Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2006 12:26:35 PM EDT
I need to replace my gas grill, I have a deck mounted (post mount) natural gas unit made by Broil King that lasted only 4 years. The mounting plate rusted out and I am having trouble finding parts.

I may just buy a new one, but no one has post mount grills in stock!

Recommendations of what brand? where to order or find one in stock?

all opinions welcome ...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You might see if a machine shop can make a new plate for you.  

Have you tried ordering a plate direct from Broil King?  www.broilkingbbq.com/broilking/home.asp
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
We got the cheapest Broil-King available at Home Depot.

It has been working flawlessly for 2 years now, being left outside all year round.

I can't imagine spending more on a grill unless I really wanted it as a status symbol or an oject d'art or whatever people think the really expensive ones are.

Yes, I have cooked on a high dollar one.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a sears kenmore brand I have used for 9 yrs now,have had to replace the burner,gas regulator,and ignitor 3 times now,easily obtainable parts kits from sears.
BTW I live downwind from a concrete plant that spews lime dust 24/7,when I first got the grill I bought a cover for it,lasted about 6 months before the cover fell apart,but the grill is still good to go.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You might see if a machine shop can make a new plate for you.  

Have you tried ordering a plate direct from Broil King?  www.broilkingbbq.com/broilking/home.asp

Yes I talked to them but they are in Canada ... they needed to send the parts to a dealer or something. or if they send to me, they need my SSN for some reason??? I may get a friend of mine to order them thru his applaince business if I indeed decide to fix this unit.

I'm kinda leaning towards buying a new one though .... even if I replace the mounting plate, it still needs new cooking grill plates and the shell is very corroded. i would spend a good bit of time and money just getting this Broil King back in functioning order.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
i like DCS grills myself, don't make a post mounted one though
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
here ya go, this one is only $5,199.00 AND you get free shipping!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

www.homefirehearth.com/store/images/BGB48BQAR-logo-6.gif

Free shipping!  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

www.homefirehearth.com/store/images/BGB48BQAR-logo-6.gif

I have that same DCS grill, but it also has a 2 eye stove burner on the left side. It is an awesome grill. It cooks so evenly it's hard to mess up a meal. It also gets VERY hot, which is great for cooking steaks to sear in the juices.

DCS Link

The TEC Grills are also excellent. DCS and TEC grills are the real deal. You won't believe how much better your meat will taste when you use one. My DCS is 5 years old and still looks and works like new.

TEC Link

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The TEC Grills are also excellent. DCS and TEC grills are the real deal. You won't believe how much better your meat will taste when you use one. My DCS is 5 years old and still looks and works like new.

TEC Link

TEC had a patio mount grill ... Im checking into this now ...  thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Gas...?

I thought grillz were supposed to be made out of gold and platinum and diamonds.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]
WEBER
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
What brand does Hank Hill sell?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#15]
get a charcoal grill
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Gas sucks, get charcoal and wood.
Had one and hated it. went back to charcoal and wood and everything tastes better, not that kingsford crap either.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#17]
a.quality.cover.is.your.best.friend
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 20 dollar BBQ that I use to cook. Just the wife and I and its all we need.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a stainless Jenn-Air grill from Lowe's.  It was a scratch/dent special.  Small dent took all of 10 minutes to fix.  My cost?  $250.00.   Retail? $650.00.  It sure puts out some heat too!!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#21]
For thousands of years man has been happy with a fire pit in the ground.

And now you are asking advice on a gas grill

Boy have times changed

But then again, modern grills do let us cook mastodon while standing erect

GM
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#22]
$11,622

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Gas sucks, get charcoal and wood.
Had one and hated it. went back to charcoal and wood and everything tastes better, not that kingsford crap either.

Gas is nice for late night snacks when I don't feel like firing up the big pit.  I also use the side burner to start my charcoal chimney.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:49:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
a.quality.cover.is.your.best.friend

It was covered while not in use ....
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:58:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a SS Charbroil from Lowes. I purchased it this January. It was the last one of that model they had. I snaged it because it was stainless construction, had cast bronze burners, and heavy SS cooking grates. Virtually all of the other ones they had had stamped or rolled SS burners and cheaper grates.

The cast bronze burners and heavy SS cooking grates sold me. I see this lasting me years. I keep it outside and covered. It gets used ~ 10-15 times a month. I paid ~ $430.00 on sale.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have a SS Charbroil from Lowes. I purchased it this January. It was the last one of that model they had. I snaged it because it was stainless construction, had cast bronze burners, and heavy SS cooking grates. Virtually all of the other ones they had had stamped or rolled SS burners and cheaper grates.

The cast bronze burners and heavy SS cooking grates sold me. I see this lasting me years. I keep it outside and covered. It gets used ~ 10-15 times a month. I paid ~ $430.00 on sale.

Nice unit.  The one reason the burner quality doesn't matter too much to me is that they are usually easy and cheap to replace.  Mine is about 9 yrs old and just now needs a new grill top and burner.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:52:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Gas is also better for SHTF situations.  With a few tanks of propane you can be cooking for months.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Gas is also better for SHTF situations.  With a few tanks of propane you can be cooking for months.

My natural gas grill was our only way of cooking during hurricane katrina ....
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
My natural gas grill was our only way of cooking during hurricane katrina ....

Yeah, this is why I am looking to buy a gas grill as well.

I already have a charcoal grill.  It's a Weber One Touch Gold and I like it.  

But with all the flu pandemic stuff, I am going to need a cooking option beyond my little Whisperlite Internationale backpacking white gas stove.  I'd be much better off with a gas grill and a few tanks of propane than with a buttload of charcoal.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok I wish I had a Weber.
But what I have is a large Uniflame from Wally world (not worht your time to flame).
I got it a year and a half ago on clearance, it has the cast iron burners and SS body.
It was tossed 60 feet by the Tornado and broke some of the plastic parts. I was given the replacement value by my Ins. co. enough to buy a Weber, but at the time cash was king when trying to put the house back together.
Last night I spent 2 hours making some repairs as I wanted to grill some pork steaks. Darn thing still works, not as many features but for now ok.
I have a smoker and a wood cook stove also.
I had looked into Natural gas grills but I had trouble finding the BTU output that a propane can give.
I also found that in a disaster situation propane tanks can be easy to get as many pieces of constuction equipment use propane to start the diesels in cold weather.
Also there was so many gas meters damaged they had to shut down the "grid" in my area. So I used the smoker and Woodstove until the food went bad.
IMHO I would stay away from Nat. units stock up on propane (I have 5 20lbs tanks) and some source of solid fuel cooking unit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top