Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/22/2003 6:47:24 AM EDT
Story

A burglary scene played out in Laura Lee Nicholas' mind for a few moments as she hid under her blanket Wednesday morning.

First, just before 8 a.m., she heard a couple of taps on the big window of her bedroom, which is on the ground level of her parents' Crookston home.

Then, silence.

"All of a sudden, I heard this really bad crash," she said. "I thought it was a burglar."

Noise coming from her dresser followed, as she, still under the blanket, pictured the burglar taking everything out of the dresser.

Then, silence again.

This time, Nicholas peeked, at the same time reaching for her cell phone on the night stand to call her mother upstairs she thought the burglar had left the room to go upstairs.

There, standing in her bedroom was a deer, gazing at her.

Nicholas' clothes and decorations were scattered on the floor. The deer had bled and urinated on much of it. Broken glass was all over the place, and her computer was damaged.

Outside, a dog scratched the window shade through the broken window and tried to jump in.

Nicholas called upstairs to her mother, Denise, asking for help from her father, Nick. But he had gone to work. So, Denise called a neighbor and then 911.

Two Crookston police officers arrived and guided the deer out the window of the house, which is located on Golf Terrace Drive near Minakwa Country Club.

"We used our dog-catching poll and put it back out the window," said officer Dacian Bienek. The deer was about a year old, and it was put in the care of the local humane society.

"It looked visually OK," Bienek said. "(But) it was stunned."

No one was hurt in the incident. And Denise Nicholas said she felt lucky for her daughter.

Laura Lee, 21, is preparing for her wedding in May, and the room had been filled with wedding flowers and other decorations until a week ago, when she put everything in storage. A wedding dress, designed by herself and another artist, had been hanging in the room until 1:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Nicholas, a student at the University of Minnesota- Crookston, didn't go to bed until 3:30 a.m. because she was studying for a test. Until a month ago, her bed had been under the window. She only moved it to paint the room.

"She would have been trampled by (the deer)," Denise said. "Everything worked out. She didn't get hurt; the wedding dress got saved."

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:50:40 AM EDT
Just another case of "should have had a firearm for protection". Hell, I would have settled for a baseball bat in this instance. With that much mess already, what's a few bloodstains gonna hurt? mmmmmmmmm, venison...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:51:09 AM EDT
Deer scaring sheep!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:58:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2003 6:58:25 AM EDT by DzlBenz]

Originally Posted By Dredd308:
Story
"We used our dog-catching poll and put it back out the window," said officer Dacian Bienek. The deer was about a year old, and it was put in the care of the local humane society.

New use for a poll. Explains the look in the eyes of many at ARFCOM when faced with a poll on GD - deer in the headlights.

Homer: D'oh!
Marge: A deer!
Lisa: A female deer!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:00:56 AM EDT
Through most of the article I thought the girl was 10 years old

And then it said she was 21.............
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:02:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
Homer: D'oh!
Marge: A deer!
Lisa: A female deer!

One of the best episodes EVER!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:18:14 AM EDT
What a maroon. Should hang a sign around her neck with "VICTIM" in bold letters.
Stays under the blanket during the first round of crashes, then decides to eventually take a peek.
Burglar!!! What a sheltered little twat.
I wouldn't worry about the things in your dresser, honey.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:18:36 AM EDT
I saw that on the news.. The deer made one hell of a mess of her room.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:54:48 AM EDT
I think we all started to understand the old "head under the covers" trick afforded no protection against the boogie man when we were about 4 years old.
On the other hand I didn't become 357 magnum aware until I was 10.
Top Top