Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2007 4:49:13 PM EST
I have been a lifelong (though sometimes reluctant) baseball fan. Despite being foreign born I have spent long enough in the United States (including 3 years as a pitcher for an NCAA Division I baseball team) to love the sport.

Being as how my adoptive hometown is Chicago, where I have lived on-and-off for the last 25 or so years, I have always had a soft spot for the Cubs. Not just a soft spot really, but a bittersweet affection.

Bleacher tickets were $6 at one point when I was younger and there was no better way to cut class than sit up there and talk a beer vendor into serving you. (Such things as underaged drinking some afternoon on a school day weren't as drama laden back then apparently). We discovered one year that our high school English professor was also a beer vendor over the summer break by ordering a pair of beers from him. (He served us with a smile).

Back in my freshman year of high school my best friend and I got into opening day by wrapping tickets from the year before in a $10 bill. The gate guard took one look at us, laughed and waved us by.

My family owned a house east of Sheffield and less than two blocks north of Waveland for almost two decades. You could hear the national anthem or a close foul ball (AAAHHHHH-ohhhhhhh!) from our front porch.

Back when they wanted to put the lights in, Tribune (with the complicity of our old friend Bernie Hansen the longtime 44th Ward Alderman), smoothed over a few ruffled homeowner feathers (particularly those in the neighborhood association who were making noise) by offering 4 season tickets for the household as long as the name on the deed remained the same. We had been planning to sell back then, but instead held onto the property until just a few years ago (not just because of the tickets of course, I was living in New York mostly at the time and the house spent a lot of time empty) when developers finally offered so much we couldn't say no anymore. (9 months after the developer paid us they lost their financing, their project fell apart and what was once our charming single family home is still a big pile of dirt today. I walked by and looked at it sadly last night, after watching the Cubs lose from the third base line). Tribune made noise twice about not giving us our promised seasons towards the end. A quick fax to an old friend fairly high up in Tribune along with a copy of the nearly 20 year old agreement put a rapid end to any protest.

The thing I think most non-locals fail to realize is how much of a neighborhood park Wrigley really is. That's a trendy thing to say, that Wrigley is a neighborhood park, but it really is right in the midst of a very charming neighborhood. "Wrigleyville" has changed, of course, but most of the homes nearby were originally larger, single family walk ups (even a few Tudors and Victorians) that had been in the same hands for decades and decades. Some of the homes on Alta Vista haven't changed hands since the Cubs were last in the series (the entire block was modeled on London's Mayfair and built between 1900 and 1904). There is just a very close and close-knit community in Wrigleyville. We never even locked our front door, now that I think about it. My cousin lived there for three years and never even had a key.

That's part of the problem with Wrigley, and by extension, The Cubs. They never really had to win to fill the park. Going back to 1984, you pretty much have 2 million in paid attendance every season- year in year out. Closer to 3 million after 1998. A random Tuesday in May would have the park stuffed to the gills at 1:20pm even if the Cubs were scraping for dead last. You could look around the park and see bankers, lawyers, along with undergrads and families. I wouldn't pay a lot for a roster either, were I Tribune. There's no upside.

I could tell a million stories about living near Wrigley. About my friend who claims (quite credibly) to have had sex with his girlfriend on home plate after sneaking into the park at 3am one summer. About my former co-worker who met his wife when he spilled a full beer over her head in the bleachers (she slapped him silly, they went out to dinner that night). About finding the wallet of a father of four on the street (money still in it) and by random chance overhearing him on a payphone 10 minutes later near Murphy's bleachers calling in his credit cards (he was a Cardinal's fan but we gave him his wallet back anyhow). Walking down Waveland to see a Chicago Police Officer who, from the drivers seat in his parked patrol car reached out of the window with his left hand to bare-hand a home run that had bounced onto Waveland. (The officer then drove up to a fan and asked who had hit the ball. On hearing it was a Philly, he stepped out of his cruiser and expertly hurled it back into left field to the crazed adulation of the bleacher fans who had seen the entire thing play out).

If you haven't spent much time there, it's just hard to convey to you why it's just "different."

So now Tribune has sold itself to Sam Zell, and Zell will spin off the Cubs who will, in all likelihood, become privately held by a Billionaire Chicagoan as a Vanity Investment. Good! No reason now to spend some money on the roster. But then I wonder, will Wrigley be the same after a series? There is a certain shared adversity in being a Cubs fan. Could that be the same if they were world champions?

Yes, it's sad to see the Cubs lose. And it is hard not to feel that we are "due." No, I'm not a rabid fan. I am a dedicated one, however. And sometimes it puzzles me how much animosity can surround baseball discussion. Who can hate the Cubs? There is so much frustration and pain that you have to become something of a Stoic about the game to watch the Cubs. To spit on Cubs fans is to spit on a homeless man. Why get riled up in the hype? Is baseball too boring without trash talking and boasting? But then, isn't that what baseball is? It's the national pass time. Not a sport, right?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:03:46 PM EST
Hello Austrian, was a die hard through grade school and high school. Went to every home game in summer, the $3 bleacher seat were for the bums, I upgraded for the $3.50 grandstand seats.
Gave up on those overpaid idiots about fifteen years ago. I liked the neighborhood when it was semi-scary at night. Now it's so trendy with fags and posers everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:05:30 PM EST
Ernie Banks Ron Santo and Andy Frain. One of these guys was never a baseball player.
Yep Im a cubs fan thru and thru.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:09:01 PM EST
Austrian,
I too lived in Chitown for about a decade in the 90's on 659 W. Wrightwood. Nice little apartment in a great location. I too echo your sentiments about that part of Chicago and Wrigleyville. Worked at Cubby and other local places part time at nights after being a banker all day. I had a friend at the BluePlate and he'd call me at work and say he's working rooftop (Waveland) and to come to the stairs and pick up a couple of cases of sodas he'd hide under some boxes and bring them up to the roof and just empty them into the water tubs ,and then just "blend in" to the others. Nice days.Miss them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:11:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:15:33 PM EST
If I hadn't ever gotten older, (and married a Cards fan), I probably wouldn't care that they keep not making it to the big show, but, now, they need to stop being the doormat and start being a storied franchise.

Seriously, 3 post season appearances in 10 years (98, 03, 07) ain't shabby, but they could be better.

Yes, I remember the shawn-o-meter. .2xx and Rising!

I remember one game that the Cubs were behind 9 or something runs. The WGN cameras found a guy near home plate with a notebook, who wrote in big letters: We only need 9 runs or some such.

The Cubs proceeded to score 10 or 11 over the next 9 innings to win. The cameras kept going back to the guy and he kept writing a new note.

I remember Grace hitting a walk off homer down the 1st base line; it rattled the screen to the inside of the foul pole.

I remember watching the Hawk just get missed by a high and tight fastball, get up, and GLARE at the pitcher. The next high fastball was deposited on Waveland.

Fun times.

Fun fact: I'm not from Chicago or even from the Midwest. I've been to 1, yes 1, Cubs game at Wrigley (and one game period) in 30 years on this earth.

But, I'd like them to win it once, just to shut everybody else up.

TR
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:16:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2007 5:18:15 PM EST by SnoopisTDI]

Originally Posted By Conspiro-Agnew:
I've never been a baseball fan, but I've always been a Cubs fan. I grew up with Ryan Sandberg and the Shawn-o-meter in outfield. Andre Dawson and Mark Grace. I grew up watching visiting team homeruns get tossed back into the field and seeing the start of the season ivy wall slowly come to life in glorious green. I too have a lot of memories of the Cubs, and were it not for them, I would never pay attention to baseball at all.

Well, I do like watching stats change in the papers, but as far as watching games and keeping up with a team, it's always been the Cubs for me.

Ryne!

ETA: Sadly, even though I grew up in Chicago suburbs, I've never been to a game at Wrigley Field. I did finally get to see the Cubs play earlier this year, when they came here to play the Rangers. We had more Cubs fans than Rangers fans!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:21:18 PM EST
Don't look at me - my team won the pennant 14 years in a row, then crashed and burned the last two seasons.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:23:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2007 5:28:12 PM EST by rob78]

Originally Posted By SnoopisTDI:

Originally Posted By Conspiro-Agnew:
I've never been a baseball fan, but I've always been a Cubs fan. I grew up with Ryan Sandberg and the Shawn-o-meter in outfield. Andre Dawson and Mark Grace. I grew up watching visiting team homeruns get tossed back into the field and seeing the start of the season ivy wall slowly come to life in glorious green. I too have a lot of memories of the Cubs, and were it not for them, I would never pay attention to baseball at all.

Well, I do like watching stats change in the papers, but as far as watching games and keeping up with a team, it's always been the Cubs for me.

Ryne!

ETA: Sadly, even though I grew up in Chicago suburbs, I've never been to a game at Wrigley Field. I did finally get to see the Cubs play earlier this year, when they came here to play the Rangers. We had more Cubs fans than Rangers fans!

+1

"The Hawk" (Andre Dawson) was my favorite baseball player as a kid. I distinctly remember watching him (at Wrigley) throw, flat footed, from right field to left field...frozen ropes.

The poor Cubbies have been "my team" as long as I can remember. Didn't hurt that my parents were yankees and my dad grew up in the area.

I agree with the OP...it won't be the same if they were world champs...the fair weather fans would inevitably materialize out of the woodwork.

Hell, I've still got the Bears and Notre Dame

ETA: Beem to see 5 games at Wrigley Field. By far the most enjoyable MLB experience...and it certainly wasn't the on-field play.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:29:31 PM EST
I attended game one of the NLDS here in Phoenix.

I was far less than impressed with the surly attitude exhibited by the Cubs fans I saw inside and outside the park (even before game one began). Seriously, I've never before seen such displays of asshattery outside of New York stadiums.

You'll get no sympathy here...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:33:54 PM EST
I am not a huge baseball fan, but I do watch the game from time to time and have followed the Reds of and on since I was a kid. That said, I do like the Cubs and have nothing against them. I'd love to see them win the World Series to be honest. Unlike the Yankees and certain other teams that have been there so many times, it's easy to pull for the Cubs, even if you're a fan of another team.

Oh, and Wrigley Field gets my vote as one of the top baseball facilities in the nation of all time. The place just has character, unlike many of the latest generation stadiums. I miss the old parks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:49:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By The_Friendly_Sponge:

I was far less than impressed with the surly attitude exhibited by the Cubs fans I saw inside and outside the park (even before game one began). Seriously, I've never before seen such displays of asshattery outside of New York stadiums.

I went to both games, and had the same experience with A hole cubs fans. Between all the drunken cursing, I managed to gather that cubs fans think they are the best because they always sell out in Chicago. They also like to talk about what a dump Phoenix is even though they moved here. I can understand that they want to root for their team, but talking shit to groups of Dbacks fans in the parking lot after the playoff game they just lost is pretty pathetic. They think they are superior to Dbacks fans because we are just an expansion team. They have no respect for the Dbacks solid showings in past playoffs, or our world series win. I had never been to a cubs game, so my experience at both games last week is all I know about Cubs fans. My final impression is that they are arrogant and have a hard time dealing with the fact that they have sucked balls for 100 years. I apologize to Cubs fans who are not morons(they must not live in Phoenix).
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:51:24 PM EST
Great read. I'm a Cubs fan because of WGN and my grandfather.

He didn't like the Cubs, but he did watch a lot of baseball and WGN always had a day game on in the mid 80s.

So I guess I should thank my late grandfather for my undying love for the Cubs...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:55:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By azeyecap:
They have no respect for the Dbacks solid showings in past playoffsor our world series win.

What solid showings in past playoffs?

Other than 2001 and this season, Arizona has done exactly jack shit.

This is their fourth postseason appearance.

Arizona Diamondbacks Postseason History

October 6, 2007

YEAR OPPONENT PLAYOFF RECORD
----- -------- ------- ------

2007 Chicago Cubs NLDS 3-0

2002 St. Louis Cardinals NLDS 0-3

2001 St. Louis Cardinals NLDS 3-2
Atlanta Braves NLCS 4-1
New York Yankees World Series 4-3

1999 New York Mets NLDS 1-3

World Series: 4-3
NLCS: 4-1
NLDS: 7-8

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:16:17 PM EST

Four post season appearances for an expansion team in 9 seasons, I think that is pretty good for a sport where only 8 teams go to the playoffs a year. +1 It looks like the Cubs only went three times in that time period.HA-HA!

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:46:29 PM EST
Heh, my home team growing up was the KC Royals. The '85 Series and George Brett made life great as a 6 year old. My parents were SOOOO cool because they managed to get tickets to the Series. Also really liked the Cards and Ozzy Smith, as long as they weren't playing in KC

You want a rowdy crowd -- Go to Fenway when the Yankees are in town.

I haven't followed either team, but I went to a game out there (its Fenway Park...I couldn't NOT go) and the Boston fans sure have something against A-Rod.

And anyone who never heard Jack Buck call a Cardinals game on the radio has missed a truly great experience. RIP Jack.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:16:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By bala_shark:
Also really liked the Cards and Ozzy Smith, as long as they weren't playing in KC
And anyone who never heard Jack Buck call a Cardinals game on the radio has missed a truly great experience. RIP Jack.

Ozzy is the reason I love baseball.

I spent many summer afternoons listening to Jack Buck, the greatest announcer to ever do baseball play by play. Damn, I miss him.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:24:31 PM EST

Was that Joe Buck's father?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:05:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 1:55:45 PM EST by 4xDawn]
nm.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:05:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By 4xDawn:
I paid a lot of money, to see my hometown team get swept. Just today, in our house. <sigh>

My brother and his wife are still crying in their beers....

Need to change the name back to the "California Angels".
No magic in the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim ."

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:09:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By KA3B:

I paid a lot of money, to see my hometown team get swept. Just today, in our house. <sigh>

My brother and his wife are still crying in their beers....

Need to change the name back to the "California Angels".
No magic in the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim ."

pages.globetrotter.net/bb/pennants/mlbal/CaliforniaAngels_CA_Stripes.jpg

It was not well received when they changed the name to "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim." Los Angeles has their Dodgers. we aren't even close to LA. People that live here kind of laugh at it now. It was done for media coverage.

Its all good, They had a good year, and I'm sure they will do well next year too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:09:37 PM EST

Just be glad Frank stopped Reggie from shooting the queen, otherwise your franchise would have been banished to the PCL.

Man, I loved those silly ass Naked Gun movies. They were great.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:14:52 PM EST
Well, as a Cardinals fan, I just can't be upset about the Cubs losing...

Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:

Also really liked the Cards and Ozzy Smith, as long as they weren't playing in KC

I spent many summer afternoons listening to Jack Buck, the greatest announcer to ever do baseball play by play. Damn, I miss him.

Ozzie!

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:

Yes. Jack Buck is Joe Buck's father.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:29:56 PM EST

I went to both games, and had the same experience with A hole cubs fans. Between all the drunken cursing, I managed to gather that cubs fans think they are the best because they always sell out in Chicago. They also like to talk about what a dump Phoenix is even though they moved here. I can understand that they want to root for their team, but talking shit to groups of Dbacks fans in the parking lot after the playoff game they just lost is pretty pathetic. They think they are superior to Dbacks fans because we are just an expansion team. They have no respect for the Dbacks solid showings in past playoffs, or our world series win. I had never been to a cubs game, so my experience at both games last week is all I know about Cubs fans. My final impression is that they are arrogant and have a hard time dealing with the fact that they have sucked balls for 100 years. I apologize to Cubs fans who are not morons(they must not live in Phoenix).

What you folks need to realize is that 90% or more of those people hadn't been to a game since maybe 2003.

The fair weather fan phenomenon is obnoxious. The real Cub fans can't stand 'em any more than you.

Austrian: Great post - I, too remember the 6 dollar bleacher tickets, skipping school on Friday, taking the train to the park.

In a way, it is a lot different now. Even discounting the fair weather fan phenomenon, the bleacher crowd has changed a lot. Sometimes I think the crowd at Murphy's is better than the crowd in the real Bleachers.

I haven't been to a a game now in two years, and will probably miss next year - but there is somethign about that neighborhood that always welcomes you back each time.

I'll be getting tickets outside of the bleachers from now on, though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:36:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

I'm in a mood...

But good post

I went to my first Angels game when I was 3. THIS is my home team, stadium, and always has been.

Good god, I hate day games, I get goofy when I start drinking beer, and eating peanuts at noon.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:38:38 PM EST

I'm in a mood...

But good post

I went to my first Angels game when I was 3. THIS is my home team, stadium, and always has been.

Good god, I hate day games, I get goofy when I start drinking beer, and eating peanuts at noon.

Baseball is meant to be played during the day.

August 8th, 1988 still sticks in my mind ambivalently.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:42:03 PM EST

Im glad I finally found something that I wholeheartedly agree with you on.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:47:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2007 9:49:58 PM EST by 4xDawn]

I give away all of my day games. I like baseball, with a cold beer, in the evenings.

In did go to a day game today...

Not enough beer in the world to get away from this one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:48:28 PM EST

Im glad I finally found something that I wholeheartedly agree with you on.

I've hated night games since little league.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:52:07 PM EST

I LOVE night games. I love the lights, the feel...

Whats wrong with you?

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:59:14 PM EST

I LOVE night games. I love the lights, the feel...

Whats wrong with you?

I hate mosquitoes.

I hate gnats.

I like getting home at a decent hour - or going to dinner and bars after a game.

I hate the way the ball looks in cheap lights in little league ball parks.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:15:37 PM EST
Cubs suck. That's all you need to know.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:16:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By BlueNoteExpress:
Well, as a Cardinals fan, I just can't be upset about the Cubs losing...

Ozzie!

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:

Yes. Jack Buck is Joe Buck's father.

I miss Jack Buck. I remember sitting in the stands back in the 80s... my dad had season tickets between 3rd and home plate, I don't know how many rows up... they weren't expensive, but they weren't nosebleeds either. I can't tell you how many games we went to together, just the two of us. How many sunburns I got as a kid. God those were the good days.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:29:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By Storm6436:
I miss Jack Buck. I remember sitting in the stands back in the 80s... my dad had season tickets between 3rd and home plate, I don't know how many rows up... they weren't expensive, but they weren't nosebleeds either. I can't tell you how many games we went to together, just the two of us. How many sunburns I got as a kid. God those were the good days.

I miss those days too, but we live about 4 hours from St.louis so we only went a couple times a year and it always was a big deal. Back when I was little in the early 90's we could get tickets down only a handful of rows from the field.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:37:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By Austrian:
But then, isn't that what baseball is? It's the national pass time. Not a sport, right?

No actually its
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:13:08 PM EST

I'll never forget the tarp water slide...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:39:00 AM EST
This therad brings back a lot of memories. Skiping school opening day and going to the game. One year my father even drove some of us to the opener. I think he did the same thing when he was a kid. Then there was the time my uncle cas took me to a game. He wanted to see Kingman hit a homer so bad. Well Kingman hit that homer! To bad uncle cas was taking a leak / getting another beer and missed it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:04:24 AM EST
The Yankees live to fight another day!

Dead Sox suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!

And who gives a rats ass about the National League?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:22:35 AM EST
Great times when my grandfather would take me out of school and go see the Cubs play back in the sixties. Also, my dad worked for the Tribune and would take us to Billygoats all the time...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:25:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 3:26:51 AM EST by 444]
There are a number of baseball franchises that could be considered "national teams" and the Cubs are certainly one of them. I guess it is because of WGN. For a long time, here in Las Vegas, if you were a baseball fan, the only baseball you could get on TV was the Cubs and the Braves. I watched a lot of Cubs games.
Thank God for Direct TV and XM radio.
I am not a Cubs fan but I have probably seen close to a dozen Cubs spring training games. I have been on an elevator with Mark Grace and had a conversation with him. I have had a conversation with Harry Carey when we were both taking cover in a stairway during a rain delay. I have eaten in Steve Stones restruant in Mesa Arizona a bunch of times while a lot of Cubs players were in there.
A guy I work with is a die hard Cubs fan. We share the misery and joy of rooting for also ran teams. I am a Pirates fan. They have been to the series a number of times and have won the whole thing 4-5 times but after 1979 just quit trying.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:27:08 AM EST
Austrian,

I hear ya.
I grew up with "Tigers Stadium". Watched Norm Cash crank one into the "Stroh it home" sign in right field on my 10th birthday.

Now we have "Comerica Park".

I ain't a Cubs Fan per say, but follow them as they are just around the horn from here, and spent many an afternoon at wrigley.

It's a sellout, and a sad day.

S-28
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:32:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By Storm6436:

I miss those days too, but we live about 4 hours from St.louis so we only went a couple times a year and it always was a big deal. Back when I was little in the early 90's we could get tickets down only a handful of rows from the field.

Yeah, it's too bad Jack Buck isn't still around. He was definitely one of the best.

Originally Posted By mstem:
The Yankees live to fight another day!

Dead Sox suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!!!

And who gives a rats ass about the National League?

Go Indians! I hate the Yankees.

I, for one, care about the National League where they play real baseball. I'm sorry, but I think the whole concept of the DH is crap.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:48:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By RAINBOW6:

Originally Posted By Austrian:
But then, isn't that what baseball is? It's the national pass time. Not a sport, right?

No actually its

It is hard to be offended, when this comes form the guy whose screen name is from a video game.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:39:39 AM EST

What you folks need to realize is that 90% or more of those people hadn't been to a game since maybe 2003.

The fair weather fan phenomenon is obnoxious. The real Cub fans can't stand 'em any more than you.

Austrian: Great post - I, too remember the 6 dollar bleacher tickets, skipping school on Friday, taking the train to the park.

In a way, it is a lot different now. Even discounting the fair weather fan phenomenon, the bleacher crowd has changed a lot. Sometimes I think the crowd at Murphy's is better than the crowd in the real Bleachers.

I haven't been to a a game now in two years, and will probably miss next year - but there is somethign about that neighborhood that always welcomes you back each time.

I'll be getting tickets outside of the bleachers from now on, though.

I always got a kick out of driving down there, and paying someone $5.00 to park in their garage. The people are great. After going to a few Tigers games at Briggs (Old Tiger Stadium), you always wondered if you were even going to have a car to come back to.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:45:19 AM EST
Nice write up.

Tell your sister to stop in and say hi sometime.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:48:31 AM EST
Ball and stick sports = meh.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:50:25 AM EST
I've never understood how people can let their lives revolve around such a boring, pointless "sport". Hey, wow, some dude hit a ball with a stick... let's collect reams of statistics about it and recite them to anyone who can't immediately escape! Hey, let's go blow a weeks' pay watching a bunch of multimillionaires play against a bunch of other multimillionaires! Yo, get me an $8 watered-down beer and a $10 stale hot dog, please! What did I just step in? Oh well, let's go shout expletives and insults at someone because they're rooting for a different group of overpaid whiners than I am!

woo.

hoo.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:52:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By jnojr:
I've never understood how people can let their lives revolve around such a boring, pointless "sport". Hey, wow, some dude hit a ball with a stick... let's collect reams of statistics about it and recite them to anyone who can't immediately escape! Hey, let's go blow a weeks' pay watching a bunch of multimillionaires play against a bunch of other multimillionaires! Yo, get me an $8 watered-down beer and a $10 stale hot dog, please! What did I just step in? Oh well, let's go shout expletives and insults at someone because they're rooting for a different group of overpaid whiners than I am!

woo.

hoo.

Thank you for your input. I hope this helped you with whatever issues you have had. You might also try hitting pillows in the future.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:54:32 AM EST

woo.

hoo.

Thank you for your contribution to the thread. Maybe Ill follow you around arfcom and tell you all of your interests are stupid.

Its like my mom always said, if you dont have anything nice to say, shut the fuck up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:56:26 AM EST
tag for later
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:22:04 AM EST

woo.

hoo.

It's kind of like that first girl you fall in love with...

when you've played the game, the love just never goes away.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top