Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 5:13:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 5:13:25 AM EST by Nexus6]
Who gives a shit?

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6016893/

U.N. chief also says violence could prevent January vote
Updated: 6:14 a.m. ET Sept. 16, 2004

UNITED NATIONS - U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan questioned on Wednesday whether Iraq could hold elections in January if violence persisted and said the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq was illegal because it violated the U.N. Charter.

advertisement
Click Here!
Annan, in an interview with the BBC, said the 15-member Security Council should have approved the invasion of Iraq in mid-March 2003.

Questioned repeatedly whether he considered the war illegal, Annan said, “Yes, if you wish. I have indicated it was not in conformity with the U.N. Charter from our point of view, from the chapter point of view, it was illegal.”

“I hope we don’t see another Iraq-type operation for a long time ... without U.N. approval and much broader support from the international community,” Annan added.

Annan made a similar comment on March 10, 2003 during a news conference in The Hague, Netherlands, shortly before the invasion. He said that if the United States took military action without Security Council approval “it would not be in conformity with the Charter.”

The United States and Britain withdrew a draft resolution in the council in mid-March after it was clear there were not enough votes. France had threatened to veto if U.N. inspectors were not given more time to account for Saddam Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction.

Annan questions feasibility of January vote
The secretary-general, in a report to the council last week, said the persistent violence in Iraq would make it difficult to hold elections as planned in January. The United Nations has advised Iraqi officials on the polls.

In the BBC interview, Annan was blunter. “You cannot have credible elections if the security conditions continue as they are now,” he said.

Annan said a judgment will have to be made by the Iraqi government. But “obviously there may come a time when we have to make our own independent assessment,” he said.

On Thursday, Australian Prime Minister John Howard rejected Annan’s criticism.

Australia, a staunch U.S. ally, was one of the first nations to join the war on Iraq, with Howard committing 2,000 military personnel in March last year.

“The legal advice that we had, and I tabled it at the time, was that the action was entirely valid in international law terms,” Howard told Australian radio during campaigning for an Oct. 9 election in which the Iraq war is a major issue.

Howard said he still stood by advice he presented, or tabled, in parliament last year backing the case for war.

“That was a legal opinion we obtained from the relevant people in Australia. There had been a series of (U.N.) Security Council resolutions and the advice we had was that it was entirely legal,” he said.

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:15:35 AM EST
F- Kooky Anon, F- the UN, F- the liberal press.

Those bottom feeding third worlders would be all over like starving rats on a fatted calf if they could.

Oh yeah, F France and Germany too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:21:07 AM EST
The same UN that supported sanctions against Iraq or was that the UN that skimmed money off the oil for food program?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:21:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:22:58 AM EST
dupe.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:23:45 AM EST
Do puppets really talk? I knew it was pretend when I was a kid but this is absurd.........
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:30:54 AM EST
Wait, so now the US is beholden to the laws of the UN? Since when dumbass!

Thank you but we have a pretty good reputation for figuring out how best to protect ourselves. We don't need no stinking help from cry baby surrender monkeys.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:32:23 AM EST
When you have the muscle you make the rules.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:32:43 AM EST
Let me see if I care what Kookie thinks........................................................................................................Nope.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:34:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 5:35:07 AM EST by joker581]
Fuck Kofi Annan and the UN. There are a number of issues throughout the world that they should be attending to. We should put them out of our country.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:34:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By quijanos:
Do puppets really talk? I knew it was pretend when I was a kid but this is absurd.........

Kofi Anon doesn't talk. Someone else is talking, and twisting the stick they have shoved up Kofi's ass to make his lips move!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:26:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 6:27:45 AM EST by bub75]
And when, exactly, did anyone say that we had to listen to the UfuckinN? Besides, what's Coffeecup Anan, or howeverthehell you spell it, gonna do about it? Get together a force of "Peacekeepers" and try and arrest the USMC? I'd LOVE to see that! The French "Peacekeepers" won't be able to surrender fast enough!

Bub
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:21:41 AM EST
I was reaching into my, "Do I give a fuck bag" and came up empty.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:26:07 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:32:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:43:29 AM EST
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

I thought we were the U.N. anyway??
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:58:51 AM EST
maybe Kofi can get on the case of prosecuting the US for the illegal war, once his own trial for accepting bribe oil for food money is complete.
Top Top