User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 5:14:54 PM EDT
Officer Injured At Local High School
Fight Breaks Out At Briggs

POSTED: 12:09 p.m. EDT September 9, 2004
UPDATED: 5:21 p.m. EDT September 9, 2004

Story by nbc4i.com

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A Columbus police officer was injured Thursday while trying to break up a fight at a local high school, NBC 4 reported.

The officer, Jacalyn Chappelear, was trying to break up a fight at lunchtime between two students at Briggs High School on the city's southwest side, police said. Officials said the officer was knocked to the ground and was knocked unconscious.

The school said Chappelear's head was slammed against a wall or door.

"She sprayed Mace to get the people off her, and a bunch of people got sprayed with mace," student witness Matthew Grubb said.

The officer was transported to Mount Carmel West Hospital. She was listed in serious condition.

Three students were arrested: Brandan Longhenry, 15, Keith Moore, 16, and Jeramey Longhenry, 16. Brandan Longhenry and Moore were charged with resisting arreest, assault and disorderly conduct. Jeramey Longhenry was charged with misconduct at an emergency, disorderly conduct and obstructing official business.

The school said the students will attend a disciplinary hearing within 48 hours and may face expulsion.

Chappelear, 45, is a 17-year veteran and was assigned to the High School Resource Unit.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to be sexist/agist, but why do you send a 45 year old female cop solo to a situation like that?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Not to be sexist/agist, but why do you send a 45 year old female cop solo to a situation like that?

Schoool Resource Officer, most likely. Its the place to send people nearing retirement for a lot of agencies.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It's not like they did... she was merely assigned to the school for additional security work.

That being said, the bastards at Briggs are a bunch of thugs.  Plus, it's on the southwest end of town (not the nicest area).  I wouldn't go in there without full riot gear and an M4.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
WTF is "misconduct at an emergency"?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#6]
We send our useless and lazy types to the SRO program.
I have this image of a big fat ass in polyester pants jumping up and down shouting "oooh oooh break it up" instead of thumping their sorry asses.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They are just school kids.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#8]
yea good kids! need all to be like them,,yea! That longhenry what ever must be one nice family! hell I'll buy the house to next door to them!God Bless America! Good solid citizens! Need more! High Schooll sized "young adults" hell, when I was a kid(damm,,never thought I'd say thet,,for a awhile more) we were told you were an adult at 18y.o. now,,
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Ban childrend!  Do it for the children!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top