Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 6:20:50 PM EDT
Found this over at Army Times. Locale is Afghanistan. What kind of gun is this?

ETA maybe I should have posted this at the "what the heck kind of gun is this?" forum...
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a chopped up Martini-Henry rifle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yep, possibly a Martini-Henry police shotgun. Barrel looks fat.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

That's a cryin' shame !!!

ETA:  Wow - within 3 minutes, 3 different people said chopped Martini-Henry.  Arfcom is amazing (unless we're wrong )
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Martini henry, possibly one of those hand made 'khyber pass' models from afghanistan/pakistan. Saw pics of someone at a afghani bazaar and a gun dealer there had a pile of old british imperial weapons, martini henrys, martini metfords, sniders, SMLEs, all kinds of nice shit. What I would like to know is if soldiers can ship martinis back to the United States since they are not even paperwork guns here.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't some of the later series use the .303 British cartridge?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, possibly a Martini-Henry police shotgun. Barrel looks fat.

Don't think it's a shotgun, martini shotguns usually have notch rear sites, that one appears to still have the long range elevation adjusting rear site. I believe it is a calvary model, I forget the name the shorter ones have off hand though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Didn't some of the later series use the .303 British cartridge?

Yes, the martini-enfield was chambered in .303 brit. Didn't see much use though with the advent and adoption of the SMLE. They are prized by shooters though since you can still easily find .303 ammo vs. 450/577 ammo which runs close to 100$ for 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep

All you do is get a letter from JAG(5 mins)

You put the letter in the shipping box and send it home.

FREE

Quoted:
Martini henry, possibly one of those hand made 'khyber pass' models from afghanistan/pakistan. Saw pics of someone at a afghani bazaar and a gun dealer there had a pile of old british imperial weapons, martini henrys, martini metfords, sniders, SMLEs, all kinds of nice shit. What I would like to know is if soldiers can ship martinis back to the United States since they are not even paperwork guns here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top