Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/24/2013 9:19:30 AM EST
Anyone here ever dealt with the overseas AAFES harley davidson program? I am thinking about getting a Wide Glide but I have owned a bike much less a motorcycle. Something I always put off doing but I am curious if it is a good deal. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:16:52 AM EST
Originally Posted By Krolden:
Anyone here ever dealt with the overseas AAFES harley davidson program? I am thinking about getting a Wide Glide but I have owned a bike much less a motorcycle. Something I always put off doing but I am curious if it is a good deal. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

have you ever driven a bike before? might consider taking the motorcycle safety class first to find out if it's right for you. we had 1 girl drop out first day because she quickly figured out it wasn't for her.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:05:55 PM EST
I bought a Dodge Charge through the program, made my payments did final financing through USAA, went to the dealership did the final paperwork and drove off.

As the poster above stated, if you haven't taken a motorcycle safety course please consider it. It is much easier to build your skills on a lighter bike, be safe.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:15:20 PM EST
Never riden a bike before.

I'm pretty sure if I ate it a few times in the motorcycle safety course I would still want to ride. I don't think that experience would be a "game changer".
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:24:20 PM EST
Don't buy your first bike that way. Get a beater off Craigslist and ride that for a year.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:39:02 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Never riden a bike before.

I'm pretty sure if I ate it a few times in the motorcycle safety course I would still want to ride. I don't think that experience would be a "game changer".
View Quote

But it may make you decide "Hey, I keep dropping my bike. I should buy a $1500 one to practice and improve my skills on, rather than a $15,000 one."

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:41:47 PM EST
I'm not sure how much the MSF course runs in Texas, but in Louisiana, it's $100.

I can't say that I can have that much fun anywhere else for the money. You do some class time, but you get in a good eight hours of riding in.

I had a buddy that came home from deployment, and picked up his brand new bike from the Harley dealer. He dumped it on the interstate less than two weeks later. Brand new Dyna Glide.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:45:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Don't buy your first bike that way. Get a beater off Craigslist and ride that for a year.
View Quote

+1
I've heard of bikes being "totalled" by insurance for just a "drop". I bought a $4,000 harley off c'list, I'm still riding modifying it. BTW, the first time I "dropped" it I broke my leg. If I had never ridden a bicycle I don't think I would have tried a motorcycle, much less a 700lbs harley. Learn to ride a bicycle, then take MSF course, then buy a SMALL dual sport or cruiser, like 250 upto maybe 650 for a cruiser. You really need to get comfortable with riding. It's like would you try driving a semi truck with a 53 foot trailer if you had never driven a car before?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:12:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By olekennyroy:
I'm not sure how much the MSF course runs in Texas, but in Louisiana, it's $100.

I can't say that I can have that much fun anywhere else for the money. You do some class time, but you get in a good eight hours of riding in.

I had a buddy that came home from deployment, and picked up his brand new bike from the Harley dealer. He dumped it on the interstate less than two weeks later. Brand new Dyna Glide.
View Quote

regardless of how much the MSF course costs you, OMSC will reward you $200 should you take delivery of a bike through them. I should know, i used to handle the program when i worked for them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:20:48 PM EST
Good information, I greatly appreciate all the information.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:48:32 PM EST
Good information, I greatly appreciate all the information.
View Quote

Hit up you unit's motorcycle mentor rep and get hooked up with a BRC course. They should provide you with a bike to ride, and it's free of charge to you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:31:23 PM EST
The only reason I ask is that I've heard you could get a deal through AAFES while your stationed overseas. I have 6 more months here so the thought crossed my mind.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:37:01 PM EST
The only reason I ask is that I've heard you could get a deal through AAFES while your stationed overseas. I have 6 more months here so the thought crossed my mind.
View Quote

IIRC you can also still order through that program while stateside. Go to the AAFES website and check it out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:42:41 PM EST

IIRC you can also still order through that program while stateside. Go to the AAFES website and check it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I knew that but I thought you got some "super discount" if you did while overseas....guess I was wrong.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:59:54 AM EST
Krolden, where are you in Texas?

Big FYI that might really help making a decision on what you like...here in Austin we have a place called "Woods Fun Center". They are exclusively a power sports store. IF YOU HAVE YOUR CLASS MC LICENSE, you can walk in the door and test drive ANY motorcycle there. It's a good way to figure out what you want to ride.

Again, you need your MC class license...which in order to get that and get riding you need to do the following:
1. Take the Motorcycle Safety Course $225 in Texas (I suggest Motofun.net if you're in the Austin area, as they get it done in 2 days vs. Total Rider which does it over 3 days)
2. Go to the TxDps office, take the motorcycle license exam, and get provisional license while new real ID is mailed to you - $15 cost
3. Go to cycle gear, try on helmets....get you head sized, and buy one off Craigslist cheap that is Snell certified (they are all DOT certified at minimum)
4. Go try motorcycles at Woods Fun Center to figure out what you like
5. Go to houston/dallas/SA craigslist, and find the cheap used version of the bike you liked there. These cities will have cheapest prices on bikes
6. Buy BRAND NEW GEAR BEFORE YOU START RIDING. This includes: boots, NEW HELMET, gloves, jacket, and maybe some under the pants shin/knee guards.
7. Insure your bike with someone like Progessive who also insures your gear that you wear

Learn this phrase: ATGATT (All the gear, ALL THE TIME)

8. Ride ride ride, and then ride some more!

Side note - You WILL go down. It's not a question of "if", it's a matter of "when". It happens. It usually happens within your first year of riding. Another reason not to buy a brand new, shiny, expensive bike. Get something used, a little older...and learn how to maintain it. Motorcycle riding is a lot about the ride....but there's also a lot of new maintenance involved compared to a car. Example, you need to lube your chain every 500 miles. You need to be able to adjust your chain tension. Tires only last 5-10k miles. You can't wash a bike with a hose, the output from the hose is too much pressure and will hurt your bike. Etc etc etc. Once you get all the basics down, you will be elated you waited to get your first shiny new ride. You will appreciate it so much more vs it just being a new shiny toy you can show off.

Lastly, don't be a squid.

SQUID:
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:31:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By sHockz:
Lastly, don't be a squid.

SQUID:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s185/TXGrunt0700/squid232.jpg
View Quote

I kept reading references to squids, but had no idea what people were talking about.

OP, I spent a lot of time talking to people who have been riding and racing for years, including a thread on this board. Buy a used motorcycle for your first one. Something that handles well, is stable on turns, and brakes well. The MSF course was great, by the way. Many people take it more than once.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:06:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/25/2013 9:25:28 AM EST by K1rodeoboater]
Originally Posted By abnk:

I kept reading references to squids, but had no idea what people were talking about.

OP, I spent a lot of time talking to people who have been riding and racing for years, including a thread on this board. Buy a used motorcycle for your first one. Something that handles well, is stable on turns, and brakes well. The MSF course was great, by the way. Many people take it more than once.
View Quote
I've taken 3 different MSF courses, multiple times.....fucking .mil requirements

And yeah the first time I heard the term Squid I had no idea what they were talking about either.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:05:10 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:43:40 AM EST
Definitely take the MSF class first. After that, go to several dealerships and sit on a bunch of bikes and see what fits you best. If you want to buy new, then look at the new Honda line up. They are pretty much designed for getting new riders on the road.

PS. Ignore the folks who tell you to overlook the small displacement bikes because you will outgrow them. They help you learn the fundamentals, and when you get really good on them you can smoke people on bigger and faster bikes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:04:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2013 8:04:38 AM EST by Hoplophile]
Since the OP was asking about Harleys, how not to ride a cruiser:

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:54:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By AASG:
more squid
View Quote

Damn! Check out those compilation videos. Fuck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:04:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By Hoplophile:
Since the OP was asking about Harleys, how not to ride a cruiser:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1381999_426711574099715_99204148_n.jpg
View Quote

Hey, it's the Harley version of a squid!
Top Top