Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2004 8:07:12 AM EDT
My buddies have been hitting me up pretty hard to go deer hunting this year. I already have a Marlin 336cc picked out.  But I just dont know if I want to go.

For starters I used to go out and shoot birds and stuff in college with my 835 ulti mag. Didnt really bother me at all. Got out of college and got a house and a dog. Since I have gotten my dog I just hate to kill about anything. And it doesnt help that my dad passed away suddenly in Febuary. Guess I'm getting soft. Geez, I'm only 29!

I just dont know if I can bring my self to kill a deer. Now I will say if someone broke into my house I would not hesitate to shoot.  But sitting up in a tree with a scoped rifle.....I just dont know if I can do it.  It almost seems to me that I dont have the right to kill the deer. If I was starving and needed food I'm sure I could do it easily.

Now I'm not downing hunting or anything like that at all. Most of my friends go deer hunting every year. And I do eat meat and I know animals have died for my steak or Wendys cheesburger. I guess its jus the fact that I would be seeing my deer chilli standing in front of me.

So, all you hunters, how do feel about it? And once again, I'm not anti- hunting or anything like that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#1]
When I was 17 I nailed a bird in a tree with a BB gun.  I felt bad.

I was worried about how I would feel with a deer, and it took 5 seasons of hunting public hunting land to get my first.  But I shot it.  Head shot, so it died instantly.  The adrenaline rush of it is increadable.  I went up to it.  Put my hand on it, and thankd the Lord for providing such a fine animal for my consumption.

No remorse, no regrets, goes great with steak sauce.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not the kill, it's the hunt. That's what it's all about.

But then after the fact. I take great pleasure in knowing I possess the skills to take my prey from hoof to table.

And damn, me and my family love deer meat.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Just remember to bring a good hunting dog....

(Stolen from someone elses post, but really funny)
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I kill 6-10 every year. Eat vension year-round. Spend 1/3 or more of my income on hunting-related stuff.

But if it's not your thing, don't lose sleep over it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I think you should try it and find out for yourself. That's the only way you will know for sure.

I was raised around hunting of all types, but I have noticed that as I get older (I'm only 30) and have a 2 year old daughter I see life a little differently than I used to. I'm still a big time hunter, just a little more appreciative of life in general. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I really get into spending a quiet morning alone with my thoughts while scanning the trees.

But I also love the adrenalin of a hot trail and the chase.

Things I like:
1) The camraderie
2) Using my rifles for their intended purposes.

It is great fun but not for everyone.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I get my best sleep hunting
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You sound like my dad.  I'm tempted, but I fight it off.  He killed a nice buck one time when it woke him up.  
CR
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1  I love bundled up with gun in hand, 27 degree, 15 minute power naps
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, I can't really help you. It's a primordial thing with me. I become a different person when I'm in the woods, instinct take over, the senses become sharper, I am a predator. I guess it's inate in me, something natural. I must have the hunter gene.

Funny, I read a book once on diets for certain blood types. When I turned to the chapter for my blood type, O +, the title was, "O Positive, The Hunter".

It's in the blood...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I love to kill.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sound like my dad.  I'm tempted, but I fight it off.  He killed a nice buck one time when it woke him up.  
CR

My 50-60 hour work weeks make for a tired Hokie at O-Dark Thirty Saturday morning!  Nodding off for an hour is absolute hunting heaven....

Nothing like waking up and looking around....to see what I've been missing!  A lot of times I'll nestle into a sweet spot mid afternoon after some tracking....I like to sit and watch during dusk.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Not all men have it in them to shoot a deer .
That being said the shooting  of a deer is such a small part of hunting.
I shot my first spike horn on the farm at the age of seven and it was a bitter sweet experience
and although I have missed many deer over the past 29 years That I have hunted ,I have never missed
opening day of rifle season With father and brothers and now nieces and nephews!!!
In closing I would like to add havesting a deer for your own use is IMHO far better than watching one starve to death in the dead of winter
Happy hunting
BIG
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#14]
You don't sound like you REALLY want to hunt.

So don't.

But go with your buddies for the comradarie-extreme bullshitting, playing cards, talking about past and present pussy around the campfire, downing a few cold ones AFTER the hunt, etc.

Be the camp cook. (That is, IF you can cook)

Hunt with a camera instead.

There's lots of things to do on a deer hunt without hunting and you can still have an enjoyable and memorable experience.

I know two people back in Missouri that lost the desire to hunt but still go every year just to get away from the house for a while and have some fun with the buddies. They do the things I've described above.

I've lived in AZ for 7 years now and I've been applying for the firearms elk hunts for 6 years and haven't been drawn. But I still go elk hunting with my friends that HAVE been drawn. Archery and firearms.

Again, just to get away for a while and have a good time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sorry, I can't really help you. It's a primordial thing with me. I become a different person when I'm in the woods, instinct take over, the senses become sharper, I am a predator. I guess it's inate in me, something natural. I must have the hunter gene.

Funny, I read a book once on diets for certain blood types. When I turned to the chapter for my blood type, O +, the title was, "O Positive, The Hunter".

It's in the blood...

+1

Have the o-positive blood also. Never heard that one before.

Dustin98SS

If nothing else, put on the orange and bring a camera.
You will still be able to enjoy your friends sport with them,
and get to enjoy that magical time at day break when the woods and fields
come alive. Mabey bring that gun also in case you have a change of heart
at an opportune moment.

GM
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#16]
You could mount a camera to a spotting scope (and maybe mount all that on an old gunstock?) and take some awesome pics while hunting with your buddies... thats what I highly recomend!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You don't sound like you REALLY want to hunt.

So don't.

But go with your buddies for the comradarie-extreme bullshitting, playing cards, talking about past and present pussy around the campfire, downing a few cold ones AFTER the hunt, etc.

Be the camp cook. (That is, IF you can cook)

Hunt with a camera instead.

There's lots of things to do on a deer hunt without hunting and you can still have an enjoyable and memorable experience.

I know two people back in Missouri that lost the desire to hunt but still go every year just to get away from the house for a while and have some fun with the buddies. They do the things I've described above.

I've lived in AZ for 7 years now and I've been applying for the firearms elk hunts for 6 years and haven't been drawn. But I still go elk hunting with my friends that HAVE been drawn. Archery and firearms.

Again, just to get away for a while and have a good time.

I totaly agree with this. Even if you don't hunt go with. There is more to the hunting experiance besides pulling the trigger  with a deer in your sites. I haven't killed me a deer yet and I don't really care either. It's a good time just hanging out with some close friends.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You could mount a camera to a spotting scope (and maybe mount all that on an old gunstock?) and take some awesome pics while hunting with your buddies... thats what I highly resommend!

I second this idea. I went for years with a camera and had a ball. Get a good quality one and stalk them, using a pic in place of the kill shot. Who knows, you mayt change your mind and want to shoot a gun, but at the very least you will enjot the great outdoors, and have the pics for bragging rights.

Also, some magazines pay good money for good pics.. fullclip

Edit to add, don't let them give you crap for not wanting to shoot a deer. It's noit everyones game. Just enjoy the day.. fullclip
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You could mount a camera to a spotting scope (and maybe mount all that on an old gunstock?) and take some awesome pics while hunting with your buddies... thats what I highly resommend!

I second this idea. I went for years with a camera and had a ball. Get a good quality one and stalk them, using a pic in place of the kill shot. Who knows, you mayt change your mind and want to shoot a gun, but at the very least you will enjot the great outdoors, and have the pics for bragging rights.

Also, some magazines pay good money for good pics.. fullclip

A neighbor of mine makes good money this way !
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#20]
There are two types of meat-eaters: Predators and scavengers.

Be a predator.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There are two types of meat-eaters: Predators and scavengers.

Be a predator.

A pure first order predator, to be exact. You don't want to be confused with any of those A/C-D/C predator/scavenger types....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Go.  Hunt.  Kill a deer.

Then thank the deer for letting you take its life for your own sustenance.  

Get your hunting buddies to "blood" you, even if that isn't the normal practice in Oklahoma.  This can only be done by someone that has killed a deer before, preferably the most experienced hunter - he should dip his fingers in the deers blood and paint stripes on each side of your face.

Your feelings are normal, but so is hunting - you just need to awaken the instinct.  The truth is this; hunting is an important skill that every man ought to learn.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#23]
A deer ran out onto the parkway near my house. My niegbor's car hit the deer sendng her, along with her 2 young children, to their deaths when the car ran off the road and crashed into a barrier wall.

Is that a good enough reason?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#24]
true it's not for every one, but it can be a very magical experience.....as for feeling guilty, a wise old man once told me "the day I don't feel just a little bit sad or guilty is the day I quit going"

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Invite Ted Turner along, he caused a lot of this crap and you can have a little accident. :-)
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Cameras hell.  Go kill something.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#28]
WOW! After all you guys replies I guess I'm just going to have to go. I appreciate every word you guys wrote. I guess I just needed some hunters perspective.

And I do know hunting is more than just pulling the trigger. I've scouted out some places with my friends. I can usually spot rubs or bedding before they do. And yes, there is even more than just scouting.

Thanks guys, I'll let you all know how I come out this winter. Like my friends say, since it will be my first time I'll probably get a state record. And I expect nothing less
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Just remember to bring a good hunting dog....
img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/franfrie/pissed.jpg

(Stolen from someone elses post, but really funny)

Damn, that's funny.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Start with stray cats and work your way up from there.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Hmph.

I grew up in the city and never had the opportunity to go hunting. Wish I could someday before I die.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

It's in the blood...

Hmm, interesting.  I'm O positive and I have a very strong predator instinct.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Hmph.

I grew up in the city and never had the opportunity to go hunting. Wish I could someday before I die.

I grew up in the city too. Never went hunting until I was 23 years old. I'm fanatical now!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Hell yes,  it is safe,  my state only had 31 hunters killed by fellow hunters who mistook them for game. Come on and join the sport -- see you in the woods.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#35]
There is no way to reproduce the rush you get upon seeing deer when you are hunting.  You block out all noise, you can be freezing cold and shivering moments before, but that all goes away and your body kicks into instinct mode.  

If you see a nice buck... whether you shoot or not, you may find that your body is shaking uncontrollably... don't worry, it's natural.  

After you take the shot and calm down... think back and laugh to yourself about the fact that you hardly heard the rifle when it went off... and barely felt the recoil regardless of caliber.  Adrenaline does funny things to your body.

I just wish hunting was still this way with me.  I don't get as excited anymore.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Guys, don't forget about that "Buck Fever" the very first time you pulled the trigger.

I was 11 years old and I can recall everything that happened during my first kill up to and including shaking to death, having my heart pounding out of my chest, sighting my double barrel shotgun, then closing my eyes before shooting(I was 11, what do you expect)!

I hunt with a club in New Jersey since that age of 11. My father brought me into the world of hunting and I hunt with him, my brother, my uncles and my own 17 year old son since HE was 10 years old! These are memories that will last with all of us when family and friends start leaving this world.

What is it about hunting that makes it desireable to do?

1)It is more about getting back to your roots than actually getting a kill.
(you are the worlds top predator being a human and all).
2)It is being there when one of your party gets that deer for the first time.
3)It is blending into the woods and watching the world of nature come alive because it thinks the dumb human has left the area.
3)It is unpluging from your everyday world of phones, work, family issues, etc. for a psycological break.

Hunting is a whole lot more than killing something and the only people who know that are the hunters themselves.

To understand why you have to become one.

RW3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top