Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2006 4:56:23 PM EDT
I recently bought a six pack of Guiness.  I've bought some before but I found somthing new,  I think.  A piece of white plastic in each of thebottles.  Is that normal or what?

Thanks

David
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
nitrogen charge
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, normal.  It is put in there to make the bottled guiness taste more like draught guiness.  I believe it has something to do with carbonation, but I know that is why it's in there.

Edit: BRILLIANT!!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
nitrogen charge

yup
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Its the nitrogen 'widget'.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]
It is called a widget.

Guinness widget
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You have the bottles and it is called the rocket widget. It releases a little bit of nitrogen with each tip of the bottle. The bottles are meant to be drank straight from the bottle. While the can is meant to be poured directly into a glass after opening.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
That's called the "dongle"

They used to be round balls in the cans, they're sort of rocket shaped in the bottles. I only buy bottles now.

I just love that Draught head on the beer!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet!!!

Learned somthing new today!!! BRILLANT!!

David
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
WOW  thats pretty tight....makes me wanna go buy some just to try it out...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Guiness

Too bitter.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
The widget still does not stop the Guinness from tasting like ass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Where about's in New Mexico?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Now that I am thinking about it...I have a question....

When you drink it out of the bottle and down to the last drop the "widget" will not fit out of the mouth of the bottle....

So, how do they get it in the first place?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They used to be round balls in the cans

Still a round ball in the cans.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Tiny leprechauns build it inside the bottle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

When you drink it out of the bottle and down to the last drop the "widget" will not fit out of the mouth of the bottle....

Magic

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I remember when I first bought the bottles...my old fridge used to freeze things that would be kept in the very back. I pulled out a bottle and drank it and heard something rattling inside. I figured that the beer had frozen. So I let it sit for awhile but it still rattled...I broke the danm bottle to figure out what was in it. I should have just read the damn box..
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Don't worry nobody's going to take away your Keystone Light man.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't worry nobody's going to take away your Keystone Light man.

I drink bourbon and microbrews, like real men do.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

A common mistake is that Guinness is served too cold and tastes bad. It is meant to be served at a cool temp, like that of a cellar, not ice cold or warm.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Guinness

Too bitter.

Pray tell, what do you consider a smooth beer?  I've always considered Guinness a very smooth mild beer.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've always considered Guinness a very smooth mild beer.  

Exactly.

I hate bitter beer and I absolutely LOVE Guinness.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A common mistake is that Guinness is served too cold and tastes bad. It is meant to be served at a cool temp, like that of a cellar, not ice cold or warm.

Tell that to the people at St. James Gate in Dublin.  It comes out of the tap there almost frozen.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's what their site says:

Six Degrees of Preparation

GUINNESS® Draught is best served at 6°C (that’s 42.8°F), with the legendary two-part pour. First, tilt the glass to 45 degrees and carefully pour until three quarters full. Then place the glass on the bar counter and leave to settle. Once the surge has settled, fill the glass to the brim. It takes about 119.5 seconds to pour the perfect pint. But don’t fret. It’s worth the wait.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

GUINNESS® Draught is best served at 6°C (that’s 42.8°F), with the legendary two-part pour. First, tilt the glass to 45 degrees and carefully pour until three quarters full. Then place the glass on the bar counter and leave to settle. Once the surge has settled, fill the glass to the brim. It takes about 119.5 seconds to pour the perfect pint. But don’t fret. It’s worth the wait.

As long as it takes less than 2 minutes, it's okay with me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I  learned to drink Guiness while stationed in Gitmo form the Jamaicans. I loved it and it became my beer of choice. I went to the UK on a float and met up with some RN types and we went to the "Sailors and Soldiers Club" in Portsmouth England. They cautioned me that what we Yanks call Beer they call Lager, and that most Yanks don't like British Beer.

"Barman," Sez I "I'll have a pint of Guiness please." The fellow who had cautioned me was the butt of the jokes of his mates.

Guiness, It's good for you! Now thats an ad campaign.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Guiness

Too bitter.

Sissy.

-K
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
nitrogen charge

Nitrogen Charge BRILLIANT!.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I've tasted Guinness but I've never tasted ass. I'll take your word for it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#30]
guiness is australian for "cold piss"
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Guiness

Too bitter.

Well you can still enjoy the widget and the "casscade" effect with  Boddington's
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Useless info - the ball is actually the second generation of canned Guiness widgets - the original design was more of a hockey puck shape.

Now what's wrong with Keystone Light???

(and by the way, Sukebe, don't fret - I'm sure you'll get to touch a girl someday )
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#33]
widget
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

That's out of a tap my friend.

The bottles at the store are ment to be drank straight from the bottle.

Try it, it's smoother out of the bottle then pouring into a glass.

The cans are ment to be poured into a glass.

I didn't like for the longest time but I must say I bought a 6 six of bottles recently and kept an open mind and I must say it's not too bad.

I think the nitro tapped beer is hard for some to get used to, it's almost flat.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Guiness was the first beer I evere ordered after I turned 21. It was sooo good coming from the tap. Almost like a milkshake with the thick foam. The first time I tried it though was from the bottle and didn't necessarily like it. Preferred it in a pint glass. I will have to try the cans though if they are made for pouring. Oh and you know what Friday is right?

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guinness

Too bitter.

Pray tell, what do you consider a smooth beer?  I've always considered Guinness a very smooth mild beer.  

I agree.  Smooooooth
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I like it much better out of a can or on tap than out of the bottle.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Picture of me enjoying a fresh pint of Guinness in the Gravity Bar located directly above the St. James Gate Brewery(home of Guinness Extra Stout) in Dublin, Ireland.

The Gravity Bar is about seventy feet up in the air and offers a nearly 360* view of Dublin and the surrounding area.

Fresh Guinness right from the tap ROCKS!!!

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:36:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Guiness tastes like ass because it was trickeled thru some ass crack, but slowly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:47:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Guiness tastes like ass because it was trickeled thru some ass crack, but slowly.

Well then I drink ass crack trickeled beer then. AND LOVE IT!

BRILLIANT!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#41]
The key to a good beer is whether you can pour a packet of unflavored oatmeal into it and call it a well balanced breakfast.

Bitter, Guniess.   Feckin' pansies.  A beer is not meant to be seen through.  A beer is not all fizzy.  Zima is not a beer, lippo.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:39:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then I drink ass crack trickeled beer then. AND LOVE IT!

BRILLIANT!!!!!

+1  

Guess I love ass crack beer too!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:49:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Guinness. The Bud Light of stouts!

Too much black patent, not enough mouthfeel. Try a Sam Smith's Oatmeal stout if you want a good beer. Oh, by the way, the reason guinness tastes a bit off is that they sour the mash before they lauter. Mmmmmmm....lactobaccillus....

I like beer with a little bit of hops in it. Double Bastard for me, thanks. Or Chimay Red--bottle conditioned beer is best.

GT

Beer Geek.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:00:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell that to the people at St. James Gate in Dublin.  It comes out of the tap there almost frozen.

My bottles, and I have a few, all say server EXTREMELY COLD.

Guiness is the shit man.  One of the best beers made.  So creamy, great taste.

Also goes good as a meal.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Too much black patent, not enough mouthfeel. Try a Sam Smith's Oatmeal stout if you want a good beer. Oh, by the way, the reason guinness tastes a bit off is that they sour the mash before they lauter. Mmmmmmm....lactobaccillus....

I like beer with a little bit of hops in it. Double Bastard for me, thanks. Or Chimay Red--bottle conditioned beer is best.

GT

Beer Geek.

Yeah, most of those beers that have been made for centuries taste bad,  those brewers no nothing!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:05:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GT

Beer Geek.

Yeah, most of those beers that have been made for centuries taste bad,  those brewers noknow nothing!

You certainly "no" nothing
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I lived briefly in Ireland.  Temperature and quality of Guiness can vary a great deal.  Many pubs store their kegs outdoors.  This can work great if it is cold outdoors but if the temp varies a lot the beer can be warmer and get somewhat skunked.  I found that busier places which went through a lot of beer had the best Guiness.  And although I drank plenty of Guiness I found I liked Smithwicks better.  When I was there Guiness went for around one pound twenty pence a pint.  That was around $1.25.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GT

Beer Geek.

Yeah, most of those beers that have been made for centuries taste bad,  those brewers noknow nothing!

You certainly "no" nothing

Not true, I know you are an anal retentive ass.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Magic

www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/kids/images/harry_potter/harry_and_wand_270.jpg

Harry Potter is gay.

It isn't magic either.  The Rocket Widget (tm) has flexible "wings" which fold back to allow it to be inserted in the bottle.  Once in the bottle, the widget wings spring back preventing it from falling out.  A small hook on the end of a piece of wire can be used to extract the widget.  

I do this since the bottles are suitable for home brew.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
The key to a good beer is whether you can pour a packet of unflavored oatmeal into it and call it a well balanced breakfast.

Bitter, Guniess.   Feckin' pansies.  A beer is not meant to be seen through.  A beer is not all fizzy.  Zima is not a beer, lippo.

Amen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top