Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/30/2005 2:51:40 PM EDT
Anybody done an on board air system for thier 4x4?

I found a nice York compressor from a '79 ford that is going to be the main pump and I found the clutch/serpentine pully from Kilby enterprises but I was curious as to how any of you guys set theirs up. I'm going to use the empty mount point where my stock a/c compressor would go and plan on running a quick connect to the front and back and mounting an air tank underneith somewhere. This will be in a '94 Wrangler YJ by the way.

Anybody have any input or pics?

Thanks!

Jeff
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:19:47 PM EDT
I've never had one, but for what it is worth... i've always heard great things about Kilby and Viair
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:23:19 PM EDT
I was thinking of remote mounting it remotely on a geared 12V motor. The serpentine system on mine is too packed already, and my a/c aint goin anywhere!

Then... <<evil grin>> I will get my freight train horn.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:25:41 PM EDT
Also, that 79 unit should be R-12. If I remember my Thermo stuff right, that should be around 80-100psi system. R134a is much higher, like 300-400psi, and CO2(albeit very rare) is around 600psi.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:23:32 PM EDT
I'm hoping to get around 90 to 100 sustained in the air tank. Then I can use air tools as well. I'll post some pics whenever I actually get the damned thing put together!

I have a 4 banger in my Jeep with no air and no PS. I'm betting I could run it all the time and not even notice!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:09:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 10:11:13 PM EDT by CSM]
I love simplicity, IE your 4banger jeep. I just traced down a vacuum leak in my Ram. There are vac lines that pass the tailshaft of the tranny! Too gomplicated.

I like the old stuff, I played around with a 72 charger this summer. I can do a motor swap in that in a morning, and have it running and driving racing that evening. Distributor swap? 3min, intake swap? 20min. Computer reprogram? get your jet kit out.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 11:28:32 PM EDT by FLCO]
I had an on-board air setup on my truck and I had a few problems:

1)I could not get the air volume I needed without the compressor overheating due to lack of lubrication.

2)It blows by ALOT of oil so keeping it properly lubricated was a challange.

3)When compressing air the pump produces alot of heat witch is transfered through the compressed air, thus a heat resistant air hose is a must as the heat will melt dot tubing.

4)A pressure switch on the tank and a heat switch on the compressor is a must, however a manual override is good idea.

Those were just some issues I had, but that was when using the compressors was relatively new (3-4 years ago). My suggestion would be to check out the custom truck forums and see what they are using on their setups. With a bit of reasearch I sure you can acheive a relatively reliable setup that can perform to your expectations.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:59:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:24:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AUT_BELLUM:
The best on board compressors.

Those are good compressors. They actually use the same York compressor unit I'm using. I just want to do a belt driven set up.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:32:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FLCO:
I had an on-board air setup on my truck and I had a few problems:

1)I could not get the air volume I needed without the compressor overheating due to lack of lubrication.
Did you use a York or a Sandeen compressor? Yorks have an oil resevoir that needs to be checked periodically.

2)It blows by ALOT of oil so keeping it properly lubricated was a challange.
I plan on using a seperator. Did you plug the oil bypass hole by the main shaft under the clutch/pully assembly? I'm told that helps a lot.
3)When compressing air the pump produces alot of heat witch is transfered through the compressed air, thus a heat resistant air hose is a must as the heat will melt dot tubing.
I'm planning on using copper from the compressor to the main manifold to help with heat disipation. Any recommendations on hose? I'm thinking using hydrolic hoses.
4)A pressure switch on the tank and a heat switch on the compressor is a must, however a manual override is good idea.
I'm thinking of putting a pop off valve on the tank

Those were just some issues I had, but that was when using the compressors was relatively new (3-4 years ago). My suggestion would be to check out the custom truck forums and see what they are using on their setups. With a bit of reasearch I sure you can acheive a relatively reliable setup that can perform to your expectations.

Here are some of the sites I've been looking at thus far. Seems way high on the cool factor!
www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_mounting.html
home.comcast.net/~jwtrapper/wsb/html/york
www.mhjcontherocks.com/Commu...iteUps/243.aspx
www.kilbyenterprises.com/faq.htm
www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technica.../YorkPulley.htm
www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/body/york/
www.rockcrawler.com/techrepo...k_mod/index.asp
www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technica...dAirNoVBelt.htm
www.rockcrawler.com/techrepo...page3.htm#onoff
www.stu-offroad.com/otherwriteups/oba/oba-1.htm
longhornoffroad.com/pages/wr...oba/yorkoba.htm
www.creeperjeepers.org/OBA.html