Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/27/2010 12:29:05 PM EDT
What could possibly go wrong?

This measure amends the State Constitution. It changes a section that
deals with the courts of this state. It would amend Article 7, Section
1. It makes courts rely on federal and state law when deciding cases. It
forbids courts from considering or using international law. It forbids
courts from considering or using Sharia Law.

International law is also known as the law of nations. It deals with
the conduct of international organizations and independent nations, such
as countries, states and tribes. It deals with their relationship with
each other. It also deals with some of their relationships with persons.

The law of nations is formed by the general assent of civilized
nations. Sources of international law also include international
agreements, as well as treaties.

Sharia Law is Islamic law. It is based on two principal sources, the Koran and the teaching of Mohammed.

Shall the proposal be approved?

For the proposal

Yes:  __________

Against the proposal

No:  __________

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Oklahoma_%22Sharia_Law_Amendment%22,_State_Question_755_%282010%29#Text_of_measure
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.

Just ahead of their time. Ala Arizona.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what is wrong with that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
looks good to me
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Not so much as jumping the shark.  More like pre-emptive strike.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Insert "Oklahoma - Fuck Yeah" map here.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fine with this

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Works for me. Get some, Okies.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I have issues with amending Constitutions; better be a DAMN good reason for it.

I also like that amendment!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a Pacific Northwest guy but I'm seriously considering retirement in Oklahoma.  

It's a great state.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]
If you think this is jumping the shark, I think you need to get the fuck out of America and never come back!

I want this to be written into the US Constitution!  And in the Constitutions of EVERY state!

Islam is fundamentally incompatible with American values.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Sticky wicket and I don't know if they're playing it right.

On one hand, outlawing international, or other nations' laws on US soil is A-OK with me, but Sharia is also a religious law, and I am a NOT an advocate of governments telling religions what to do.

They need to strictly define what they are going for, and I don't see it in the quoted passage above...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#15]
How is this "jumping the shark"  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]
sharia has NO place in civilized society, period.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Unlike many other states, they have their heads on straght.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

On one hand, outlawing international, or other nations' laws on US soil is A-OK with me, but Sharia is also a religious law, and I am a NOT an advocate of governments telling religions what to do.

They need to strictly define what they are going for, and I don't see it in the quoted passage above...

its not the gov telling religions what to do.  its just seperation of church and state spelled out for the idiots
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome.

/but Sharia does have a place on this planet - the bottom of the Marianas Trench.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you think this is jumping the shark, I think you need to get the fuck out of America and never come back!

I want this to be written into the US Constitution!  And in the Constitutions of EVERY state!

Islam is fundamentally incompatible with American values.

Word. I now know my shtf destination.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
looks good to me

Same here.

Sad it's come to this.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
looks good to me

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I have no problem with this proposed amendment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#25]
It be nice to see what the actual change will be.  I'm concerned, because "It makes courts rely on federal and state law when deciding cases"  sounds like it would forbid the courts from using case law.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks the way it should look in every state.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#27]
"Jumping the shark"
"you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it does"

Sounds alot more like a preemptive strike, nipping it in the bud, precautionary measures, choose your favorite saying.

Go look at what is happening in places like France and get back to us.

I suppose owning a firearm for protection, home insurance, and fire extinguishers (just to name a few) are "jumping the shark"?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah because sharia law was ever going to be instituted in Oklahoma.  Don't we have better things to do with our time?  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds good to me.  The feds should be totally supportive of this since it reaffirms that "separation of church and state" thing that they're so fond of.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Hell yeah!  It's about time!

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

they arent banning religion, they are banning the use of sharia law is def a good idea seeing as how people have been trying to replace real law with it

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

sharia has NO place in civilized society, period.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah because sharia law was ever going to be instituted in Oklahoma.  Don't we have better things to do with our time?  

You're not living there, how does it affect you?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It be nice to see what the actual change will be.  I'm concerned, because "It makes courts rely on federal and state law when deciding cases"  sounds like it would forbid the courts from using case law.

What I quoted was the exact wording.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks good to me.

Well done Sooners!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

What about law on the reservations?

They're already expressing concerns.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not living there, how does it affect you?

Poorly written laws have unintended consequences and that turns into precedent.  If this thing passes and some tool uses it to go on a an anti-Christian crusade don't come crying to me.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/shadowangelx/oklahoma.jpg

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

they arent banning religion, they are banning the use of sharia law is def a good idea seeing as how people have been trying to replace real law with it

No –– I totally get that, and understand.

The problem is the second sentence pasted below:

Sharia Law is Islamic law. It is based on two principal sources, the Koran and the teaching of Mohammed.

That's all. Just sent the spidey sense tingling a little. I have NO problem, again, with them banning other legal systems in OK!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Awesome!

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#41]
And when Federal law incorporates Sharia in some form or fashion, what then?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Initially, I wasn't a fan of it, despite that I'm not a fan of Islam.

However, that was because my initial perception was that the law was banning the Islamic faith.

It doesn't do that at all.

As I understand the language provided in the OP's quote, it sounds like the Amendment is seeking to codify the requirement that courts in Oklahoma shall not consider any law which is not a law of Oklahoma, the jurisdictions therein, or a law of the United States.  It prohibits all other laws from being considered in trials, specifically naming international law and sharia law as examples of this.

Having actually read the language of the proposed amendment, I don't see a problem with it what-so-ever.  It's simply a reinforcement of the Constitution of the United States Article VI and Amendment X, as incorporated by Amendment XIV.

This will get challenged in federal court.  If logic prevails, so too will this amendment.

_MaH
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
And when Federal law incorporates Sharia in some form or fashion, what then?

I don't know why you're even worrying about that.  There's still no law on the books prohibiting a zombie uprising.  We have bigger fish to fry.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

On one hand, outlawing international, or other nations' laws on US soil is A-OK with me, but Sharia is also a religious law, and I am a NOT an advocate of governments telling religions what to do.They need to strictly define what they are going for, and I don't see it in the quoted passage above...

Ok, so Little shareef steals from the local supermarket and Imam Mohammed chops off is hand.  Do we prosecute Mohommed?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On one hand, outlawing international, or other nations' laws on US soil is A-OK with me, but Sharia is also a religious law, and I am a NOT an advocate of governments telling religions what to do.They need to strictly define what they are going for, and I don't see it in the quoted passage above...

Ok, so Little shareef steals from the local supermarket and Imam Mohammed chops off is hand.  Do we prosecute Mohommed?

This is why we're our own worst enemy.  You do realize it's already illegal to chop people's hands off regardless of what religion you are, right?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Because our laws trump all other laws.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What I quoted was the exact wording.

What you quoted is what the ballot will say.  What I'd like to see is the exact text that will be inserted into the constitution.  I doubt the phrase "It makes courts rely on federal and state law when deciding cases" will be in the constitution.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How is this "jumping the shark"  

OP is a lib?

TXL
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm a Pacific Northwest guy but I'm seriously considering retirement in Oklahoma.  

It's a great state.  

Being an Okie and a grad of OU; I would have to agree.  That being said, there were many corruption issues in the state in the past,  the tax's were a bit high (they did change the law to make federal retirement non-taxable similar to state retirement, but not sure if that is still the case) and it has probably the most toll roads of any state.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top