Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/25/2006 6:09:26 AM EDT
I got an offer in the mail yesterday. If I send in 59.99 they are going to send me like 200.00 worth of food. Steak filets, sirloins, burgers, hotdogs, pork chops and 10 servings of augratin potatos. I've been wanting to try their stuff and this seems like the deal of the year. Is it worth it, I mean is their food any good?

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:12:47 AM EDT
YUMMY!!!

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:17:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 6:17:45 AM EDT by iamblades]
Decent but generally overpriced.

Sounds like that may be a deal worth taking advantage of, but generally speaking, if you need meat, go to a real butcher's shop. Much better deal and better product.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:22:11 AM EDT
Father-in-Law got a much better deal, as X-Mas gifts for his clients, he sent me and my wife a couple packages of their hamburgers and their steaks.

They have both been excellent! Easily as good as anything we get locally for ourselves.

Since they were free, I'm not sure I can evaluate for you.

$60 seems pretty decent -- even if you only got 6 or 7 steaks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:26:31 AM EDT
I was given some for Christmas. Very overrated. I gave the hamburgers away and use the steaks as hamburgers. Better steaks in meat market of local supermarket. The Sole was very fishy tasting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:27:59 AM EDT
Super stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:28:18 AM EDT
I went to their website once out of curiosity. Absurdly high prices.

How much of what do you get for your $60?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:28:20 AM EDT
I have a co-worker who raves about them and orders from them all the time.

But since he's never shared I really can't say.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:30:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By iamblades:
Decent but generally overpriced.

Sounds like that may be a deal worth taking advantage of, but generally speaking, if you need meat, go to a real butcher's shop. Much better deal and better product.

+1

Quality fresh cuts from your local butcher is the way to go.

Read the fine print on the offer ..... usually you end up paying approx $15+ per pound on their steaks ( double what your butcher will charge you for better cuts of meat )
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:30:33 AM EDT
Here's a story about Omaha Steaks

I'm not sure if this is widely known outside of Florida. Florida deided that the windshields of vehicles is a crucial part of the vehicle. Since roads are paid for by taxpayers and those funds are then used by the state to build and maintain roads the state determined that vehicle windshields were the state's responsibility to replace if any damage should occur to said windshield while driving on state roads.

Whne this first came to pass many auto body/autoglass repair shops were using all sorts of advertising gimmicks to get people to bring their broken windshield to these shops. If I get a crack in my windshield while driving, I drive my jeep to any shop that does auto glass repair/replacement, point to the windshield and go sit in the lobby and read 'guns n ammo' for an houur. Or I call one of those mobile auto glass repair companies and they come to my house or place of business and replace the windshield in the parking lot. After the repairs are comleted I say thanks and drive away, don't pay a dime. Ever. Just sign something so the company can reimbursed by the state for their costs. I know in a roundabout way I am paying for it, and some of us use this service more than others.

ANYWAY, in Orlando, when this service first started there was an auto glass company that was advertising a free box of Omaha steaks if you brought your broken windshield to them.

Being college students (broke and hungry) my roomate and I immediately went down to the parking lot with a tire iron and a quarter. The plan was flip the quarter, heads mine, tails yours; and after the decision for which windshield was to be 'repaired' was determined the tire iron was to be thrown into the windshield.

Free steak
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:33:55 AM EDT
Here's exactly what the deal offers for 59.99

4 (5 oz.) Filet Mignons
4 (6 oz.) Top Sirloins
4 (4 oz.) Boneless Pork Chops
2 (4.5 oz.) Stuffed Sole with Scallops and Crab
8 (3 oz.) Gourmet Franks
4 (4 oz.) Gourmet Burgers
10 portions Potatoes au Gratin
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:38:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sandman67:

4 (5 oz.) Filet Mignons
4 (6 oz.) Top Sirloins
8 (3 oz.) Gourmet Franks

RIP-OFF

See my above post.

They are charging you $59 for about 2lbs of steak.

Hot dogs & hamburgers ???

Potatoes ???
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:40:51 AM EDT
Superior cuts of meat. The Swordfish is awesome.

Future MOM IN LAW is an Omaha Steaks Retiree - i.e., lifetime discount (something like 65% off, or some obscene figure like that). She always hooks us up around the holidays with their goods.

I recommend the London Broil, and the Mahi Mahi.

Oh, and get on their mailing list. They send out coupon mailers every so often for the mailing list only, which is a far greater discount then those to be given by the local Omaha Steaks storefronts...

Food for thought (so to speak).
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:42:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 7:21:12 PM EDT by palmer]
When your used to butcher shop meat, Omaha meats are pretty crappy. I don't like Omaha Steak or any of their meat.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:43:54 AM EDT
Overpriced, IMO, but the stuff certainly is good.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:45:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By StrkAliteN:

I calculate about 6.8 pounds of meat.

$8.82 per pound.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:47:46 AM EDT
They're worth every penny.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:48:33 AM EDT
I got the exact same package for Christmas, here is my review:

4 (5 oz.) Filet Mignons - Good, a little thinner cut than I prefer.
4 (6 oz.) Top Sirloins - Good.
4 (4 oz.) Boneless Pork Chops - OK, I get better ones from the local pork plant.
2 (4.5 oz.) Stuffed Sole with Scallops and Crab - Good, but that's only enough for 1 serving.
8 (3 oz.) Gourmet Franks - They're hot dogs, what do you expect.
4 (4 oz.) Gourmet Burgers - Don't care for these. Better stuff for $1.69/lb at supermarket
10 portions Potatoes au Gratin - Fair, I ate 'em, but wouldn't pay for 'em.

If you figure the potatoes are worth nuthin and I would
The hamburger is $1.69
The hotdogs are $1.50
The pork chops (here at least) are $1.99
Then you are paying about $54.00 for 2.5lbs of stake and 9 oz. of fish. That's pretty pricy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:48:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 6:50:48 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]

4 (5 oz.) Filet Mignons
4 (6 oz.) Top Sirloins
8 (3 oz.) Gourmet Franks

If I use local shop prices (approx):
--Filet $12/lb -- $15
--Top Sirloin $6/lb -- $9
--Pork Chops $4/lb -- $4
--8 premium brand franks -- about $3
--1 lb hamburger (assume 50/50 chuck/round for good burgers) -- about $2.50
--Considering they think a measly 6 oz is a portion of top sirloin, I'll assume 10 portions of potatoes are about 2 lbs. That's about $2 worth of stuff to make it yourself or maybe $6 to buy it pre-made.
--No idea on cost of the sole, but unless it costs $20.50 + whatever you'll pay for shipping, it's still too expensive. Not horrible if you're just wanting to try them out the steaks really are prime meat, though.

But I have no idea why they'd portion their steaks that small, especially the top sirloin. Top sirloin is a HUGE hunk of meat and should be cooked and eaten as such. Maybe split one with a friend if you're not that hungry.

I wouldn't buy anything from them, but if you're feeling adventurous and have a little money to burn, go for it. Let us know how they turn out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:49:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SWS:

Originally Posted By StrkAliteN:

I calculate about 6.8 pounds of meat.

$8.82 per pound.

mystery meat ( ie: hot dogs & hamburgers ) hardly factor into the mathmatics when deciding on the $$ per pound of STEAK equasion. IMHO
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:50:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 6:50:35 AM EDT by Cleatus]
big difference between 10 lbs of "meat" and 10 lbs of STEAK

dont forget the $10+ shipping charge too
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:50:14 AM EDT
FYI, the "hamburgers" are actually steak burgers. They are not the assmeat you get at your local Shaws.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:52:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheCynic:
FYI, the "hamburgers" are actually steak burgers. They are not the assmeat you get at your local Shaws.

Most premium steak cuts make lousy burgers. Ribeye might be good, but everything else would be too lean. Chuck or chuck and round mixed are your best burgers. Pick out a roast and have them grind it for you. Should be $4 a pound at most.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:56:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Most premium steak cuts make lousy burgers.

I would normally agree, but IIRC these are ground sirloin and they are really good.

I get Omaha stuff as gifts, so I have no opinion on the price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:56:48 AM EDT
A good local meat store is the way to go, in my opinon. I worked at a butcher shop for 2 years and they only sold prime steaks. Can't find a place like that around here, but a nice, quality, fresh cut piece of meat is hard to beat and a butcher shop is the best place to get it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:00:26 AM EDT
I got some as a gift. I have had better quality steaks from the local stores and, for the prices, I could have gotten twice that amount of filet mignon instead of hamburger.

I wouldn't buy the stuff. Vastly overpriced. I wouldn't mind so much if it was something really good -- but it wasn't.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:03:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheCynic:
I would normally agree, but IIRC these are ground sirloin and they are really good.

I get Omaha stuff as gifts, so I have no opinion on the price.

Ground sirloin is a good choice, but it tends to be too lean by itself. The burgers fall apart. They might cut some fat into it though. That'd make them good.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:04:41 AM EDT
They are pretty good.

You can't order from them unless you give them your phone number. After that, they like to use your phone number. A lot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:23:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Eight:
They are pretty good.

You can't order from them unless you give them your phone number. After that, they like to use your phone number. A lot.

I was just going to say the same thing ...

I sent a box of steaks to a buddy of mine last year as a thank you for referring a new client to me.

The phone calls would NOT stop.

I finally told the telemarketer that was calling about twice a week ... "Look, I ordered your product as a gift to a friend of mine ... I'm not adopting a way of life here, nor am I going to be buying hundreds of dollars of steaks per week on a regular basis. If you EVER want me to order again, you will stop calling ME immediately. I will call YOU when I want something. Clear?"

Calls stopped.

Mediocre steaks ... probably better than supermarket meat, not nearly as good as a certified butcher.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:28:19 AM EDT
Not worth the $$$$
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:30:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ShortMikeB:
Here's a story about Omaha Steaks

I'm not sure if this is widely known outside of Florida. Florida deided that the windshields of vehicles is a crucial part of the vehicle. Since roads are paid for by taxpayers and those funds are then used by the state to build and maintain roads the state determined that vehicle windshields were the state's responsibility to replace if any damage should occur to said windshield while driving on state roads.

Whne this first came to pass many auto body/autoglass repair shops were using all sorts of advertising gimmicks to get people to bring their broken windshield to these shops. If I get a crack in my windshield while driving, I drive my jeep to any shop that does auto glass repair/replacement, point to the windshield and go sit in the lobby and read 'guns n ammo' for an houur. Or I call one of those mobile auto glass repair companies and they come to my house or place of business and replace the windshield in the parking lot. After the repairs are comleted I say thanks and drive away, don't pay a dime. Ever. Just sign something so the company can reimbursed by the state for their costs. I know in a roundabout way I am paying for it, and some of us use this service more than others.

ANYWAY, in Orlando, when this service first started there was an auto glass company that was advertising a free box of Omaha steaks if you brought your broken windshield to them.

Being college students (broke and hungry) my roomate and I immediately went down to the parking lot with a tire iron and a quarter. The plan was flip the quarter, heads mine, tails yours; and after the decision for which windshield was to be 'repaired' was determined the tire iron was to be thrown into the windshield.

Free steak

Now...that is awesome.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:34:20 AM EDT
I got a honey glazed ham from them once. It was so freaking good it would've caused Jews & Muslims to reconsider their dietary laws...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:41:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:53:59 AM EDT
I get a few each year from one of our suppliers. Usually a package of four New York strip sirloins.

They're good but not worth the inflated price if you ax me. A butcher is a better option to be sure. I work near Reading Terminal Market in Philly so I can get fresh butcher-cut meat at almost any time.

PS if my supplier is reading this, I didn't say stop sending them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:06:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 8:06:19 AM EDT by RABIDFOX50]
They tend to be good cuts of meat but on the pricey side. If you have a good butcher in your area, stick with him. If not, Omaha is a good second if you are willing to pay a bit more.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:15:09 AM EDT
Local Meat Cutter is the way to go.

Or if you are like me and knows someone who raise Black Angus Cattle, buy from them.

My fiance's Grandparents have a farm and raise about 200 head of Black Angus Cattle that are fed a mixture of corn, oats and wheat. Best beef ever. We get a whole beef for free each year and most of my friends buy a 1/4 or a 1/2.

In my experience Omaha Steaks are overpriced and the quality is fair to poor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:20:07 AM EDT
Everything I have ever had from them has been very good. As a gift it rocks, but Im too poor to order it myself
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:22:30 AM EDT
Bacon wrapped filets are without parallel. Rest is pretty good as well. True, if you have a good local butcher you can get stuff that's just as good, but for those who don't have such a shop, Omaha steaks are a great way to go. Loved them in college and law school when I was in small towns in Minnesota and Virginia, respectively.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:36:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 8:38:35 AM EDT by pcsutton]
The thing about Omaha Steaks is that it is grain fed beef that has been aged. Eastern beef is grain fed, western beef is grass fed. You can tell the difference in the color of the tallow...and the flavor!

Aging meat gives the bacteria time to break down the fibers which, in effect, tenderizes the meat. I let my venison hang for 2 weeks and you can cut the steaks with a spoon!

If you can find a butcher shop that sells grain fed beef who will age it for you, a minimum of 7 days, you will not only beat Omaha Steak's prices....you can get steaks bigger than 6 ounces. I don't know about you guys, but I like my steaks 2 inches thick and big as a dinner plate!

If you can't find aging, marinate your steaks in cheap pink champagne overnight.....it's amazing how tender they become.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:09:29 AM EDT
Anyone that thinks Omaha Steaks are a little overpriced should check their web site. With one of the package deals, you can add an extra four 4oz pork chops for $10 plus shipping ON SALE. Regular price listed is $27. Twenty-seven dollars for a pound of pork chops?

Regular price for two pounds of burgers is $28. But wait, these are "gourmet" burgers.

But you want a real deal, 2.6 pounds of their "Private Reserve Filet Mignon" is on SALE for a mere $110 plus shipping. Regular price is $156 but why not buy a few packs at the $110 and save on shipping. When you toss in shipping, the "sale price" of the filets is a mere $46 a pound. What a steal.

I don't care how good of a cut of meat they use, those are insane prices. I suppose if you have money to burn go for it. For my two cents, there isn't a cut of meat on the face of the earth worth those prices.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:15:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pcsutton:
The thing about Omaha Steaks is that it is grain fed beef that has been aged. Eastern beef is grain fed, western beef is grass fed. You can tell the difference in the color of the tallow...and the flavor!

Aging meat gives the bacteria time to break down the fibers which, in effect, tenderizes the meat. I let my venison hang for 2 weeks and you can cut the steaks with a spoon!

If you can find a butcher shop that sells grain fed beef who will age it for you, a minimum of 7 days, you will not only beat Omaha Steak's prices....you can get steaks bigger than 6 ounces. I don't know about you guys, but I like my steaks 2 inches thick and big as a dinner plate!

If you can't find aging, marinate your steaks in cheap pink champagne overnight.....it's amazing how tender they become.

The stuff I got was tougher than what I am used to from the local store and the taste wasn't anything special. If I want special beef, I can go for Harris Ranch beef, which is available at the local store, is better quality in every way that I can determine, and costs a small fraction of the Omaha Steaks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:17:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tvc184:
Anyone that thinks Omaha Steaks are a little overpriced should check their web site. With one of the package deals, you can add an extra four 4oz pork chops for $10 plus shipping ON SALE. Regular price listed is $27. Twenty-seven dollars for a pound of pork chops?

Regular price for two pounds of burgers is $28. But wait, these are "gourmet" burgers.

But you want a real deal, 2.6 pounds of their "Private Reserve Filet Mignon" is on SALE for a mere $110 plus shipping. Regular price is $156 but why not buy a few packs at the $110 and save on shipping. When you toss in shipping, the "sale price" of the filets is a mere $46 a pound. What a steal.

I don't care how good of a cut of meat they use, those are insane prices. I suppose if you have money to burn go for it. For my two cents, there isn't a cut of meat on the face of the earth worth those prices.

That is the truth.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:18:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tvc184:

If someone wants to pay those kinds of prices, they should get some Kobe beef. That stuff is actually worth the kind of prices that Omaha charges. Think of the best filet mignon you ever had, only more tender and flavorful. The stuff melts on your tongue.

Anyone who has had Kobe beef will be ruined for Omaha Steaks forever more. Has anyone here had it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:04:11 AM EDT
I buy my steaks from Winn Dixie "The Beef People". Parts is parts
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:24:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pcsutton:

If you can't find aging, marinate your steaks in cheap pink champagne overnight.....it's amazing how tender they become.hr

Actually, the tenderizing is done by the enzymes naturally occuring in the meat. They are the same ones that cause fish meat to go soft. In properly handled, non-diseased meat, only the surface is contaminated with bacteria. This is why you can eat your steak rare and not get sick, but is risky with ground beef. If you can get beef aged 7 days that's great, but most of the tenderizing is done after about 2 days.

The grain fed vs grass fed thing is very consumer dependant. They do have very different flavor and fat color. I personally find grain fed to be too mild tasting as compared to grass fed. If you want some really good meat try some dry aged. Man, oh man.

As far as my experience with Omaha Steaks, it's nothing to write home about. Working in the industry, I have had beef from all over and all sizes of plants. I agree aout going with a local butcher. If you have a local unversity with a Meat Science department call them. You can often get the meat from animals used to teach students grading, slaughter, etc pretty cheap and it is ususally good stuff.

Yes I am a meathead.
Top Top