our principle.  She said that would be great so next week I'm bringing in about 15 rifles to show and tell!  I had planned on only brining in the WWI rifles but the History teacher thought it would be nice to see the change from WWI to WWII.  The students are excited about it and continue to ask me questions and I haven't even presented yet.  I had planned on only using about 15min, but now it is going to be about an hour for three different classes.
guns762
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]
WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Take that ball and run with it!!!!!

You'll get a chance to introduce them to American firearms. I'm betting one or two WILL catch the fever from that.

Way to go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
This is great, and just what today's kids need.  I'm sure more than one or two will catch the fever.  Way to go!
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember a few years ago when my little brother was still in high school.  To graduate he had to take a speech class and so he did an informative speech on how to break down and clean a rifle.  The rifle he brought in to demonstrate with was a Ruger Mini-14 with the factory folding stock.  Now like I said this was a few years ago and it was also in a rural Oregon school, but oh how times have changed!

It doesn't seem all that long ago that dads, and moms too, would drive to school to pick up their kids in the family truck with a deer rifle right in the rifle rack in plain sight.  Now days kids are getting expelled for drawing pictures of guns or bringing "weapons" to school like the chain on a Tweety keychain!

I too am a teacher (1st & 2nd grade) and I regularly wear a 4" Kershaw lockblade to school.  The kids and parents know I carry it because I use the damn thing every day.  I use it for opening boxes, unplugging glue bottles, sharpening colored pencils, removing staples, removing splinters, etc.  Is it a knife, YES!  Is it a weapon, NO!  IT'S A TOOL!!!  These "no tolerance" policies that schools are proudly announcing are absurd in the extreme.  They are nothing more than knee-jerk fixes to relatively rare and issolated problems that are designed to give people that "warm & fuzzy" feeling.

A few years ago on the last day of school there was a cougar spotted in a neighborhood a few blocks away from our school.  We were supposed to have our field-day outside with the kids, but were basically on "lockdown" all day in our classrooms.  The state police and deputy sheriffs where patrolling the area looking for the cat, but what gave me and the other teachers here at school that "warm & fuzzy" feeling was the parent parked out in the parking lot with his hunting rifle.

If you ask me there are a lot of people out there that need to pull their head out of their ass and do a serious reality check!
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
That is awesome.  I wish my history classes were like that.  My senior project in high school was on ballistics and that had some people looking around as if I was some sort of wacko.  I was also an assistant to my engineering teacher and carried a small knife every day because I opened boxes and 100 other uses.  He knew about it and it was never a problem had I been caught with it I would have most likely been suspended.  What a bunch of crap.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
762, this is certainly an opportunity of a lifetime.  Give those kids a good show.  

And ahh, I'm sure you'll slip in the appropriate politicial messages in there too...

[:)]

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
"APPLE"<---For you!!!

Damn I wish I went to a school that cool!

John
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
when i was in high school (jeez it wasnt thet long ago) we did a special event for every decade of the century, for this event my principal allowed us to bring firearms from the diferent eras for the schoolwide event. i braught ny enfield for the 1910s and a friends m1 garand for the 30s.there was a teacher who braught in several firearms. it was an awsome experience that i am prowd to have seen in my school. course it would never happen again now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the encouragement all....
I think I'm as excited as the kids.  I have enough U.S. weapons(with help from my dad) to cover all the way to present day, using the AR-15 to supplament the M-16, but I didn't want to push it.   I don't think the black gun would go over too well.  May be next year, a little at a time.
guns762
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#9]
It is a shame and a disgrace how this nation has allowed political "correctness" & liberal pressure to cause so many to feel ashamed of our great heritage in firearms.

During the late 60's and eraly 70's it became fashionable to paint our servicemen and women as villians & baby killers (this one has just resurfaced with the story of civilian deaths in an assualt by a Seal team led by former Senator Kerry - don't even get me started on this latest media feeding frenzy...).  In the decade of the 90's, particularly during the Clinton administration, firearms in general have been villianized.  This present batch of youth are being taught to believe that it is just plain wrong to even be interested in guns.

I am proud of my heritage as an American and am thankful to have grown up around people who loved guns.  I have come to realize that without those arms - we would be under the crown of Britain today and subjects to that crown instead of the free men that we are - for now!  Without arms today we could soon become subjects once again...

My hat is off to you sir for your boldness and willingness to "stick your neck out" in a very unfriendly atmosphere and take hold of the opportunity to share with our nation's young people the truth about how they came to be free and to appreciate the tools that helped win  that freedom!

God bless ya man....!  I hope that this will inspire others to venture out there and tell the truth at every opportunity!!

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Great news, man!  Like others have said, I bet you'll get a few kids interested in shooting.  Good luck, and let us know how well recieved your presentation is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top