Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2011 7:14:36 PM EDT
Bought this recently and am going to install it soon.  I'm probably the only house in the neighborhood with three phase

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:19:06 PM EDT
For the industrial grade hooker-grinder-upper?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:22:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DuraToTheMax:
For the industrial grade hooker-grinder-upper?

Nah,  I refurbish used equipment on the side and right now I can't afford a building.  So the easiest thing to do in order to power some of the machines was to buy a phase converter.  I work primarily on two equipment manufacturers, one is based out of Israel, the other Japan.  The Japanese tools are all three phase.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:23:09 PM EDT
Cool!

You can get lots of good used machines cheap. 3 phase stuff can be 1/3 the price or less of single phase.

What are you going to run with it?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:25:09 PM EDT
Power company will think you are growing weed......
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:26:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Whamo:
Cool!
You can get lots of good used machines cheap. 3 phase stuff can be 1/3 the price or less of single phase.
What are you going to run with it?

I'd like to get a Bridgeport one day but that is going to take up some valuable garage space.  For now just a bunch of saws that I am re building for resale.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:26:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Timco:
Power company will think you are growing weed......

That's funny cause i just got two 1000w hps setups from my neighbor.  I am probably going to sell them though.  They are single phase but one is selectable voltage.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:29:51 PM EDT
Can't get 3 phase to your garage?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:30:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:32:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By zeekh:
Can't get 3 phase to your garage?

I don't think so.  All my uilities are underground and no industrial area is close.  I probably should have called com ed before buying this but I think having them run 3 phase would cost more than the $1000.00 I have spent.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:32:40 PM EDT
Is that a rotary converter?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:37:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2011 7:39:23 PM EDT by bstonemega]
Originally Posted By Rudolf_Diesel:

Yes, it is much better than a static converter from my research.  Why the ?  do you have a better idea to produce clean three phase power from a single phase source?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2011 7:41:04 PM EDT by krpind]
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:43:58 PM EDT
Here it is illegal to have 3-phase to a residential structure. It is just a different transformer on the pole, but new service to the structure.

So you will have a 2-P 100 running this converter, and a 3-phase panel fed by it? I assume it gives you 208 (Y) so no high-leg? How many amps does it draw to do this?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:44:42 PM EDT
I have a 10 hp phase converter in the garage, but I'll stick with VFDs from here on out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:45:03 PM EDT
CONGRATS! Ill see if I can post a picture later this evening of the setup I put into my garage. Which size did you get?
I went with these guys http://www.americanrotary.com/rotary-phase-converters.html
I went with the diy pro series. I didn't need an idler motor as I got a good deal on a Baldor 10hp 3 phase motor. I have an 80 gallon air compressor, 2 table saws, 2 jointers, a belt disc sander, drill press, and a delta radial arm saw all of which are 3 phase. Believe it or not My electric bills haven't really increased much since I installed it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:47:34 PM EDT
Just tell us all what you expect your utility bill to be. That's what we really want to know.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:49:45 PM EDT
Here it is illegal to have 3-phase to a residential structure. It is just a different transformer on the pole, but new service to the structure.

So you will have a 2-P 100 running this converter, and a 3-phase panel fed by it? I assume it gives you 208 (Y) so no high-leg? How many amps does it draw to do this?

I have a 60 amp panel at 240vac single phase.  I am going to run that to a starter for the 3ph motor, off the 3ph motor to a 20 amp disconnect to a 3ph outlet.  I just want to run one machine at a time on this circuit, all of my machines are rated at less than 15A.  The FLA is 26 for this unit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:50:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bstonemega:
Originally Posted By Rudolf_Diesel:

Yes, it is much better than a static converter from my research.  Why the ?  do you have a better idea to produce clean three phase power from a single phase source?

This is very true. I have 2 Powermatic 66 table saws at my house. One runs off my rotary phase converter and the other (belonging to my dad) is on a static converter. I can tell you from experience that there is no comparison between the static phase converter and the rotary converter. Even if I only had one 3 phase machine I would go with the rotary.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:51:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Elwood_Blues:
I have a 10 hp phase converter in the garage, but I'll stick with VFDs from here on out.

It's not practical to run a VFD to power an entire machine though is it?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 7:53:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Glocker1986:
CONGRATS! Ill see if I can post a picture later this evening of the setup I put into my garage. Which size did you get?
I went with these guys http://www.americanrotary.com/rotary-phase-converters.html
I went with the diy pro series. I didn't need an idler motor as I got a good deal on a Baldor 10hp 3 phase motor. I have an 80 gallon air compressor, 2 table saws, 2 jointers, a belt disc sander, drill press, and a delta radial arm saw all of which are 3 phase. Believe it or not My electric bills haven't really increased much since I installed it.

I'm looking forward to the pic!  I think mine is 7.5hp.  I have a couple machines just waiting for the juice, haven't had time to run the conduit and what not though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:06:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2011 8:08:00 PM EDT by Glocker1986]
Originally Posted By Glocker1986:

I'm looking forward to the pic!  I think mine is 7.5hp.  I have a couple machines just waiting for the juice, haven't had time to run the conduit and what not though.

Its up and runnimg but I ama not done with it. I am going to put all that exposed romex in conduit.There is the idler, phase converter, and my 3 phase panel. Excuse the mess the shop is still under construction.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:09:15 PM EDT
That's pretty good, The starter box looks much nicer than the MEG unit I bought.  What size breaker are you running to that unit?
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:15:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2011 8:16:37 PM EDT by Glocker1986]
That's pretty good, The starter box looks much nicer than the MEG unit I bought.  What size breaker are you running to that unit?

I have it on a 40 amp right now, I have ran multiple machines at the same time and its never tripped. I have a 100 amp service at my shop so as long as Im not running the phase converter and the welder at the same time I shouldn't have an issue.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:18:21 PM EDT

he could get three phase to his house if they put in a three phase pad, which would cost $$$ or installed a three bank xfr on the pole and ran a quad to the house, i just dont really see why you would want to
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:31:39 PM EDT
one thing i did when i was using an idler at my country shop was to add capacitance between the  fed and wild  legs. i think the rule of thumb was 8 mfd/ fl amp. if i remember right, i was within 1% voltage wise between my fed leg and my wild leg, which really helps your motor efficiency. i was running a 7.5 hp idler and powering a cp 200 miller transformer welder.
Top Top