Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 9:21:24 AM EDT
You seem to like to do interesting things.

Sight in a couple handguns point of impact at, say 25 yards.

Then try shooting them with the same point of hold, but shoot them sideways, gangsta style.

Let me know what happens.

Just a thought.

Some time ago at a range, I say a couple of "Trained by Hollywood" gangsta types practicing sideways shooting and I'm curious.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Try it yourself sometime! It sucks.

I say, let 'em shoot sideways- they can posture all they want, but they're not going to hit much...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I say, let 'em shoot sideways- they can posture all they want, but they're not going to hit much...

I did, Same results as you.

(but I KNOW Old_Painless will truly do a meticulous first class job of it.)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can see the sights, you can use them to hit your target. I had this demonstrated quite vividly this weekend when James Yeager, owner and Instructor of Tactical Response, showed that he could hit a target with a pistol no matter how it was oriented. This included 90 degree sideways cants, fully upside down, and even with him bending over and shooting between his legs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
, and even with him bending over and shooting between his legs.

Bet that hurt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, now that you mention it, that sounds pretty interesting.

I know that "canting" a rifle will move groups at long ranges.

But never tried it with a pistol at 25 yards.

I'll see what we get and report back.

Edited to ask:  Should I also turn my hat sideways?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No, no hat, you gotta have the dew rag bandana. Make sure you got a lot of bling
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Where's that "Homeboy Nite Sites" pic?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A couple of years ago my daughter asked if she could "experiment with shooting a pistol." Now I'm a bit leery about letting a 12 - 13 yr old do any kind of experiment with a pistol, but when we go to the range (public) we were the only ones there so I agreed. She tried the gansta' method. And hit what she was aiming(?) at! About 30' away.

A few days later I tried it. Same results! I didn't have any problems hitting things at a resonable distance. But maybe I was still trying to sight down the top/side of the barrel, I don't know. This was with my Ruger MKll Govt. Target model and not something as bling as a 9.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A couple of years ago my daughter asked if she could "experiment with shooting a pistol." Now I'm a bit leery about letting a 12 - 13 yr old do any kind of experiment with a pistol, but when we go to the range (public) we were the only ones there so I agreed. She tried the gansta' method. And hit what she was aiming(?) at! About 30' away.

A few days later I tried it. Same results! I didn't have any problems hitting things at a resonable distance. But maybe I was still trying to sight down the top/side of the barrel, I don't know. This was with my Ruger MKll Govt. Target model and not something as bling as a 9.

You hit your target becaue the sights work! As long as the distance is short enough that bullet drop does not become a significant factor, the sights do not care care how you orient the gun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

O_P,

Are you heading to higher ground, or are you safe where you are?

HH
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I want to see car windshield tests.

9mm

but to really test it has to be a fresh windshield every time, and be backed but the frame of the car.  So he needs 6 cars to test.   I don't think he will get that donation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#12]
In order to ensure a representative experiment, you need to get a gold toof, bandana AND sideways hat, hyper-baggy jeans that hang WAY too low, and a bunch of gold chains and rings.

Gotta keep all the variables real, you know?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
In order to ensure a representative experiment, you need to get a gold toof, bandana AND sideways hat, hyper-baggy jeans that hang WAY too low, and a bunch of gold chains and rings.

I'll answer for OP here:

You going to supply those?  The brown truck of happiness passes by every day.

How'd I do?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

You hit your target becaue the sights work! As long as the distance is short enough that bullet drop does not become a significant factor, the sights do not care care how you orient the gun.

I tried not using the sights. But I can't be sure now that I wasn't "subconsciously" using them. Too used to using them.

I know I did try using them while holding the gun sideways and was hitting.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

9mm

but to really test it has to be a fresh windshield every time, and be backed but the frame of the car.  So he needs 6 cars to test.   I don't think he will get that donation.

I've got a '68 Jeep Wagoneer I gotta get out of here. OP can have it. But I ain't gonna pay to get it to Texas, and I'm sure he isn't.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#16]
IBTNS
(In Before The Nyte Sytes)

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

O_P,

Are you heading to higher ground, or are you safe where you are?

HH

So far, they are advising evacuating Sabine Pass, but no other cities in Jefferson County.  It looks like it will be landing west of us.  If so, I'll just ride it out here.

But thanks for the concern.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

(snip)

As it happens, we are working on setting up a windshield test, as soon as the weather cools down a little.

We have already talked to a local windshield repair shop and they will "loan" us some windshields that are in good enough shape to shoot.

Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Are you sure you want to see me in low-rider jeans?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll answer for OP here:

How'd I do?

How'd you like a job as Secretary O' Truth?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#22]

No, but put your "tighty-whiteys" (or boxers) on sideways, and let your jeans fall down to your knees for added realism.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

When I went down to Blackwater earlier this summer, one odf the instructors showed us how, when shooting with one hand, how to slighly can't the firearm inward. This is actually a more natural twist to your forearm bones. Now, not TOTALLY over to 90 degrees "gangsta style" but go halfway. You STILL have to use your sights, but the actual postition of the gun doesn't matter.

Hell, the BW instructor shot his Glock UPSIDE DOWN and hit 90% of the steel poppers!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#24]
What a great idea. Hey O.P., when you write up your report, be sure to refer to your mags as clips. And always refer to your pistol as a gat, glock or 9mm, regardless of the make or model.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(snip)

As it happens, we are working on setting up a windshield test, as soon as the weather cools down a little.

We have already talked to a local windshield repair shop and they will "loan" us some windshields that are in good enough shape to shoot.

Stay tuned.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll answer for OP here:

How'd I do?

I'm afraid I don't own any of the described items.

I have some class.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What a great idea. Hey O.P., when you write up your report, be sure to refer to your mags as clips. And always refer to your pistol as a gat, glock or 9mm, regardless of the make or model.

I believe you meant "Nine".

Maybe I should consider using a .40 S&W, as I am the only one in the room edumacated enough to handle a faw-tah.

Yeah.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm afraid to answer....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'm afraid I don't own any of the described items.

I have some class.

Yeah.  Right.

I bet you have tassels hanging from your overhead upholstery and that the front end of your car can jump up and down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top