Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 8:17:37 PM EDT
I'll bite.  Let's roll.  OldGuy, give it your best shot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Where's...that....popcorn???
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#2]
"OK...What IS the Jewish opinion of Christianity?"

Do you want my opinion as an individual Jew or are you looking for some sort of official Jewish opinion of Christianity?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Do you want my opinion as an individual Jew or are you looking for some sort of official Jewish opinion of Christianity?

___

Hey, there, OldGuy...you've been sort of "called-out" here, and unfairly.  All of us Jews have responded similarly.  

Let me add that it's a no-win situation for those who want answers, since these have been offered already. Even in the previous thread of "Question for the arfcom Jews that concerns Jesus", there was some good discussion, which became diluted from the original post. Most posts were good, informative, and on-target, though as is expected, I suppose, it digressed as opposing viewpoints where added.

This generally resolves into two questions of this issue, which were addressed previously, and for which Christians ask, and the Jews have responded so for millennia:

Of Christians: Why do Jews fail to understand their own [not our own; the Hebrew Bible is not the “Old Testament"] scripture and accept Jesus as the foretold Messiah?

Of Jews: Why did you abandon the mother faith?

Ed

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

___

Hey, there, OldGuy...you've been sort of "called-out" here, and unfairly.

Let me add that it's a no-win situation for those who want answers, since these have been offered already. Even in the previous thread of "Question for the arfcom Jews that concerns Jesus", there was some good discussion, which became diluted from the original post. Most posts were good, informative, and on-target, though as is expected, I suppose, it digressed as opposing viewpoints where added.

This generally resolves into two questions of this issue, which were addressed previously, and for which Christians ask, and the Jews have responded so for millennia:

Of Christians: Why do Jews fail to understand their own [not our own; the Hebrew Bible is not the “Old Testament"] scripture and accept Jesus as the foretold Messiah?

Ed

I didn't.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

___

Hey, there, OldGuy...you've been sort of "called-out" here, and unfairly.  All of us Jews have responded similarly.  

I have no idea, nor does it matter.

It was enough for me that the thread did not turn ugly causing it to be locked.

Ad nauseam.

?????

Ed

I will post an opinion and some personal observations this evening if I have time, I am going to a lecture on Christian fundamentalism.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:00:28 AM EDT
[#7]
When I suggested a Jewish opinion on Christianity thread this is one of the items I had in mind to discuss.

This week Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein, Chairman and Founder of the International Federation of Christians and Jews was in town to reassure Jews that Christians were nice people and had no hidden agenda in their support for Israel. As the event was hosted by a Baptist Church, yours truly did not attend as well as many others I know.

Our area Reformed and Conservative congregations seem to be spending a lot of time promoting  interfaith gatherings, dinners and lectures. The Orthodox and Hassidim tend to shy away form these activities and I can understand that.

So, do you support or attend such activities or think they are of any value?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:25:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When I suggested a Jewish opinion on Christianity thread this is one of the items I had in mind to discuss.

This week Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein, Chairman and Founder of the International Federation of Christians and Jews was in town to reassure Jews that Christians were nice people and had no hidden agenda in their support for Israel. As the event was hosted by a Baptist Church, yours truly did not attend as well as many others I know.

Our area Reformed and Conservative congregations seem to be spending a lot of time promoting  interfaith gatherings, dinners and lectures. The Orthodox and Hassidim tend to shy away form these activities and I can understand that.

So, do you support or attend such activities or think they are of any value?

__

Our synagogue started 12 years ago, and rented space from a Presbyterian church for three years until we were able to build.  Both faith communities continue our ties and community relief projects together.  Each community hosts dinners and get-togethers annually to strengthen our social action efforts in our area.  It’s been a tremendous value to both communities as we work together to support a shared vision of tikkun-olam with food-drives, blood donation, and care for the elderly and disabled in our county.

These relationships are of tremendous value as they foster our community faith groups in shared efforts of learning, living, and loving kindness extended to as many as we can both help and provide for, regardless of religious affiliation.

Ed

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top