Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 11:30:28 AM EDT
The Ohio State Highway Patrol released video on Tuesday of a man being shot and killed by a trooper.

Errol Baker, also known as Tye, died Sunday at Grant Medical Center in Columbus. He was shot early Sunday morning in what started as a routine traffic stop, NBC 4 reported.

Baker was pulled over after being suspected of drunken driving, police said.

According to video that was taken from a trooper's cruiser, Trooper James Cress asked Baker to get out of the car. That's when the events of the incident come into question.

The video apparently showed Baker with a gun, NBC 4 's Amy Basista reported. The gun fell to the ground, Baker tried to pick it up and the two fell down together.

Cress and Baker continued to struggle on the ground as Cress tried to gain control of the gun, Basista reported.

Troopers said that Cress, a one-year veteran with the Wilmington post, was forced to shoot Baker, killing him.

Baker's mother said that her son's girlfriend was a passenger in the car. The mother said that she heard one shot fired. Ohio State Highway Patrol officials said that there were two shots.

The victim's family claims there was no need for deadly force from the trooper.

However, OSP officials said Baker's actions left the trooper with no other choice.

"The video is clear as to what happened," said Lt. Rick Zwayer, of the Ohio State Highway Patrol. "During that time, Mr. Baker refused a request made by our trooper -- some simple requests -- and then ... eventually assaulted our trooper, not only physically but then with a handgun. Our trooper was inevitably forced to fire upon Mr. Baker."

Cress was placed on paid leave while the investigation continues.

Watch NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com for additional information.

Previous Story:

February 19, 2006: Trooper Shoots, Kills Man During Traffic Stop
Copyright 2006 by nbc4i.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

watch the video
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#1]
w00t!  good sh00t!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#2]
had to do his job, he had just did as he was instructed, things would have been alot different
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
No contest, good shoot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I worked with Cress, the trooper in the shoot, for three years at Washington C.H. PD before he went to OSP. He is a very good officer and is in great shape.

I have talked to him since Sat. and he seems to be doing okay.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't get the video to work
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]
doesnt work
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sorry for the hijack but....
Holy Crap Dusty_C,  8000 posts in 5 months!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW! Check out Amy Basista.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
doesnt work

I don't know I still got it to work when i clicked on it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#10]
allow pop-ups to see video

that said, good shoot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Its also over at Ogerish
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#12]
The video released today seemed to dispel the Baker family belief that trooper Cress was unprovoked. Upon further search two bags of cocaine were found in Errol Baker's pocket. Baker had been previously indicted on one count of engaging in corrupt activity, 12 counts of trafficking in cocaine, one count of illegal manufacture of drugs, one count of discharging a firearm close to a home and two counts of possessing weapons as a felon.

From Ogrish.com
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:39:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I am glad that Trooper Cress is alright and that he prevailed.  Good shoot.  

My thoughts and prayers are with the Trooper and his family as they recover emotionally from this.

God Speed Trooper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:23:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Almost 40 per day.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#15]
wow that vid is insane.  It makes me think of the times I've struggled with some people on the ground and have been thankful they weren't reaching for a gun.  Pretty intense vid and as stated....good shoot
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I worked with Cress, the trooper in the shoot, for three years at Washington C.H. PD before he went to OSP. He is a very good officer and is in great shape.

I have talked to him since Sat. and he seems to be doing okay.

Since you actually know the trooper involved; can you shed any light onto his DT background?  I pssed the video along to some other DT trainers and we were wondering if he had any actual training or was he going off of pure instinct.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow...good shoot. The only unfortunate side to it all is that as it usually goes..the dirtbags family claims he was a good boy and he wouldn't hurt nobody. I am sure the dirtbags family will go civil....I hate that ..a good shoot for a good cop.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Almost 40 per day.

Better than 87 per day!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I worked with Cress in the same PD also.  The Ohio Highway Patrol is very intense training and they stress officer survival.  The unarmed self defense is the Krav Ma (sp) system.  It was developed for the Israeli self defense force.  It is basically street fighting.  they are always going back for refresher training.  James would only shoot if he had no other option and the video clearly shows that he did what he had to do.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Wow...good shoot. The only unfortunate side to it all is that as it usually goes..the dirtbags family claims he was a good boy and he wouldn't hurt nobody. I am sure the dirtbags family will go civil....I hate that ..a good shoot for a good cop.

But after a few days, even his family had gone from "they shouldn't have shot him" to "why didn't he just shoot him in the leg or arm or something."  

Glad the trooper's ok.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Good job Trooper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks good to me. Another reminder of how quickly things happen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Just had to agree with subvet1, since I work with him. James would not have shot if he did not have to.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#24]
good job.

there is a time line of the video here:  

http://www.dw.ohio.gov/ohiostatepatrol/media/2006/06-048.htm

anyone have a copy of the video that isn't tagged with ogerish.com?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#25]
It sure looked like he gave him plenty of chances to quit fighting.

I hope he don't get dragged through the mud for this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Someone should buy that trooper a beer...Good Guys won...scumbag dead. The way it should be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top