Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2012 9:39:41 PM EDT
So I'm supposed to be doing a T3 lift and lay right now (that's fancy telephony speak for adding more "phone lines") and the AT&T tech is telling me we can't do the lift and lay because the provisioning work hasn't been done by their T3 provisioning team.  It was SUPPOSED to have been done by Nov. 30th.  So now I have a 2 engineers an analyst and a local tech on-site sitting here twiddling thumbs trying to figure out WTF to do.  This goddamn project has been rescheduled, shifted, and delayed for over 6 months because they cannot get their shit together.  I am on the verge of shitting gold plated kittens.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
We tried adding 4 T1s to our bundle 3 times before we got a tech that actually knew what he was doing and realized that they can't bundle 4 new lines with existing ones due to some issue with which operation manages existing lines vs. new ones.  Provisioning couldn't "access" lines that were under maintenance contracts.

We had to get brand new lines all around to do the bundle, then they decommissioned the pre-existing ones.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I bet a union is involved...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#3]
There is an intersection near me that has been stuck in the middle of improvements to add turn lanes and such for over a year and a half.  They have been waiting on AT&T to move their lines for most of that time.  The county and the DOT got so many complaints about how long things were taking that they put up a flashing light sign blaming AT&T for the delay.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There is an intersection near me that has been stuck in the middle of improvements to add turn lanes and such for over a year and a half.  They have been waiting on AT&T to move their lines for most of that time.  The county and the DOT got so many complaints about how long things were taking that they put up a flashing light sign blaming AT&T for the delay.

Just cut and continue. They'll fix it eventually.

Two companies I avoid... ATT and Verizon.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:42:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I'm supposed to be doing a T3 lift and lay right now (that's fancy telephony speak for adding more "phone lines") and the AT&T tech is telling me we can't do the lift and lay because the provisioning work hasn't been done by their T3 provisioning team.  It was SUPPOSED to have been done by Nov. 30th.  So now I have a 2 engineers an analyst and a local tech on-site sitting here twiddling thumbs trying to figure out WTF to do.  This goddamn project has been rescheduled, shifted, and delayed for over 6 months because they cannot get their shit together.  I am on the verge of shitting gold plated kittens.

you sure its at att problem?  Just had an identical problem with my client, who recently took over from us in placing orders from the telcos.  I was on the routers and my tech was onsite for an AT&T IMA bundle to VZ T3 retrofit and come to find out only 1 DLCI was ordered.  Client ordered it wrong so the 2nd one didnt get provisioned.  Im sure they blamed "VZ provisioning" to their bosses to do the CYA thing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:44:58 AM EDT
[#7]
It's all been downhill since dereg.

Once they hit bedrock, they busted out the pickaxes and kept right on going.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#8]
You mean work sucks!?!?!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Was always fun dealing with Bell South and anything digital over their lines back in the late 90's. Boy they could do voice no problem, but throw in a digital install/setup and they eventually got their shit together after the 3rd-4th time... maybe.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yep.  It has become far easier to ask forgiveness than to receive permission.  Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.
ATT has jacked us around for so long we are on the verge of bypassing them with our own OC96 statewide network.

We will get to KEEP approximately $175k per month rather than pay them.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, shit really hit the fan.  I'm pretty sure we're getting someone fired at AT&T.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#12]
"I like jargon ......."

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

works both ways. i delayed a cut over (small job) from pots to a t1 3 months cause my shiney new pbx was being a stubborn little prick. of course when i did cut over they fucked my trunk groups and DTO delaying it another month. lol. supposed to be up in july didnt get cut over until the end of november.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#14]
AT&T can climb a wall of aids infested dicks- that goes for both the commercial and residential divisions.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Was always fun dealing with Bell South and anything digital over their lines back in the late 90's. Boy they could do voice no problem, but throw in a digital install/setup and they eventually got their shit together after the 3rd-4th time... maybe.

you should try getting data working right now. (im talking modems here) i swear most of what i do now is talk to phone companies trying to get my data lines off their intralata voip trunks. thank god for 800 numbers. my clients always act like its my problem and i need to fix it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#16]
And I thought I had it bad when I noticed that one of my customer's bonded T1s was showing an error on the CSU.  A phone call to AT&T was answered with 'Really?...Oh yea, I see it now'.  That's a hell of a managed T1 we've got.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Dibbs on the kittens.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And I thought I had it bad when I noticed that one of my customer's bonded T1s was showing an error on the CSU.  A phone call to AT&T was answered with 'Really?...Oh yea, I see it now'.  That's a hell of a managed T1 we've got.

think that's bad? at another location i had a pbx die. they seen the error and put a loop back on it so it would clear out the error. had the pbx back up in 10 min, took me an hour to get them to take the loop back off!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hell, I'll guarantee the Communications Workers of America or another equal union is involved.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

think that's bad? at another location i had a pbx die. they seen the error and put a loop back on it so it would clear out the error. had the pbx back up in 10 min, took me an hour to get them to take the loop back off!

Wait, wait, you think that it's bad?? OMG

One of my clients was eating a bagel salad when the CPU Corn spilled over into the binocular RAM jar causing all kinds of earwax a-87 errors. We called AT&T and they said they viewed the T2 Terminator Elephant trunk line through the patchwork and it looked just fine.

I had to call the Apple Genius Bar from my satellite CB radio using emergency channel 9 and still had to wait on hold for over 2 hrs.
We just ended up piggy backing a dozen $1000 dollar HDMI cables from Bestbuy, it worked and brought our N-64 and A-2600 speeds up to a chamfered 87KBS per G-19 splosion. We should have just went that route from the start.

Fuck AT&T.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, wait, you think that it's bad?? OMG

One of my clients was eating a bagel salad when the CPU Corn spilled over into the binocular RAM jar causing all kinds of earwax a-87 errors. We called AT&T and they said they viewed the T2 Terminator Elephant trunk line through the patchwork and it looked just fine.

I had to call the Apple Genius Bar from my satellite CB radio using emergency channel 9 and still had to wait on hold for over 2 hrs.
We just ended up piggy backing a dozen $1000 dollar HDMI cables from Bestbuy, it worked and brought our N-64 and A-2600 speeds up to a chamfered 87KBS per G-19 splosion. We should have just went that route from the start.

Fuck AT&T.

IN RED; where can i aquire this satellite CB radio?

IN BLUE; what the fuck is up with the prices of HDMI cables at best buy anyway!?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#22]
AT&T? Verizon?

Ha. I laugh at your "issues".

At least you can find someone local to "throttle" if you have to.

Try dealing with OBS.

Or some local "provider" in isukistan.

Then get back to me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
AT&T? Verizon?

Try dealing with OBS.

Then get back to me.

i cant even imagine dude....
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I had something similar with Qwest.  I was getting weird distortion on a circuit that was intermittent, but the CSU/DS1 showed clean, but the Primary D-channel was showing errored seconds, however that channel was running with no distortion.  I went so far as to get a tech out to the demarc with a test set, and we of course couldn't reproduce the distortion....  I literally just ended up ignoring it for 2 months while they supposedly "worked the issue" never got any feed back from them at all, and finally just released the circuit one day and it was working fine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
AT&T? Verizon?

Try dealing with OBS.

Then get back to me.

60,000+ employees, 27 different countries.  Trust me, I know that pain.  I know it well...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll take those gold plated kittens off your hands for you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'll take those gold plated kittens off your hands for you.

you got beat out a little bit ago
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If you shit gold plated kittens I know a good doctor for you shredded asshole. He put mine back together quite nice after the anal fissures.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I ran the fault surveillance system for AT&T Wireless for a number of years. We started doing co-locates at wireline sites and the idea of putting some of the wireline switches on the system was discussed. Typically I'd call the switch to get an ip for the ROP port to start the alarm feed into the fault system. They would tell me the ip, I add the ip to the config and start the monitor daemon on the server. It would take all of 5 minutes, one, sometimes two phone calls if they didn't know the ip on the first call.

Then I called one of the wireline switches to do the same thing. I was asked if I had some form submitted and approved. When I told the guy all I needed was the ip for the ROP he gave me a big lecture about how "we don't just do things like that" and had I attended some training, yada, yada, yada. Yep, he was union. We never did manage to connect any of the wireline stuff to my system. Way too complicated t jump through all their hoops. Most of which were just there to keep some one on the payroll.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Do they have enough biscuits?

Telco lingo is so compared to Networking lingo.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

i always assumed they where both in the same catagory. if you know one you should at least have a basic understanding of the other. but then i work in both so maybe its just me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i always assumed they where both in the same catagory. if you know one you should at least have a basic understanding of the other. but then i work in both so maybe its just me.

A conference call is not a bridge.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Eh.

You are doing it all wrong...

But I was a provisioning tester when it was Bellsouth.

I could do a T3 in no time flat.  My guess is the project manager fucked up to be honest.  

Once the order got to me, I would have everything meet and ready to go.

Glad I don't deal with that side of Telecom anymore.  Now I install and maintain digital transport, anything from repeated T1 to DWDM like the Cisco 15454.

You should have a project manager, start there, if not get a service manager.

Usual time from order to turn up is 30 days, for engineers to do what they do, and then them to send it to capacity management, then to engineering for the design, then to the tester to handle to turn up.  

If there is no more bandwidth where you are, then your fucked till the circuit capacity manager gets off his ass and gets everything ordered and job issued to upgrade it.

Not everything is a push button job.

Also glad the normal union bashers showed up to show they know nothing how the phone company works too.  Not saying there isn't bad union techs, but we cant do shit till the managers in engineering do theirs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

More often than not it's a government utility regulating agency. (Been there 30 years as an AT&T construction manager)
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I love calling AT&T when we have a circuit down.  For some reason, it is always always always a problem with Customer Premise Equipment.  Every single time.  Even if it is on a problematic circuit that has dropped several times in the recent past.  I always have to convince the AT&T dweeb on the phone that no, it isn't CPE, it's their damned circuit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Look at the bright side, its ATT and not Verizon.  Verizon would just say "No its not ready, don't call us, we will call you, no go fuck yourself."

I was once turning up and OC-192 with VZ.  It was months behind schedule and had been escalated to the VP level.  In the middle of testing this damn thing so I could accept it and turn it over to my customer the VZ field tells me we have to stop for an hour.  I mean 15 freaking minutes from being done he tells me "Sorry, time for lunch, union rules."  About two hours later he finally called me back.

Verizon is evil and mean spirited.  ATT is just incompetent.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Weak rant.

0/10.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top