Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2001 9:17:29 AM EDT
Has anyone seen the new Oly Plinker?  Or there step up?  I did and I was shocked.  I have a Oly 95 vintage and I love it, but these new ones suck.  Potting in the casting, cheap looking finish. They may shoot just fine but man, I am not impresses.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#1]
My experiance with Oly has been so so at best.

I have an Preban OLY MFR which has been a fine rifle. It did have a broken forward assist after 600 rounds and a broken gas ring after 1200 rounds though. Since then there have been no further parts breakage. The main problem with the rifle is the upper & lower are "fitted" togather and the lower will not accept other withen spec uppers.

I had an OLY CAR97 riufle kit that had many substandard and even unusable parts including the Trigger, hammer, Disconnector & Bolt cam pin. Oly replaced the parts with servicable parts.  The upper that came with this kit was slightly out of specand required a drift punch and hammer to remove the rear takedown pin reguardless of what lower i used it with.

I have two Oly PCR98 lowers. Lower number one is a flawless lower worth more than the $79.00 i paid for it. Lower number two was milled at the end of a production run after the cutting tools had dulled and worn. Therefore the hammer cuttout wasnt deep enough to allow full range of motion of the installed hammer. Initially Tom at Oly told me that the dealers were aware of this problem and the lower was sold "as is". I explained that the dealer never passed this info on to me, i returned the lower to Oly and they remilled it and refinished it.

In summery I think Oly uses substandard parts that may require hand fitting to work properly. But if you cant get a part to work for you they will replace it or repair it without to much hassle.

PS...
I now buy all my parts from QPI/Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I have experienced the same types of problems with my upper to lower fit.  I also have a Bushmaster and I am very content with every aspect of it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You gets what you pays for.. the plinker is definitely on the low end of the scale in the finish department. On the other hand I've built several guns from OlyArms lowers and had no problems. Just built two new guns (M4gery and 20" hbar both with A2 lookalike comps) for very little more than the cost of a plinker.. maybe $680 for the M4gery (sans rear sights), and $600 even for the 20" Hbar.

Eagle/Armalite lower on the M4gery, ASA upper, post-ban CAR stock off another Eagle Arms gun, DPMS lower parts kit. Olyarms on the A2, DPMS lower parts and A2 stock, Bushmaster upper.

There is no substitute for building it yourself, and no reason to be a parts nazi.. if it works well, use it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top