Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2009 10:12:37 AM EDT
I'm trying to hook up a Netgear wireless router.

Every time it keeps saying on my screen .... this needs to run a supported system?

This is what I'm doing.

I have an new HP lap top windows 7

I use att@t DSL

I'm unhooking the lap top from the modem entirely , running on battery only.

I hook up the ethernet from the modem to the back of the router and then plug in the power cable of the router to a plug?

Why do I keep getting this message when I pop in the CD that came with the router?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Not alot or any support yet for wireless and Win7.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not alot or any support yet for wireless and Win7.

So this router won't work with this lap top?

This is the one he picked out for me at the store when I bought the lap top.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Look for drivers you can download for your correct wireless at site. Probubly won't find.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn't think you could get a laptop w/out wireless built in anymore.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't bother with the CD.

Click on the icon in the bottom right of screen that looks like stair steps, you should see an unsecured wireless network that is your new router. Click that and click connect.

You should get an IP address and be on the internet in a few seconds.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Every time it keeps saying on my screen .... this needs to run a supported system?

This is what I'm doing.

I use att@t DSL

I hook up the ethernet from the modem to the back of the router and then plug in the power cable of the router to a plug?

is this a router or is it a wireless adapter of some sort????
if its a router then all you should have to do it plug it in and type in an ip address specific for it. like 192.168.1.1 or whatever the default is. then configure from that.
if its an adapter then you will have to hook the modem directly to your laptop and get drivers for it from the web.
can you post a model number of your equipment?  
you should have a cable running from your wall jack to your modem. and then from your modem to your router if that is how it is setup.  send me an im i will be more than glad to help you get up and going.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#7]
nothing is wrong with the wireless router or the laptop

when you use DSL its not plug and play
to logon to the serrvice your modem has to have a username and password before service will start working
so what your going to have to do is plug your modem into your router just like you have been

then log into the router and user the ROUTER as the actual modem
there should be a configuration screen, clicking through some tabs and options and should ask you for a username and password for the service

look at the instructions that came with the router for the default ip of the router and default username and password to log into the router
its usually admin admin, or admin and nothing for a password
and most of the time the ip address for the router is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1

but in short you basically need to put your account info into the router, at least thats how mine works
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why do I keep getting this message when I pop in the CD that came with the router?

You shouldn't really need the setup CD to use the router in the first place. You should be able to connect with standard TCP/IP and no extra software needed.

Go into the ethernet connection's properties, make sure it's set to DHCP/automatically obtain an address, and just hook up to the router. Then, you can configure the router by going to it's default address in your web browser, usualy 192.168.1.1 It'll probably give your laptop an address like: 192.168.1.101 It'll prompt you for a password to get in, which should be the default listed in the router's documentation.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is what I'm doing.

I use att@t DSL

It's not a problem with the router itself.  It it is telling you that the version of the drivers on the CD were made for an older version of Windows.  If you can't connect without installing whatever is on the CD, you'll have to see if they have the software for that router that is made specifically for Windows7.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#11]
That CD is worthless, take it to the range with you, it will be a good target

In reality you should probably just box it back up and take it back to the store.  While you are there, pickup a router that says Linksys

Never had good luck with NetGear crap, I rank them along with D-Link on the do not buy list.  YMMV
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the main issue exists between the chair and the keyboard. Replace that component and try it again.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a test computer at school and have not been able to log on and/or connect through the wireless. A friends BETA version works on his.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Google this and see the write-ups. Wireless and win7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top