Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/17/2005 3:05:34 PM EDT
I am considering relocating to the northwest Ohio area in the next few months. I am currently a deputy with one of the largest sheriff's departments in California. Here is my question:

How willing are agencies in other states to accept a California Peace Officer Standards of Training certificate? I would assume that I would have to get some kind of law class to get up to speed on Ohio (or MI/IN) laws, but would I have to go to an academy out there? I am 32 and still in decent shape, but if I can avoid having to go through another academy, that would be nice. I would prefer to go in as a lateral and not have to go through all the academy BS.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:10:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 9:13:53 PM EDT by 5eleven]
It isn't up to the individual agency to determine whether or not they will allow California POST. It's up to the Ohio Peace Officer Training Council/Academy.

Here's a link to the Ohio POTA. Start there. There are links somewhere on there to call OPOTA in London, OH. If you need additional help, PM me.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:54:05 PM EDT
I did this about a two years ago from Colorado. It's a pain, but not imposible. The biggest problem is that OPOTA will not evaluate your prior training until you have an agency that will sponsor you. I'll try to send you some more info, and answer the question more specifically byIM or email later this weekend. OPOTA is not super helpful with this whole process, either.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:55:22 AM EDT
Sent you a more detailed email through the site, let me know if you don't get it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:56:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 7:59:18 AM EDT by LPDtactical]
Where in NW Ohio are you trying to relocate to? I am a LEO in NW Ohio. IM me if you want.

ETA: a guy I know at the SO in my county used to be a deputy for a large SO in CA. So I know it can be done. I believe he was from LA county.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:08:01 AM EDT
For MI search for MCOLES and e mail em the question. Statewide standards for LE.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:16:21 AM EDT
Taken from OPOTC's website:

Prior Equivalent Training Credit for out-of-state officers and others

* An individual who has successfully completed prior training or education in another state
or in Ohio under the auspices of other than the Commission (State Patrol, military, etc.)
and who is appointed to a peace officer position in Ohio, may request a prior equivalent
training analysis to receive credit for previous training that is similar to that required in
the Ohio Peace Officer Basic Training course. The enclosed Request for Prior
Equivalent Training Analysis form and BCI&I and FBI civilian identification fingerprint
cards should be completed and submitted for the officer.

* The analysis is a process by which the topics and hours of the officer's previous training
are compared to the required peace officer basic training curriculum in Ohio. Where
training is deemed similar, the officer will be given credit. Where training is deemed
dissimilar or found to not be included in the original training, the topics will be assigned.
The number of hours of training assigned is usually between 225 and 300.

* After the officer has attended the required training in an approved basic training school, he
or she will be cleared to take the state certification examination. Upon successfully
passing the examination, the officer will be issued a certificate of completion of basic

* Please note that the officer shall not perform the functions of a peace officer or carry a
firearm until he or she has received a certificate of completion of basic training from the
Commission office.
Top Top