Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2007 2:33:35 AM EDT
News link

MAHA -- Holiday shoppers scattered in terror Wednesday as a young gunman sprayed a shopping mall with gunfire, killing eight people and wounding five others before he fatally shot himself.

Nebraska public safety officials and witnesses said most of the casualties were inside the Von Maur department store at the Westroads Mall on Omaha's west side. The 20-year-old assailant, who wore military-style camouflage, opened fire from the store's third floor shortly after 1 p.m., targeting employees and customers with a semi-automatic weapon, witnesses said.

"At first I thought somebody was hammering, and then I realized nobody could hammer that fast," said Keith Fidler, a Von Maur store associate who said he watched in horror as the gunman shot an employee standing a few feet away. The victim collapsed near an escalator, Fidler said. "It was quiet for a few seconds, and then I heard a burst of about 30 to 50 rounds."

The shooter, whom Omaha Police Chief Thomas Warren identified as Robert Hawkins, left several suicide notes. In an evening news conference, Warren declined to speculate on Hawkins' motives, saying: "When you have an incident of this nature, it may be impossible to come up with an explanation."

Police and sheriff's officers swarmed into the mall within minutes, tending to the wounded and ushering out dozens of panicked customers and employees who were hiding inside bathrooms and dressing rooms.

"Everybody was scared, and we didn't know what was going on," said Belene Esaw-Kagbara, 31, another Von Maur employee. "We didn't know what to do. I was praying that God protect us."

Occurring just three weeks before Christmas, the Omaha slayings came as a stark reminder that crowded American malls are potential targets for violence. In February, five people were slain at the Trolley Square Mall in Salt Lake City by a gunman who was then killed by police.

Wednesday's death toll marked the worst shooting rampage in Nebraska since 1958, when teenager Charles Starkweather gunned down nine people during a two-day murder spree across the state.

Less than an hour after the first 911 calls were received, Omaha police found Hawkins' body. Warren said an SKS semi-automatic rifle was recovered at the crime scene. ABC News reported that officials said the weapon had two loaded magazines taped together -- a technique that enables a shooter to reload quickly.

>snip<

They actually didn't refer to the weapon as "full auto" or "machinegun"
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 2:36:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe this is one of the signs of the end times.

I bet some libtard editor at the paper is crapping his pants right now.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 2:36:52 AM EDT
[#2]
And they didnt call an SKS-D an "AK47"
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 2:39:22 AM EDT
[#3]
 HHMMMMMMM...SKS seems to be an effective weapon!...Has Tapco come out with a 50 rd mag?
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 2:42:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 HHMMMMMMM...SKS seems to be an effective weapon!

Yeah, against a group of unarmed and unsuspecting innocent people, nice observation.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 2:43:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, against a group of unarmed and unsuspecting innocent people, nice observation.

Thankyou Sir...May I have another?
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 2:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Too bad he wasn't taken out by a guy with a carry permit...
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 2:48:39 AM EDT
[#7]
That's what happens in criminal safe zones.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 2:57:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I believe this is one of the signs of the end times.

I bet some libtard editor at the paper is crapping his pants right now.

Maybe they're getting their sh*t together.  No, not that silly; they're getting their ducks in a row for the next wave of GC.  Perhaps they're thinking that a lack of widespread education led to the failure of the last ban.  

NEVER underestimate the enemy.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 3:03:36 AM EDT
[#9]
My local news keeps calling it an assault weapon.
No reference to the actual make/model of firearm.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 3:04:06 AM EDT
[#10]
dims and media buddies do not want to start gun control debate with elections next year.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 3:09:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
dims and media buddies do not want to start gun control debate with elections next year.

My own personal belief as well.

They'll focus on the economy, the Iraq War and all the other nastiness can be avoided until after they take office.

Link Posted: 12/6/2007 3:14:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to shit on ya Stumps but even though the SKS is not exactly HSLD. He did manage to kill 8 people while wounding only 5. This may be due to the fact that he was a good shot or because the round is an efficient one for its intended purpose. Maybe a combination of both.

I do not think that this in any way should be made light of but it is a situation of real world usage of the platform and the round. He should burn in hell for his actions
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 3:38:10 AM EDT
[#13]
  It is a sign of the end times, but not how you would imagine.
The media is now starting to attack the semi-automatic rifle
in response to the upcoming Supreme Court situation.

I can hear the newscasters now:

"  These rifles are capable of firing a projectile faster than the speed of sound,
and will reload automatically until the shooter stops firing or runs out of ammunition,
which enabled the gunman to kill as many shoppers as possible."

Oh teh noes, liberal commentater.  

COL. Craig Roberts warned that this would happen.
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 3:38:57 AM EDT
[#14]
He was a bad shot if there were 30 - 50 round bursts and he only killed 8 people.

He was just firing at random enjoying the sound of rapid fire.

This is not making lite and I am sure others are picking this to death as well.

He will be in hell if there is one
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Too bad he wasn't taken out by a guy with a carry permit...

While that would be cool, don't forget he was firing from a third floor elevation.

Superior firepower from an elevated position doesn't sound like a very good time to go to a pistol.  Now if someone could have sneaked and peeked around the corner and capped him then so much the good.

It sounds like this was a very short time frame incident.  With units on scene in minutes there would have been an active shooter entry most likely and there wasn't any report of shots being exchanged.

Time like these make me hope there really is an afterlife.  At least he would get his in the end.

Joe
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#16]
It's part of the press's evilifacation of the term "semi-automatic".

Here in Illinois, when we watch the TV news, robbers do not use pistols, they use "semi-automatic handguns".  
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone know if this mall is posted "No weapons" ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top