Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2011 8:20:30 AM EDT
Scientists can make graphene out of just about anything with carbon –– even Girl Scout Cookies.

Graduate students in the Rice University lab of chemist James Tour proved it when they invited a troop of Houston Girl Scouts to their lab to show them how it's done.

Members of Girl Scout Troop 25080 came to Rice's Smalley Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology to see the process. Rice graduate students Gedeng Ruan, lead author of the paper, and Zhengzong Sun calculated that at the then-commercial rate for pristine graphene –– $250 for a two-inch square –– a box of traditional shortbread Girl Scout Cookies could turn a $15 billion profit.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool chemistry at work there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Neat stuff, especially considering how important CNTs are for our future.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Neat stuff, especially considering how important CNTs are for our future.

Can't have kids without 'em.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
i have no clue what graphene is.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i have no clue what graphene is.

If this is the stuff I've read about here is what graphene is.  Take a toilet bowl.  Do the saran wrap over the bowl practical joke.  Now if the saran wrap over the bowl was graphene, you could put a pencil point down on the graphen, set a four door car on it, and it wouldn't pierce the saran wrap.  It is supposed to be 200 times stronger than steel.

Edit.  And the closest I can find for a density for the stuff is 2 tons per cubic meter.  Steel is 7.8 tons per cubic meter.  Insanely strong stuff.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Serious question:

If I can make 15 billion dollars worth of graphene out of a box of GG cookies, why am I not doing it? It didn't look that hard to do.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Serious question:

If I can make 15 billion dollars worth of graphene out of a box of GG cookies, why am I not doing it? It didn't look that hard to do.

*patiently awaits AAR*

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got two cases of leftover Girl Scout cookies. I'm freaking rich!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Serious question:

Because it's alchemy.

If it's easy to do, it's not worth that much money.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#10]
so, the girl scouts can wipe out the national debt?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#11]

From sugar

Sucrose among other substances such as Plexiglas have been turned quickly and easily into graphene via application to a copper or nickel substrate and being subjected to 800 °C under low pressure with exposure to argon and hydrogen gas. The process takes only ten minutes and is scalable for industrial production. It also allows the manufacturer to modulate the purity of the graphene for applications that require electrical switching.

Sounds easy. There must be a catch.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, there must be some reason they aren't cranking out as much of this magic material as they can.  Maybe it's like the 'industrial' diamonds?  Manmade graphete isn't as desireable as natural?

Cause, yeah, you'd think any profit-driven company out there would be buying the equipment and cranking this shit out, 24/7.  Granted that would drive the market down fast, but that's not stopped Corporate America before....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top