Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 1:36:12 PM EDT

Just read this off drudge about the muslim boycott of Denmark
"Islamic tradition bars any depiction of the prophet, even respectful ones, out of concern that such images could lead to idolatry."

What the hell do these people think they are doing by all this furor over the image of muhhhhammmeeedd...

Idiots.

BTW, not a dupe, I know the other thread about the boycott, I am referring to the quote above and how stupid these people are.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't get it. Somewhere a muslim is mad because someone in Denmark is drawing pics of Muhammed?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a muslim in my class explain it like this:

"It would be like if I walked up to a statue of Jesus and started throwing shit at it. You just don't do it, even if you don't believe in the religion."

Myself, I don't care.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]

The issue with idolatry is (as I understand it) the reason why there is a lot of geometric art from traditional Muslim countries.  No people, just geometric figures, repeating designs, etc.

It's really beautiful art, too.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

"It would be like if I walked up to a statue of Jesus and started throwing shit at it. You just don't do it, even if you don't believe in the religion."

Myself, I don't care.

I don't know. I seem to remember you can get an NEA grant and have the US govt. pay you to dip crucifixes in urine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#5]
A muslim, unhappy with western society ???

Are you pulling my leg?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Myself, I don't care.

I don't know. I seem to remember you can get an NEA grant and have the US govt. pay you to dip crucifixes in urine.

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Myself, I don't care.

Except that someone would actually have to throw sh*t at a statue of Jesus, whereas merely drawing Mohammed in any form is "offensive".

It should also be noted that Christian religious symbols are insulted REGULARLY, and are often insulted AT TAXPAYER EXPENSE. But the Christians don't go yelling for the UN to shut anybody down because of it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yup.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The issue with idolatry is (as I understand it) the reason why there is a lot of geometric art from traditional Muslim countries.  No people, just geometric figures, repeating designs, etc.

It's really beautiful art, too.

Jim

This is true, even depictions of people are not supposed to occur, like photos and paintings.  It is seen as vanity too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Myself, I don't care.

No one threw shit on a statue of Mohommed. So I don't see the comparison.

And I, too, could care less.

The muslims don't want hot dogs, pig parts, and wooden shoes. Too bad.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#11]
If someone was throwing shit at a statue of Jesus I wouldn’t get too upset about it. It’s just a statue and the real Jesus had far worse done to him in life. Besides, I figure the person doing it will have to answer to God someday anyway.

I wouldn’t exactly want to associate with someone who did this. I might even go so far as to use my Freedom of Speech to tell the feces flinger exactly what I thought of him.

But I wouldn’t resort to violence and I definitely wouldn’t hold it against the country the shit thrower was from.

But whatever silly crap the Moslems believe ain’t my concern. There’s a lot of offensive stuff in the world. They will either have to learn to deal with it or stay isolated and backwards.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Someone throwing shit at a statue of Jesus? Big whoop. It's just a statue. We don't even know what the guy looks like. The statue is just a tribute to the greatest man who ever lived; if you desecrate it, you've just desecrated an inanimate object. Big frickin' deal. It's just a thing.

And you'll have some 'splainin' to do when you finally buy the farm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top