Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2003 10:49:29 AM EDT
Three weeks ago I sent out my credit card payment.  Plenty of time for it to go from Arizona to Wisconsin.

Yesterday I was checking my savings account balance.  "Gee, there's a lot in there!  Cool!  ...  Waaaaaait a sec....."

I compared checks cashed to checks written and discovered my credit card payment was never cashed.  I checked my card online and it was still showing as payment being due with nothing received.  Payment was due in 12 hours.

Okay, fine.  I did an online transfer and all is well.

No, not really.  The check arrived THAT DAY and was posted today.  The postal service took THREE WEEKS to send a piece of first class mail from Arizona to Wisconsin.

I've double-paid.  Thankfully I can cover the double payment, but I'm going to be LOW on funds for at LEAST another month.

%^@%#!

Mike
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Isn't it also possible that some dude at the CC company had his thumb up his ass or it got lost internally, after the PO delivered it?

Someone defintely screwed up - but I'm not sure you can conclude it's the post office.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you have a balance they'll credit you and you can put everything on the credit card this month.

A couple of months ago I had to just mail in a check without having received the actual statement from the credit card company.  I wrote on a piece of paper that I didn't receive a paper statement and requested another one for my records.  About a week later I received the replacement.  The very next day I got the first one in the mail, all mangeled, stepped on, and having gotten wet.  GO U.S.P.S.!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Isn't it also possible that some dude at the CC company had his thumb up his ass or it got lost internally, after the PO delivered it?

Someone defintely screwed up - but I'm not sure you can conclude it's the post office.

I should have mentioned this earlier...  But I've had this card and this company since 1996 and this has NEVER happened.

The post office out here has delivered Christmas cards in February, March issues of magazines in June, has crushed pachages sent to me so they'll fit into my apartment mailbox...

...among other things.

You are technically right that I cannot prove who screwed up.  But in light of past performance, I blame the USPS.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had great service from the postal service for the most part.  They deliver a LOT of mail everyday in a timely fashon.  Of course, as with every other company they do screw thing up every now and again but I would have to think that is the exception to the rule.

What other shipping company is any better?  I have heard horror stories about UPS, FedX etc. too.  Don't go "postal" over this!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally, there is no way in hell I'd let my bank account sit for three week without being checked. Of you are gonna write checks and allow all of them folks access to your numbers, you should check your balance almost daily.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
You should have a credit in the amount of your overpayment, so as long as your purchases are made with the card, you're in fat city - and how 'bout this: a month before Christmas! So, if you eat baloney sandwiches till Xmas, you can buy presents without a financial hangover in January!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]
They deliver all the regualar stuff on time without a problem.  But everytime it is something important, personal, or expensive, it seems like they screw it up.  Like when they delivered my AK drums to the totally wrong address.  Dumbasses.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#9]
This same exact thing happened to me with a credit card bill (never ever happened to anything else).  They shut down my card because I didn't know they didn't get my check.  I called them up and they were quite rude about it, accusing me of lying about sending the payment.  So I made another payment, then two days later they cash the original check.  I cancelled my card because I was sure it was their fault.  Even if it wasn't they were a-holes about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top