Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/11/2004 10:37:55 PM EST
What's a good affordable On Star type G.P.S. for road travel?

I have a friend moving cross country, and she wants to have a navigation sytem added toher car before she leave. She says she does not want mobile/removeable system.

I have no experience in this area. I'm hoping the ARFCOM gurus can help.
I'm looking makes, models and general price range.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:17:39 PM EST
On Star is a subscription service. It must be factory installed, I believe, and she must subscribe and ask them for help each time she wants it. For that kind of money, she should absolutely consider using a handheld model for around $200 with mapping capability, or consider spending a few hundred more and buy one of the Streetpilot type units. GPS is a wonderful thing, and should not be limited to the road. By the way, if you have a car with OnStar, only they have access to theGPS info, you must pay their subscription, even though you are driving around with all the hardware-minus the display.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 11:29:59 PM EST
A full blown GPS (in-dash, CD/DVD for source data) is NOT going to be cheap.

A Garmin StreetPilot will give you all the function that most anyone could need in a small, easy to install package.

www.garmin.com/mobile/products.html

I've used GPS of one sort or another in my vehicles for 10 years.

My last stand-alone GPS setup was a Garmin III. I currently use a Delorme TripMate coupled to my Think Pad running StreetAtlas.

As pointed out, OnStar is a whole nother thing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:19:07 AM EST
She specifically said that she doesnt want a hand held model. It sounds like that's what she's going to end up with though. Maybe a handheld, mounted in the car/dash/console? I'm thinking something like the old car phone mounts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:20:21 AM EST
My tin foil hat society prohibits me from having onstar
Top Top