Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2005 9:45:03 AM EDT
Ok more like wouldyou do it? A buddy of mine has somone he knows from work who is selling a dillon 550 for $200 including everything needed to reload 9mm(the dies and such) I don't know what all else comes with it yet. He asked me if I wanted to go half on it with him. The thing is I don't know if i like the 50/50 thing or not.

I see problems arising from spliting the cost of the machine and than having it at one persons house. So I was thinking of just saying hey i'll pay for the thing and set it up and everything because I'm the one that will be most likly to use it on a rgular basis. And than if he wants to load some stuff up or pay for the components I'll load some up for him or he can come over and load some up or whatever. I shoot about 10X more than he does, I've got about 3k of brass for 9mm if not more, and another 1.5k or so of .40 not to mention the 2-3k of 5.56 and about 1k-1.5k of .308 and a shit load of 30-06 and some 7.62x39.

What do ya'll think?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
My best friend and I split the cost of our reloading setup.  We usually shot together, so we'd just get together and crank out a few thousand rounds.  I also had a key, so I could reload anytime I wanted.

I've now moved away, so we're dividing up the setup, but over the years we've acquired duplicates of most items.  I guess it really depends on how good of friends you are, and will the other person have access whenever they want.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
One of the few 1911 I have witnessed KB happened when the owner of the gun used ammo someone else loaded and gave to him. 10 rounds into a match KAAABOOMM. I learned from his mistake.

I wouldnt want to share a press. I would not want to be in charge of reloading ammo for anyone else. The time spent on a 550 to crank out a 1k of ammo for someone seems like it takes 5 time longer than making a 1k for yourself. what happens if your buddy wants ammo and you dont feel like making it. It takes at least an 1 to 3 hour to make 1k of pistol ammo depending on how nice you want it.

I let a friend of mine come over and reload his brass on my machine sometimes. I do it as a pure favor because I dont change the setting on my press, he get what it spits out. Once I have it dailed in I dont like to change unless I am switching calibers. He does the work and I supervise and drink beer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#4]
That's an awesome price on a 550. If money's not super tight, just buy it yourself and let your friend use it as needed. He brings all his own supplies and sets his own powder charges/bullet seating...I've let friends do that and it works well. Natrually I do NOT load for them. You'll really prefer the option of having it under your control. Changing settings is no big deal as long as you record your settings (bullet seat depth for ex).

FWIW, on my 550, I get about 350-400 rds per hour of 9mm so you can work evenings on filling up that empty brass and in a week, all your 9mm will be loaded.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#5]
W3rd

I have a buddy that bought a 550 complete setup for .45ACP.  He then took a job where he's almost never at home, so he set up a portable table thing, slapped it on there, and let me take it.  I load some for him every once in a while.  Load some for myself whenever I need some.   Not a bad deal, IMO.

In the situation above, $200 is a killer deal.  I'd snatch that myself, and let my buddy come use it when he wants to.    Then no bickering over it.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#6]
A buddy and I went in on a shotgun shell reloader. It worked out great while we lived together in college. Then when we moved away we both wanted to keep it. I ended up paying him half so I could keep it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top