Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/12/2007 2:05:55 PM EDT
I got this from my dad when I was a wee lad. Don't remember anything about it and he passed when I was 11....Had it in my coin collection since then...never gave it much thought but defiantly the most unique thing I have in the collection... I am not a coin buff, just always put back coins...IE Silver, mercury dimes, copper pennies, buffalo head nickels, silver certificates, oddball stuff, etc.

I don't know the value of anything I have; but this I just hope to find more out about this one.....

My pops was a WW2 Vet, Theres a chance maybe he picked it up during his tour? Who knows? Maybe one of me chums can help me Identify it. Thanks Gents!

Its about the size of a penny maybe a tad larger....

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h131/lyptix/DSCN6485.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h131/lyptix/DSCN6483.jpg
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:38:36 PM EDT
If you can get me a clearer pic without glare I can identify it for you. Or you can put a piece of paper over it and rub it with a pencil that would work too. There is a little to much glare for me you make it out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:40:10 PM EDT
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h131/lyptix/DSCN6491.jpg

maybe this one is a little better....
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:42:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2007 4:42:44 PM EDT by SirSqueeboo]
Is there any writing/inscription on it that doesn't show in the photo?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:43:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2007 4:44:07 PM EDT by Ninian]
Thats pretty damn old id say. As in more then a few hundred years.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:45:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2007 4:53:21 PM EDT by BIKECOP29]
Roman maybe?

ETA: Or Celtic?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:47:39 PM EDT
Yeah.. It is not a European WW2 era coin.. Thats for sure.. Appears to be iron.. I wish i could read the inscription.. I can make some of it out.. Appears to be latin.. so i would guess without knowing roman.. However they are BIG on putting busts of emporers and the like upon them.. I cannot make out what the center relief is on the coin but it does not appear to be a bust.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:49:57 PM EDT
It says your a prince. Now get back there before she marries sleeping beauty!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:50:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BIKECOP29:
Roman maybe?

That is what I was thinking, but most of those aren't perfectly round like this one, are they?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:50:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2007 5:18:30 PM EDT by Odingaard]
My personal specialty is Greek/Roman coins. I've had several similar to your coin mixed in with Roman coin lots I've purchased. The lettering is hard to make out, but its most likely a Byzantine bronze coin, probably minted between 400 and 800 AD. These are fairly common, but some are worth a considerable amount - depending on who was Pope at the time.

The greenish-black patina gives it away. It's been buried for a considerable time, as are many Roman coins. If you soak it in olive oil for a couple weeks and periodically brush it lightly with a stiff tooth brush, it may reveal more detail without damaging its collectability. Don't take anything metal to it, such as steel wool or a dental pick.

I hope that this gives you a general idea of where to begin your search in identifying it.

EDIT: I did a little more research for you. La gorgue or gorgue is an early French word which is typically not used in the modern dialect. I would guess that it was minted under Charlemagne in about the 8th Century AD.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:00:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2007 5:09:47 PM EDT by JB69]
Looks like it was glued to something ?

In the first pic, it appears to say "GOMOUR" but I can't find a translation for that anywhere. The rest of the markings there are too obscured by the flash/lighting to even see.

Can you do a paper & pencil rub of the surface, to try and identify the markings ?

It COULD be some Latin dialect, but I'm not even close to sure.

Is it the same on both sides, or is there an obvious difference in the markings ?

There's a Lake Gomour in Armenia. Researching that MIGHT bring some insight, but appears a long shot... Linky

Going off on a tangent, there sure are some beautiful pics there of Armenian nature/touristy areas. www.travel.am/album/nature-photos/

Shame the damn commies ruined so much.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:11:26 PM EDT
we tried to do the pencil rub thing, didn't yield much.....

the other sight has no markings at all...

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:43:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lyptix:
we tried to do the pencil rub thing, didn't yield much.....

the other sight has no markings at all...

That's too bad. I guess you'll have to go with Odingaard's theory, unless you can find someone certified to do numismatic appraisals.

Interesting coin, either way.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:54:41 AM EDT

this is what I found out...not a coin at all but a civil war era button..sometimes called a button coin...

http://forums.collectors.com/messag...threadid=602211

http://greybirdrelics.com/Buttons.htm
Top Top