Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2002 8:12:39 PM EDT
So I got a an Email from a friend titled, 2001 Darwin Awards.  So before it has a chance to download from the server I open it, it flashes what looks like a download prompt for a file, then nothing.  So I close it and open it again it does the same thing.  So I am thinking in the back of my mind... virus but, I did not open the attatchment - it opened automatically!!  How did this do it?  So 2 minutes later I get an Email from myself also I get two auto responses from AR15.com mail server that I have a virus.  Here it is: The Declude Virus software on ar15.com has reported that you sent
a virus with the subject "Re:" to:
[email protected].

The E-mail containing the virus has been quarantined to
prevent further damage and the recipient has been notified
of your action!

Please make sure to purchase and install a good quality
anti-virus application and USE IT!

Virus Name: : W32/Badtrans.B@mm
Attachment: news_doc.DOC.scr

Since I have been typing this the SHTF I am getting reports from all over the net.  I don't have virus protection on this new laptop.  This doesn't look good!

Enrico Piaggio launches the Vespa scooter in Italy. Louis Reard introduces the bikini swimsuit in Paris, modelled by Micheline Bernardini. Proctor & Gamble launches Tide. Cannes Film Festival is launched. The Electronic Numerial Integrator and Calculator (ENIAC) at the University of Pennsylvania, with 18,000 electronic valves, performs 5,000 additions or subtractions per second. The world's first nuclear reactor is opened in the USSR.

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#2]
1gr, url below will take you to a page with removal instructions.  Follow them & you should be good to go.

[url]http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected][/url]

Before you get that laptop back on the internet, spend the 30-40 bucks for a copy of an anti-virus program.  I work with both McAfee and Norton, I recommend Norton.

When that's done, go to zone labs [url]www.zonelabs.com[/url] and download and install the free verson of Zone Alarm.  I firewall can't hurt, and is a NECESSITY if you're going online with a broadband (cable modem, dsl, or satellite) system.  If you don't have or want to spend the $$ for a hardware firewall, Zone Alarm does a good job.

Finally, if you're using Outlook or Outlook Express, consider going to Eudora [url]www.eudora.com[/url] for your email program.  You'll lose a lot of the security bugs that Outlook and OE come with.

--edited to add firewall & email stuff---

email me if you need more or run into a snag.

hanko
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]
OK I got my shot of penicillin and am all better now.  I have Norton on my other 4 machines but, just got this one the other day.  Now how the hell did it happen?!?!  All I did was open the Email not the attatchment.  Where did it get the address'?  I have no address book on this machine and it sent Emails to people I have never sent Emails to?!?!

Edwin H Land invents the Polaroid instant camera, which prints black-and-white photos in 60 seconds. First solid-body electric guitar is built by Les Paul. AT&T invents cell phone (became commercial only 1983). Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier in the Bell X-1 rocket plane. The Edinburgh Festival is launched. Mikhail Kalashnikov invents the AK-47. The Dead Sea Scrolls are discovered by a Bedouin shepherd in Jordan - dating from the 1st century, they are in Aramaic, the language of Jesus, and Hebrew. The 400 scrolls contain fragments of every book of the Hebrew Bible except Esther.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OK I got my shot of penicillin and am all better now.  I have Norton on my other 4 machines but, just got this one the other day.  Now how the hell did it happen?!?!  All I did was open the Email not the attatchment.  Where did it get the address'?  I have no address book on this machine and it sent Emails to people I have never sent Emails to?!?!

[url]http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected][/url]
will tell you how it works.  It has a pre-coded list of "to" and "from" addresses, so it doesn't really care if you have an address book on your machine or not.

hanko

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top