Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2001 10:10:55 PM EDT
An ar style rifle (thinking LEGP here) that is not specifically mentioned on the 1989 banned list, and has its offensive pistol grip removed so as to comply with sb23 could be shipped to an FFL in here in the lovely PRK?  

Then, when our constitutionally minded AG decides to add the LEGP model to the banned list, I will be able to assemble (reattach the pistol grip) the rifle into its intended form as long as I comply with the registration requirements certain to be enacted at the time.

Why does everyone keep concentrating on "stripped lowers" instead of complete rifles that have had their sb23 non-compliant features removed?

Does the removal of the pistol grip have to be permanent?  Meaning the gun's lower altered in such a way to forever prevent the attachment of the pistol grip.

Sorry for the somewhat redudant post, but I'm pretty new to wading through the various laws pertaining to AR ownership here in CA because up until now it's been a total impossibility.

I missed my last chance to actually own one of these (I'm in my early 20's...back when they were still legal I had neither consent from the family nor the funds to obtain one), I don't intend to miss out again if I can help it.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
...Why does everyone keep concentrating on "stripped lowers" instead of complete rifles that have had their sb23 non-compliant features removed?

Does the removal of the pistol grip have to be permanent?  Meaning the gun's lower altered in such a way to forever prevent the attachment of the pistol grip.

Sorry for the somewhat redudant post, but I'm pretty new to wading through the various laws pertaining to AR ownership here in CA because up until now it's been a total impossibility.

I missed my last chance to actually own one of these (I'm in my early 20's...back when they were still legal I had neither consent from the family nor the funds to obtain one), I don't intend to miss out again if I can help it.

Thanks all.
View Quote

You're asking the right questions.

For me it's a personal choice and a budgetary issue.  I like building ARs from scratch, and most importantly for the price of one complete rifle I can buy several stripped lowers and build them at my leisure over a period of years.

FWIW my first AR purchase was triggered by fear of restrictive gun laws.  The restrictions didn't happen when I first thought they would, but they did happen.  The situation today is unique and may not last very long.  I'd wager that there are more AR and AK type rifles in California today than there would have been had Roberti-Roos and SB-23 never been contemplated.

If you want a complete rifle sans pistol grip, then by all means buy one.  I can't predict what dealers are going to be carrying what items (or if ANY dealers will have the balls to sell ARs), or how long this window will be open.  I almost lost one purchase last year.  During the 10-day waiting period a PWA lower I bought at a gun show became an assault weapon and then reverted to not being an assault weapon.  If the DoJ had not rescinded its memo, I would been forced to return that item to the seller.

Removal of the pistol grip does not have to be permanent.
Link Posted: 6/30/2001 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Does this also mean we will be seeing the Kalashnikov Saiga rifles on the dealers racks here in the PRK again. No SB23 evil features on that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top