Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2005 6:57:13 PM EDT
Schumer Scores Zero On Protecting Privacy; Senator Grills Roberts on Right to Privacy, Should Have Looked in Mirror First

9/23/2005 3:05:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: National Desk

Contact: George Cecala, 703-405-9394 (cell), Stefani Stone Williams, 202-544-6554, Website: http://www.themayflowercompact.org

WASHINGTON, Sept. 23 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The Mayflower Compact Coalition, an alliance of black leaders and patriotic Americans seeking to strengthen the health and well-being of black America, is outraged by New York Senator Chuck Schumer’s Democratic Senate Campaign Committee’s idea that opposition research should involve fraudulently obtaining a rival candidate’s credit report, violating an individual’s right to privacy.

"Where’s the right to privacy in this case, Senator,” exclaimed Phyllis Berry Myers, co-founder of the Mayflower Compact Coalition. "We just sat through a week of hearings in which Democrat Senators like Schumer assailed Judge John Roberts on the issue of privacy and all the while the DSCC under Schumer’s leadership was violating this very right. What hypocrisy!”

Maryland Lt. Governor Michael Steele, a possible candidate for US Senate, learned from the FBI that the Democrat Senate Campaign Committee lifted his social security number and fraudulently obtained his credit report. Coalition Member and civil rights activist, Niger Innis reacted, "We find the DSCC’s actions troubling and disappointing.

I don’t think it is mere coincidence that the DSCC targeted the highest ranking, statewide black Republican elected official. Is illegally obtaining potential candidates’ credit reports standard DSCC operating procedure? American citizens need to know.”

"I’m neither a Democrat nor a Republican. I’m an Independent,” commented Reverend Anthony Williams, pastor of Chicago’s St. Stephen’s Evangelical Lutheran Church. "But you all know if the RNC or any other Republican organization had done this, all kind of invective would be hurled. The Republicans would be accused of ‘dirty tricks;’ called ‘racist’ and everything else but a child of God. By the way, where is the outrage from the Congressional Black Caucus? We want to discuss this matter with them.”

"I’m an attorney and former senior counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee,” noted Cherylyn Harley LeBon. "Senator Schumer needs to take responsibility and be held accountable for the actions of his subordinates. If there is nothing to hide, Senator Schumer also should release to The Baltimore Sun, The Washington Post and The New York Times all emails and correspondence relating to the Steele matter. The voters of Maryland and the rest of us have a right to know what happened here. Refusing to do so would only serve to feed voters’ growing cynicism and continue to erode confidence in the openness and fairness of our electoral processes.”

"There is enough fear about identity theft and government invasion of our privacy without the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee engaging in such activity,” said Virginia Walden Ford, president of People of Color United and DC Parents for School Choice. "Our Senators should assist in protecting and guaranteeing our right to privacy, not condoning such gross violations. I’m disappointed Senator Schumer hasn’t publicly apologized to Lt. Governor Steele. We’re waiting for your apology, Senator Schumer.”

The Mayflower Compact Coalition was founded by Vivian Berryhill, Oliver N.E. Kellman Jr. and Phyllis Berry Myers with the goal of strengthening the health and well-being of black America. For more information about the Mayflower Compact Coalition or the 21st Century Mayflower Compact, please visit http://www.themayflowercompact.org.

http://www.usnewswire.com/

-0-

/© 2005 U.S. Newswire 202-347-2770
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but the Mayflower Compact Coalition isn't a "real" black advocacy group...

BTW, don't hold your breath waiting for the NAACP to jump on this issue -
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes, but the Mayflower Compact Coalition isn't a "real" black advocacy group...

BTW, don't hold your breath waiting for the NAACP to jump on this issue -

3 posts, 2 responses. what does that say about me?

bd
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck chuck Scummer!

Anyone else check that CCW holding prick with a smile on his face shooting an "Evil Assault Weapon?"

Yet there is NO reason for us peasants to own them.

Its about time these two faced congresscritters get called on their actions!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Schumer is a  creep. glad to see this happen.  I must say I am surprised, but nonethelesless glad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top