[#1]

Quoted:
With that groove just before the crown?

I am aware of ONLY muzzle breakes...

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I posted the question would they be making them on their forum and they did not answer it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I posted the question would they be making them on their forum and they did not answer it.

Those bastards
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:01:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
With that groove just before the crown?

I am aware of ONLY muzzle breakes...

mark
[email protected]

Christ, it's muzzle brakes and flash suppressors, people.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:31:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Tagged - I have the same question.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:55:43 AM EDT
[#6]
After the passage of the '94 AWB, some manufacturers simply made plain, crowned barrels.  Just lobbed them off square on the end.  Other manufacturers pressed on brakes, pinned on, or welded on brakes.  These devices could not be easily removed or changed by the consumer.

Olympic wanted you, the customer, to be able to attach something to the end, a brake, comp, etc, via set screws, but wanted the device not to blow off the end.  The groove is a place for set screws to lock into and firmly hold such a device.  Also, they hoped that if the ban was lifted in the future, a setscrew flash hider could be attached.  I would not be surprised to see setscrew type flash hiders available soon.

So, don't get on Oly's butt about this... you can blame the Clinton gun ban.  Oly did their best to come up with a suitable solution to the problem of no barrel threads as forced on us by the Clinton gun ban.

So, that's whats up with the goofy groove.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:18:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't found my calipers yet but what is the OD of an Oly barrel?

If that groove is less than 0.500 in, why couldn't you just buff off the coating and tack a few welds to fill it in and then lathe it as planned?

Seems easy enough if you have the equipment unless I am missing something.  If I am, please let me know, I have this exact groove on my Oly Arms barrel.

Keving67
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:23:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If that groove is less than 0.500 in, why couldn't you just buff off the coating and tack a few welds to fill it in and then lathe it as planned?

Keving67

Or...Cut the barrel down to 14.5 and have a flash hider welded on...Or thread right up to the opening and then solder up the flash hider to reinforce the shortened thread...I have an email in to Oly so we'll see what they say about this.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keving67

Or...Cut the barrel down to 14.5 and have a flash hider welded on...Or thread right up to the opening and then solder up the flash hider to reinforce the shortened thread...I have an email in to Oly so we'll see what they say about this.

Please keep us informed.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm thinking of making a custom flash suppressor. Just preliminary thoughts so far, I haven't even miked the groove yet.

OK, So I just got the AR out of the safe and measured the groove with my dial caliper.

The diameter in the groove is .650 inch. The distance from the muzzle to the rear face(IOW, furthest from the muzzle) of the groove is .500 inch.

I have no idea what the length of the threads on a standard FS are.  Anybody care to supply that dimension?

If a standard FS won't fit I know I can make one on the lathe and mill that will work just fine.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Oly will thread your barrel for around $45. I checked the local shop, they want $40. I have yet to see a slip on flash suppressor from anybody. In any event, there was no demand for one until today and it  would have been illegal for Oly to make before today.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Oly apparently planned for this in the placement of the groove... if you lathe the end, and thread, the groove will be completely cut away.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Simply take it to your local dealer have him thread it 14.5 and put on a flash supressor.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#14]
What's the problem? The grooved barrel will thread just like any other. ADCO just did mine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the standard dims on the threads for the flash suppressor is 1/2 in by 28threads. I could be wrong with this but I think that is right.

Just an idea for all of you. Brownells sell a die for threading the bbl for the flash suppressor and its only $20. I think the die stock handle is about $10. Thats not a bad deal.

I plan on doing it for my customers for about $40 and that will include the Flash Suppressor and washer.

Good luck with that Oly bbl. I think you guys are pretty much screwed. It would be much easier to just get a  new bbl if a flash sup is that important to you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Good luck with that Oly bbl. I think you guys are pretty much screwed. It would be much easier to just get a  new bbl if a flash sup is that important to you.

Uh, no.

I repeat, the Oly barrel thread just like any other. ADCO just did my Oly barrel with the groove.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#17]
If the bottom of the groove is larger than the outer dia of the threads, which it is, and the rearmost edge of the groove is only 1/2" from the muzzle, and the threads are just about that long on a normal barrel, then I repeat, the groove is complete machined away on the lathe when you turn down the end of the barrel prior to threading.

You do know you have to turn down the end of the barrel first?  You can't just use a thread die.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top