Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 4:27:41 AM EDT
I am selling my car "as-is" and will be accepting cash only.

I do not want the buyer to come back and say something like "hey, the so and so is not working, I want you to fix it."

Is there some sort of standard contract I can just print off that says something about the car being sold as is, no warranty expressed or implied?

Any other options?

I am not trying to scam anybody...the car has 150k on the odometer and I am getting rid of it before anything happens to it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:30:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I do not want the buyer to come back and say something like "hey, the so and so is not working, I want you to fix it."

Is there some sort of standard contract I can just print off that says something about the car being sold as is, no warranty expressed or implied?

Any other options?

I am not trying to scam anybody...the car has 150k on the odometer and I am getting rid of it before anything happens to it.

In your bill of sale use those exact words and you will be fine.

I just write name, address, vin make model, color, date, buyers info, dl number, check or cash number, and then that the car is sold as is with no warranties expressed or implied.

Wham bam thank you mam. Word of advice, do not sell on ebay or craigslist. Such an effiing nightmare have pages of reasons why not. I got 1/4 value for my pickup.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:30:43 AM EDT
[#2]

So.......what's wrong with it?  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:35:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I just wrote up a generic bill of sale that I'm sure would do absolutely no good if it came down to it.  I sold a motorcycle last fall to some retard who called me about an hour after he left bitching about how he got a flat tire and he demanded I come fix it.    He wasn't a fan of my response.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:36:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I sold my Maxima about 7 years ago to a guy.  I wrote "sold in as is condition" on the bill of sale .  The car was only five years old and was our go to car.  It was in fine shape.  The guy came back a few weeks later and said his mechanic said the brake calipers were shot and needed to be replaced. Total bill was over a thousand and he wanted me to pay half.  I told him "one, your mechaninc is full of shit and fleecing you , and two, "as is" means as is".  He sent me a copy of the bill about two weeks later and I threw it in the trash and never heard from him again.    
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:47:49 AM EDT
[#5]
This.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any other options?

I just write name, address, vin make model, color, date, buyers info, dl number, check or cash number, and then that the car is sold as is with no warranties expressed or implied.

Wham bam thank you mam. Word of advice, do not sell on ebay or craigslist. Such an effiing nightmare have pages of reasons why not. I got 1/4 value for my pickup.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:08:17 AM EDT
[#6]
As others said bill of sale with AS IS and you will be fine.

Couple years ago I sold my mustang through Craigslist.  There were annoying issues and people, but in the end I got exactly what I wanted for the car.  And sold it to a real nice guy, who I hope is taking care of my baby.

No matter what venue you use to sell the car you will have:

-no shows
-people with no intention of buying
-kids looking for a joyride test drive (especially true for nice stuff)
-people with ridiculous offers
-more people with ridiculous offers
-un-returned phones calls or emails

-but after some patience you can get the price you want (as long as it is actually fair)
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any other options?

Oh yeah, I am selling it on CL.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So.......what's wrong with it?  

Nothing really...just normal wear and tear on a honda engine with 150k miles. She will need a new clutch soon, and I don't want to have to fool with that. I'd rather just sell it on the cheap and let somebody else work on her.
http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/ac307/abhitchc/1998%20Acura%20Integra%20GSR%20For%20Sale/
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#9]
If you let him test drive it go with him. A buddy of mine let a seemingly honost fellow test drive his truck and never saw it again. Let him its as is and ansewr all his questions honestly. Done deal.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I wanted one of those when I was in HS so bad.  I still love teggys.  There is one that has been at my local body shop for sometime now in great shape.  
I guess I will just have to settle with my '12 civic SI for now :)
And by normal wear and tear on a Honda engine you mean just getting broke-in
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top