Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/23/2004 12:28:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 12:34:14 AM EST by DrunkDucky]
Not sure if this is a dupe, but...

I just saw on the TV coverage of the olympics that an American shooter, who was guaranteed a medal if he "just hit the target" on his last shot, and he shot the wrong f*cking target!!!!!

Article at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5785670/
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:30:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 12:30:54 AM EST by USPC40]

Originally Posted By DrunkDucky:
Not sure if this is a dupe, but...

I just saw on the TV coverage of the olympics that an American shooter, who was guaranteed a medal if he "just hit the target" on his last shot, and he shot the wrong f*cking target!!!!!

Anyone hear anymore about this?

Yeah, that's what I heard. Actually, he did get a metal...the silver. Also heard something about his rifle being vandalized and he had to borrow another one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:35:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 12:38:44 AM EST by DrunkDucky]
Didn't get silver...ended 8th.

Another American took silver though on account of his crossfire.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:35:16 AM EST
American Emmons misses out on gold by firing at wrong target

DAVID MORDKOFF, AP Sports Writer
Sunday, August 22, 2004

(08-22) 12:52 PDT ATHENS, Greece (AP) --

Matt Emmons was focusing on staying calm. He should have been focusing on the right target.

Emmons fired at the wrong one with his final shot Sunday, a shocking mistake that cost the American a commanding lead in the Olympic 50-meter three-position rifle final and ruined his chance for a second gold medal.

Leading by three points and needing only to get near the bull's-eye to win, Emmons fired at the target in lane three while shooting in lane two. When no score appeared, he gestured to officials that he thought there was some sort of error with his target.

"When I shot the shot, everything felt fine," Emmons said. "On those targets, sometimes every once in a great while, it won't register. The shot just doesn't show up, so that's what I thought happened."

He was wrong. Officials huddled before announcing that Emmons had cross-fired -- an extremely rare mistake in elite competition -- and awarded him a score of zero. That dropped Emmons to eighth place at 1,257.4 points and lifted Jia Zhanbo of China to the gold at 1,264.5.

"I had no clue what happened," Jia said through an interpreter. "I looked at the scoreboard and there was no score for Mr. Emmons."

Emmons, from Browns Mills, N.J., explained that he usually sets his sight on the number of the target as a reference point and then lowers his gun to hone in on the bull's-eye, which was about 55 yards away in this event. The lanes are side by side, with the targets separated by several feet.

"On that shot, I was just worrying about calming myself down and just breaking a good shot, and so I didn't even look at the number," he said. "I probably should have. I will from now on."

The mistake lifted Michael Anti of Winterville, N.C., to the silver at 1,263.1 points and boosted Christian Planer of Austria to the bronze at 1,262.8. It was Planer's target that Emmons hit with his errant shot.

A perfect score -- dead center in a bull's-eye that is smaller than a dime -- is worth 10.9 in the final round, but all Emmons needed was an 8.0 for gold. His shot on the wrong target was an 8.1, but it didn't count, of course.

Emmons wasn't the only American who blew his chance at winning the gold medal.

Anti had two points deducted from his score in the qualifying round because he fired too many shots from the kneeling position. If those two points were added to his total, he would have won the gold, finishing 0.6 points ahead of Jia.

In three-position rifle, competitors fire 40 shots from prone, kneeling and standing positions. The top eight advance to the final, where they fire 10 shots while standing.

"We both made bonehead mistakes today," Anti said. "We both kind of gave the gold medal away."

Emmons' errant shot also overshadowed what had been a successful Olympics for a shooter who won four individual and four team NCAA titles at Alaska-Fairbanks.

After discovering earlier this year that someone had sabotaged his rifle, Emmons used a gun he borrowed from a training partner to win the gold medal Friday in the 50-meter prone rifle competition.

Despite his mistake on the final shot, Emmons took solace in his strong shooting.

"I was the best guy on the line today," he said. "I shot a cross-fire, so I don't deserve the gold medal, but at the same time, I know what I did. I know how hard I worked and what the performance was."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/08/22/sports1104EDT0152.DTL
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:42:29 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:35:43 AM EST
What a fucking retard. You're at THE OLYMPICS, DUDE. GET YOUR SHIT WIRED.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:06:59 AM EST
whoops!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:09:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 2:10:43 AM EST by A-nus]

I don't recall seeing MMcCall in any Olympic events?

real easy to criticize from behind a COMPUTER SCREEN!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:19:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By A-nus:

No shit. "Fucking retard" is a bit harsh. What is the most stressful thing you do? Trying to rub one off with out getting caught?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:22:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By MMcCall:

Spoken like a true numb-nut who never made the same mistake at any shooting competition.

FWIW this ain't hard to do on HUGE NRA Highpower targets when firing from the 600 yard line, suspect it's even easier on the course of fire he was shooting.

I'd cut the young fella abit of slack, suspect he feels bad enough without dipsticks like you dumping on him.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:24:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By FiveO:

No shit. "Fucking retard" is a bit harsh. What is the most stressful thing you do? Trying to rub one off with out getting caught?

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:33:39 AM EST
everyone has an off day now and then.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:34:41 AM EST
It happens. I've had others shoot my target in Highpower Matches. Last time it happned, I was shooting a .30 and the other guy was shooting a .223, so it was easy to get his poor shot not counted.
Like they said, you can't see the number and the bull at the same time!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:42:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 2:44:16 AM EST by fight4yourrights]

Originally Posted By KA3B:

Emmons, from Browns Mills, N.J., explained that he usually sets his sight on the number of the target as a reference point and then lowers his gun to hone in on the bull's-eye, which was about 55 yards away in this event. The lanes are side by side, with the targets separated by several feet.

55 yards! WTF??? How do you crossfire at 55 yards?#$?#$

Sure, it's easy do to at 600 yards, fairly hard to do at 200 yards, but nearly impossible at 55 yards
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:59:26 AM EST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure, it's easy do to at 600 yards, fairly hard to do at 200 yards, but nearly impossible at 55 yards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you actually compete? Or are you just another wanna be who thinks they know what they are doing?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:29:46 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:39:36 AM EST
About five years ago, I shot an International Standard pistol sectional with two time Olympian Darius "Doc" Young. Doc cross-fired onto the next target during timed fire, he used an eyepiece to narrow his focus and it blocks nearly everything except the target. He would line up and wait for the commands, he happened to line up on the wrong target and could not see the number. It happens.

I guess it would sound silly if you had never fired an aimed shot in competition.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:39:52 AM EST
Its always the low post guys that make these idiot remarks. He probably never left his couch to do any kind of shooting.

I give money to the USA shooting team every year and I will again this year.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:35:11 AM EST
crap happens
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:42:57 AM EST
All deprecating remarks aside, I bet he doesn't make that mistake again. That athelete doesn't owe anyone here a gold medal, so STFU!

Imagine, being that far ahead of the competition. That guy is in incredible shot!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:51:34 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:44:37 AM EST
Poor guy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:02:13 AM EST
Oooofaaaaa....
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:03:55 AM EST
He shot better than anyone on this board.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:10:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

I've shot on the Wolf Creek ranges they used in 1996 and, not excusing it, the difference between your target and your neigbors is very minute.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:11:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By bostonirish67:
He shot better than anyone on this board.

and there's that
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:17:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By darknight:

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:

I've shot on the Wolf Creek ranges they used in 1996 and, not excusing it, the difference between your target and your neigbors is very minute.

Oh, like first hand knowledge is worth anything?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:47:49 PM EST
Am I the only one who actually watched it last night? (12 am on Bravo)

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:57:53 PM EST
The mind is a crazy thing. Many people sabotage themselves, choke at the crucial moment.

Rosie whatshername (forget her last name) is a world class snowboarder from Girdwood, AK. She kicks ass in world championship, but invariably chokes at the Olympics, not even making it out of the gate.

It's all mental, a psych-out. This guy did the same thing, unfoprtunately. But he won a gold medal a few days before this fuck-up. He's got nothing to prove to anyone.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:32:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:35:08 PM EST
I think the guy already won one gold before this unfortunate episode.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:03:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By MMcCall:

Hey - fuck you and all you others out there who are down on the guy. Odds are verw of you have had the sort of high pressure competition the guy was in. I have heard of people geting off target - so concentrated on the 101 things you must think about when shooting that accurately that they do shoot at the wrong target.

He obviously kicked some ass to get to that point - its a shame one error cost him a medal.

But dont you all dare call him names and shit. Its easy to sit behind your fucking computer and blast shit with your AR on the weekends. Its another to be committed and skilled enough to be where he was. He knows he made a mistake -and that happens to everyone.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:04:53 PM EST
+1
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:39:39 PM EST
I believe he trains out at Calverton, LI. Home of "WTF, that's my target asshole!!".

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:41:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/23/2004 2:42:08 PM EST by Alaskagrown]
55 yards doesn't sound like a lot but when you are looking at the target and it is as small as it is it isn't that hard to do. I was shooting a prone match PRONE and the guy next to me shot my target 5 times. He is already giving himself more shit than he should because he admitted that he didn't check and double check his target like he usually does. He is still by far the best smallbore shooter in the world right now and everyone in that final knows that he is and that the only reason they are where they are right now is because he didn't check. I have seen some of the best college shooters in the country crossfire at 50 ft. Back a few years ago the number one shooter in the country cost his team the championship because he shot the ceiling. Mike Anti the silver medalist got silver because he shot the same target twice and 2 points were deducted. Everyone criticizing him on here I dare to shoot against him and see how you do, I have and I lost, hell I will even loan you the equipment.

"I was the best guy on the line today," he said. "I shot a cross-fire, soI don't deserve the gold medal, but at the same time, I know what I did. I know how hard I worked and what the performance was."

Thats enough said about that you don't see Mr Hamm saying that about the gymnastics mistake that gave him the gold. In that sentence he said more about his character than any of his detractors have said about theirs.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:15:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

Originally Posted By FiveO:

Naa that got too easy. I go for distance and technical difficulty now.

I vote we give the kid a nice pimp slap and call it even.
Top Top