Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:29:32 AM EDT
Remember how when you were in grade school the teachers would always ask you to write some stupid essay about "My most embarrassing moment?"   It took me until my adult years befor I finally came up with a decent story.  Read it and share yours, if you like.

It happened years ago when I was on national TV on a game show called Split Second. It was one of those shows where three people compete to see who can buzz in the fastest and answer the question. It was a tight game.

As we came into the final round, I was third in the standings, which meant that I had to answer three questions to have a shot at winning a new car. The guy in second place had to answer two questions, and the leader only had to answer one.

The competition and the prospect of a new car got my adrenalin pumping and I was determined that nobody was going to beat me to the buzzer in the challenge round.

The first question came. I was first on the buzzer and nailed it.

The second question came. Again, I was first on the buzzer and nailed it. At this point, it was a dead heat between me and the leader. One question would decide everything. My wife and family were in the studio audience on the edge of their seats.

Then the third question came.

Once again, I jumped on the buzzer and was first in. My reflexes were like greased lightning. The question was: What is the astrological sign for Gary Cooper's birthday (May 7)?

I have to confess I have no real interest in astrology and, with only a second to think, I said "Sagittarius".  Wrong!  I blew the question, and the chance at the car. The number one guy buzzed in after me, gave the right answer and went on to take his chance at the car.

Now, you say, what is so embarrassing about missing a question about astrology on a national game show (and losing a shot at a new car in the process)?  

May 7 is my wife's birthday.  It has been almost thirty years and I still hear about that goddamn game show today.

Can anyone top that?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#1]
No, I always forget your wife's birthday too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#3]
How'n the hell would you know when Gary Coopers birthday was?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They gave the date. They just mentioned it as Gary Cooper's birthday for effect.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Who in  the hell is Gary Cooper anyway? Hey, at least you were lucky enough to have an experience like that. Hopefully, they don't replay it, every now and then, to reopen the wound.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Nothing as bad as that. That's a pretty darned god one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Who in  the hell is Gary Cooper anyway? Hey, at least you were lucky enough to have an experience like that. Hopefully, they don't replay it, every now and then, to reopen the wound.

My wife does. Her mother, too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You're kidding right?

Sergeant York

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#9]
It could have been worse you could have been on the Jenny Jones' show with some fag who has a crush on you.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#10]
[Mrs. Shields] This is the theme I have been waiting for Wolfman97 an A + + + + + + + [Mrs. Shields]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#12]
The first time I slept with a woman, she told me she was too hot. (She was still clothed.) I asked her if she wanted me to turn down the radiator. I still hear about it from her to this day.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Who in  the hell is Gary Cooper anyway?

If you're blue and you don't know
where to go to why don't you go
where fashion sits
Puttin' on the Ritz
Different types who wear a day
coat pants with stripes and cutaway
coat perfect fits
Puttin' on the Ritz
Dressed up like a million-dollar trooper
Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper (super duper)
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
Puttin' on the Ritz

Apparently, Gary Cooper puts on the ritz.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

http://www.toefl.org
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who in  the hell is Gary Cooper anyway?

If you're blue and you don't know
where to go to why don't you go
where fashion sits
Puttin' on the Ritz
Different types who wear a day
coat pants with stripes and cutaway
coat perfect fits
Puttin' on the Ritz
Dressed up like a million-dollar trooper
Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper (super duper)
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
Puttin' on the Ritz

Apparently, Gary Cooper puts on the ritz.

No, he's the guy who invented DUPE! threads on ARFcom.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought Gary Cooper was the kid from Different Strokes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It could have been worse you could have been on the Jenny Jones' show with some fag who has a crush on you.

Is this one of those 'I have this friend, no really, it wasn't me' stories?

No the fag ended up dead and the guy is in jail.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sgt York

Now turn in your man card.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top