Posted: 8/22/2005 7:50:14 PM EDT
I'm with a client.

Client knows I'm pretty right wing.

I know he's about the same.

He pulls out a K-Bar from his desk.

I'm not "knife guy."

I humor him for a bit.

The, I get dragged out to his car.

I get to fondle a Makarov, which made me hot.....

But, when he grabs his Glock...One of the little ones...

Ok..Slay me..I'm not handgun guy either....Really stubby little Glock.  9mm...Like..10 rounds?

I blanked when he rested his finger on the trigger......

I wanted to scream..

"Get your finger off the damn trigger!

Holy crap...I blanked. I honestly had a hard time getting back into my

"Customer service" mode.

What would you do if your client that your living depended on was unsafe with a firearm?

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I wanted to scream..

"Get your finger off the damn trigger!

You should have ....... told him that, sternly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Get to know his second in command, real soon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoulda drawn down, that'd teach'em
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say... "Wow I love firearms, don't you? Such finely honed instruments capable of extreme precision. Boy, this one time this guy was showing me his carry piece, and he went to hand it to me with his finger on the trigger and blew a hole in the wall behind me. Scared the bejezus out of me."

I think something like that is the nicest and most tactful-in-a client situation way to handle it.

Don't bring up that he had his finger on the trigger, and don't do it when he has his finger on the trigger, but I'm sure if he's a smart guy that hasn't had a lot of firearm training or expirience he'll get the idea.

I've had to do this when a girlfriend's dad showed me his gun collection. Every damn gun he would put his finger on the trigger! I noticed he didn't do it after I relayed that story.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would say... "Wow I love firearms, don't you? Such finely honed instruments capable of extreme precision. Boy, this one time this guy was showing me his carry piece, and he went to hand it to me with his finger on the trigger and blew a hole in the wall behind me. Scared the bejezus out of me."

I think something like that is the nicest and most tactful-in-a client situation way to handle it.

Don't bring up that he had his finger on the trigger, and don't do it when he has his finger on the trigger, but I'm sure if he's a smart guy that hasn't had a lot of firearm training or expirience he'll get the idea.

I've had to do this when a girlfriend's dad showed me his gun collection. Every damn gun he would put his finger on the trigger! I noticed he didn't do it after I relayed that story.

In fairness....

He didn't actually try to hand it to me.

He was showing it, and, his finger was on the trigger.  I'm not being a Nazi...It was ON there.  It was away from me, but, it was TOWARD a public highway.

That said...My butt would pucker saying that, but, you're right.  I'd not look at the gun hand while I said it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd see if you can help the guy out.

See if he wants to go to the range.  Go to yours.   Tell him "I need to run you through the rules before they will let me bring you on the line"

Then, you can properly instruct him in the safe handling of a firearm.

Google for Cooper's 4 rules of safe gun handling - print a copy - give it to him.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
damn, whenever I show anyone one of my guns I always dump the mag and lock the slide open
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#8]
We need to keep each other in check bottom line. If we dont, we'll make the same mistake again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd see if you can help the guy out.

See if he wants to go to the range.  Go to yours.   Tell him "I need to run you through the rules before they will let me bring you on the line"

Then, you can properly instruct him in the safe handling of a firearm.

Google for Cooper's 4 rules of safe gun handling - print a copy - give it to him.

I'm a conractor, and, this guy is pretty high strung.  

I agree with what you are saying.

I don't think that me telling a client that I'm going to school him in firearms training is the bgest way to stay making money.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
damn, whenever I show anyone one of my guns I always dump the mag and lock the slide open

He did dump the mag.  Forgot to say that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I don't think that me telling a client that I'm going to school him in firearms training is the bgest way to stay making money.

That's not what I said - use the 3rd party out - you blame it on the RANGE.

"Tom, you probably already know this stuff, but the range insists we cover it with guests before they shoot here"

See?  You aren't the one requiring it, the range is
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So.................one is still in the chamber.    What difference did dumping the mag make?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So.................one is still in the chamber.    What difference did dumping the mag make?

Not what I said. man.  

That's why I was still freaking about the trigger finger.  I'd've done it anyway.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not what I said - use the 3rd party out - you blame it on the RANGE.

"Tom, you probably already know this stuff, but the range insists we cover it with guests before they shoot here"

See?  You aren't the one requiring it, the range is

My Client isn't dumb, just not aware (apparently) of firearms saftey.  I try that move..(Granted, best suggested yet) I'm screwed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Better poor than dead or maimed.

Tell him.  

Of course, that's easy for me (Captain Armchair) to say.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Tell him.  

I respect that reply.  Money is a little short right now.......I just kinda backpedaled to behind his shoulder.  Thankfully, the barell never swung this far.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell him.  

I respect that reply.  Money is a little short right now.......I just kinda backpedaled to behind his shoulder.  Thankfully, the barell never swung this far.

Amen to that, brother.   I practically had to collect soda cans for a year to save enough for the pistol for the wife.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell him.  

Amen to that, brother.   I practically had to collect soda cans for a year to save enough for the pistol for the wife.

Not like..."when I was in the Army" short

Contracting is big bucks but having to kiss up to clients sucks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't trust that safe action stuff too much.  The G22 I keep at home has a full mag, but an empty chamber, and the trigger has been depressed on the empty chamber.  Hell of a loud slide rack, I know, but I just prefer it that way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I don't trust that safe action stuff too much.  The G22 I keep at home has a full mag, but an empty chamber, and the trigger has been depressed on the empty chamber.  Hell of a loud slide rack, I know, but I just prefer it that way.

With you on what you prefer, but, you wouldn't put your finger on the trigger when not ready to pull, right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top