Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2005 8:54:00 AM EDT
Comments? Questions? Running narration? This is the place...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I am absolutley speechless.  

Unless I am missing another thread discussing this, this really shows the total lack of understanding and interest the average member here has in his/her government.  No discussion generated about the confirmation process of the next Supreme Court CHIEF JUSTICE??!!?  This man is likely to lead the court for the next 30+ years and nothing?  For better or worse, he is going to change this country.

What a bunch of freaking dumbasses!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I was at work when his hearing was going on but I really wonder why the fuck Bush nominated this guy for Chief Justice when, IMHO, he should have promoted Scalia or Thomas to the post.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:34:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:44:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was at work when his hearing was going on but I really wonder why the fuck Bush nominated this guy for Chief Justice when, IMHO, he should have promoted Scalia or Thomas to the post.

A_G,

Doing that would have required another Seante confirmation hearing and vote.  While I agree with you, Bush is trying to get things moving.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quick summary:

1) Senators Biden and Kennedy are doing a great job raising money for the Republicans.

2)Arlen Specter is starring in his own RINO confirmation process.

3)Any senator who votes against Roberts does so only to spite President Bush.

All for now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Roberts is a "Gimme".

The death of the chief justice changed the dim's outlook on him because he'll just be (With confirmation) replacing a conservative with another conservative.  WAAAY different than had he been replacing ol' "Sandra".

The "On-Deck" nominee is gonna give us the fireworks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:59:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I understand that he can't answer questions regarding cases that may come before him as a jurist later on........but part of me just wishes he would say that Roe v Wade was a flawed decision and that the right to an abortion is not guaranteed by the Constitution.  The Democrats couldn't filibuster because he would have then answered their questions and he would get confirmed anyway
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:01:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I watched yesterday...and am truly convinced all Dem's are stupid,  whinny,  cry baby sons-of-bitches and Judge Roberts is one smooth M-Fer.  He pwned that ass and the Dem's were pissed

Judge Roberts has arrived at the hearings  Let the azz-kicking begin
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:11:24 AM EDT
[#12]
The one thing I can say about him so far is that he is an extremely intelligent and very well spoken individual. I agree, just one tenth of Roberts' brain contains more intelligence than the whole committee.  The man is amazing to watch. He can speak for what seems like hours without ever pausing, hesistating or even offering up the occasional "uhhhhh".

I still don't know where he stands on all the issues, but I think in the end he'll make a very good justice and he'll use The Constitution as his guide, taking it for just what it says.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#13]
One of those Senators had him backpedalling!
Talking about if Congress has the authority to stop war. Roberts fumbled and avoided the issue multiple times.

I'm pretty much tired of the whole Bush Administration.
Not that the other choices would have been even close to better.

Fuckin politics.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't see the hearing listed as one of the live streams on C-Span's website. Is there a live stream somewhere for those of us at work, so that we can listen? If so, please post the link. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#15]
He's not playing into their tricks.

Just a good old Indiana boy.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Roberts is smarter than the entire Judiciary Committee. He is reminding them of that in a very subtle way by not having the first notepad, pen / pencil or any written notes.

No kidding.   He is highly intelligent and comes across as very conservative.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Talking about if Congress has the authority to stop war. Roberts fumbled and avoided the issue multiple times.

Fuckin politics.

That was during Sen. Leahy's questioning on the War Powers Act.  Leahy trying to make parallels with Vietnam and our current War in Iraq/War on Terror.  Boasting how Congress got us out of that war by cutting off funds to the troops(and his was a deciding vote),  That's somthing to be proud of .  I like the way Roberts refused to answer due to it could be a case to come up in the near future.  Again...another home run

eta Sp
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:02:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The one thing I can say about him so far is that he is an extremely intelligent and very well spoken individual. I agree, just one tenth of Roberts' brain contains more intelligence than the whole committee.  The man is amazing to watch. He can speak for what seems like hours without ever pausing, hesistating or even offering up the occasional "uhhhhh".

I still don't know where he stands on all the issues, but I think in the end he'll make a very good justice and he'll use The Constitution as his guide, taking it for just what it says.

+1  That's what I saw also.  he's not giving them anything to miss   interpret or spin...And there was plenty of that.  And he did it all while being VERY polite and respectful  

Roberts seems to be a strict Constitutionalist...another big +1

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuckin politics.

That was during Sen. Leahy's questioning on the War Powers Act.  Leahy trying to make paraells with Vietnam and our current War in Iraq/War on Terror.  Boasting how Congress got us out of that war by cutting off funds to the troops(and his was a deciding vote),  That's somthing to be proud of .  I like the way Roberts refused to answer due to it could be a case to come up in the near future.  Again...another home run

Congress should be able to stop a war.
Or to put it more simply, someone needs to be able to rein in our War hungry President.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Fuckin politics.

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Aparently none of the esteemed democrat members of the committee felt that Judge Roberts was worthy of their presence this morning.

Specter should simply call for the vote immediately and hold it without them present, entering their votes as "Aye". Let them bitch and screech. The response would be, "Then show up for work on time like everyone else in America is expected to!"

Yeah, I know........ Wishful thinking.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:17:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Unless I am missing another thread discussing this, this really shows the total lack of understanding and interest the average member here has in his/her government.  No discussion generated about the confirmation process of the next Supreme Court CHIEF JUSTICE??!!?  This man is likely to lead the court for the next 30+ years and nothing?  For better or worse, he is going to change this country.

And just how is our discussion here going to change the outcome, Oh Great Pompous Civic Leader?

Maybe people are too busy WATCHING or WORKING to waste their time on a done deal that's nothing more than a political freak show for the left?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been watching since the begining and must say that I always thought that I had a good vocabulary and command of the language but damn this guy is really something else. I've never heard anyone speak so well .

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Or to put it more simply, someone needs to be able to rein in our War hungry President.

Yep, and a weak-kneed, pacifist, leftist Congress is JUST the answer!

What we need to do is fight wars like we mean it so we can WIN QUICKLY and get it over with!

"War hungry". Yeah.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:20:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Perhaps it demonstrates that despite your towering intellect and obviously superior insight and patriotism, people recognize that neither your comments nor anyone else's will add significantly to their understanding of a public proceeding conducted in conversational English. Or perhaps the apparent lack of interest was a conspiracy designed to get you to out yourself as a pompous, condescending douchebag. If it was such a conspiracy, it was wildly successful.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Too complicated a subject for the usual imbeciles on this site. They are busy screaming that the NRA sucks.  

Ah yes, the NRA -- an cult organization that pretends it can do no wrong, and somehow gets their followers members to believe it.  Not than any of the other pro-gun organizations have any better of a track record.  But that's for a different thread.

I listened to part of it.  Seems like a decent enough choice, and certainly better than anyone the democrat's would have picked.

Still tired of Bush, his war-mongering, illegal-immigrant loving administration, and the far-right extremists that provide unwavering support.  But he's still better than Gore or Kerry would have been.  

"Marvin the Martian" in '08!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Roberts is smarter than the entire Judiciary Committee. He is reminding them of that in a very subtle way by not having the first notepad, pen / pencil or any written notes. I don't know what his politics really are, but so far he is driving the Dems crazy and giving them nothing.

Bingo.  No one in thier right mind can doubt the intelligence of this man.  I watched this morning as he and Brownstone (or Brownback, or Brownbacker?) went round on Kelo vs New London.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Has DUh suffered another containment breach this morning?

"Warmongering"?

"Illegal-Alien-Loving" is spot-on, though, sad to say....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuckin politics.

That was during Sen. Leahy's questioning on the War Powers Act.  Leahy trying to make paraells with Vietnam and our current War in Iraq/War on Terror.  Boasting how Congress got us out of that war by cutting off funds to the troops(and his was a deciding vote),  That's somthing to be proud of .  I like the way Roberts refused to answer due to it could be a case to come up in the near future.  Again...another home run

I agree that someone needs to keep a reign on the WPA.
Are you referring to President Bush or Johnson???  If I remember correctly Johnson(D) would not allow our troops to win in Vietnam (no-fly zones, not allowing the military to attack N.V...hmmm)  And of course when Nixon(R) was elected and ordered the all out bombing of N. Vietnam the Congress(run by Dems) turns yellow and stops funding.  I believe if we as a nation commits troops a conflict we WIN.  Right or wrong we finish the job.  If we remember one thing 'The Victor writes the History'. ie...North vs South.

As far as Pres. Bush is concerned I don't see where he has overstepped his bounds as we were attacked!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Fuckin politics.

The taped portion I heard sounded like he did a great job answering those questions.  That was on Rush, maybe I didn't hear the portion youre referring to?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#31]
How dare that Teddy ( The Swimmer ) Kennedy question ANYONE about ethics?????
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
How dare that Teddy ( The Swimmer ) Kennedy question ANYONE about ethics?????

This is sad
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#33]
I didn't get to see much of it, but he sounds like he knows what he's doing. Very well spoken.

Did anybody else see the woman behind him fall asleep yesterday during the hearing?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd look like this too if I had to speek to Teddy.

[ LINK ]

Did anybody else see the woman behind him fall asleep yesterday during the hearing?

That was Robert's wife.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, and a weak-kneed, pacifist, leftist Congress is JUST the answer!

What we need to do is fight wars like we mean it so we can WIN QUICKLY and get it over with!

"War hungry". Yeah.

Ok, maybe not war hungry.
How about monkey brained buffoon? Thats probably more accurate.
You could tack on a few other choices words as well.
But not war hungry. War, in this case, is needed. Too bad hes fucked it up in every other possible way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
understanding of a public proceeding conducted in conversational English

As if you would even know what that is you stupid dumbfuck
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boy...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps it demonstrates that despite your towering intellect and obviously superior insight and patriotism, people recognize that neither your comments nor anyone else's will add significantly to their understanding of a public proceeding conducted in conversational English. Or perhaps the apparent lack of interest was a conspiracy designed to get you to out yourself as a pompous, condescending douchebag. If it was such a conspiracy, it was wildly successful.

<--runs to get a bucket of water and a tube of Aloe - somebody just got burned!
Moving on,

I was fortunate enough to catch 30 minutes or so this morning.

First, there was 10 minutes of waiting for orrin Hatch to 'get to the point'.

The came Uncle Ted.

Whew!

That guy needs a drink.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#39]
These hearings are pretty funny. All the senators think that they are smarter than the judges. I remember the Robert Bork pigfuck hearings. That idiot Howard Metzenbaum from Ohio was questioning Bork and Bork had to hide his urge to laugh because Metzenbaum didn't understand the legal principles he was asking about.

Roberts is a winner. He will sail through confirmation and all the liberal Democratic assholes (sorry for the redundency) that vote against him "on principle" will look like the morons they are.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh boy...

Be right back with the popcorn!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#41]
    I have watched parts of the hearing and agree that he seems intelligent and knowledgeable about the law.  That said, I have problems with him as a nomination as he doesn't have a record of voting on a range of subjects that I can look at and agree with or disagree with.  From what I watched 90% of his answers will basically be that he can not answer that question.  The other 10% will be so broad as to encompass all viewpoints.  
    I believe that I saw him state that he believes in following what the constitutional framers wanted based on the common use of the language of the time and that he didn't believe they should "make" law on the supreme court.
    Things that I am interested in knowing:
1.  Constitution- living vs dead document including stances on the bill of rights (all amendments) and other items(to include but not limitede to)....
  A.  Private property- the whole shameful judging on eminent domain.
  B.  2nd Amendment
  C.  Police powers of search and seizure, Patriot Act, etc
2.  Whether he believes citizens come first or The Govt. does.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Well, ya got me with that one.  I am humbled in your presence.

Sorry, I was thinking about something I really care about.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Oooohhh...feinswine is now questioning Roberts!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Yesterdays questioning of Roberts by Chuck Schumer was quite interesting.  Schumer discussed at some length the importance of the interstate commerce clause for the federal government.  Schumer pretty much stated that most of the laws passed by the legislative branch obtained their authority based on the current interpretation of the ICC.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Do the research please.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#47]
OK, Russ Feingold just said he believes that the 2nd A is an individual right - the world is spinning...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Ooohh, mr. post 160 thinks we are all a bunch of dumbasses.  Gee bub, most of us have jobs that we are at while this is going on.  You ever heard of that...........a job?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
OK, Russ Feingold just said he believes that the 2nd A is an individual right - the world is spinning...

He SAYS that. Weather or not he actually believes that is still a question.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#50]

It is a circus for  the party faithful.  The Dims have to rattle their liberal saber so come re-election time they can proclaim they stood in the gap between the god-less, sandal-wearing, pot smoking, gummit check cashing, feminazi luvin, homo huggin', DU postin', Volvo drivin' liberals and Bush.

The deals on the confirmations are made behind closed doors and not on C-Span.

Enjoy the show.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top