Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Posted: 2/9/2017 9:04:27 PM EDT
Hey could we have a blacksmithing forum? I spend a fair amount of time on Bladeforums.com, but Arf feels more like home.
Anyone else interested?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
yes please.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I support this
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Do it.  Always looking for more things to spend money on...
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
+87!
I could really get behind this. I know we have some awesome talent here.
Hessian-1(who's been known to "strike while the iron's hot" from time to time.)
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be interested.  I am just starting and need a better forge but it's fun to pound on hot steel.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
+1.....
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a fellow named Sid that lives about 5 hours from me. He is considered the authority on trip hammers.
We had a long talk today and I think I'm going to go all in and buy one of his completely reworked Little Giants.
Everything I've heard and read is that his machines are better than when they originally left the factory.
He's a real interesting gentleman in his 80s that does it for the love. I've been collecting anvils for
quite a while and have a real draw to bladesmithing. Forged in Fire has cost me a ton of money, but
ther is something really cool about making something from scratch. Call me crazy, but I'm hooked.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd be in for a blacksmith section. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, a lot of interest here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would be interested.  I am just starting and need a better forge but it's fun to pound on hot steel.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/15994632_1218032464942193_6793495481718054196_o.jpg?oh=78d5c30ff03e3bd1328efdf553a5146e&oe=590D7263
View Quote

Did you make that hawk? It's real damn cool!
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks!  It's far from perfect but it was good practice and a lot of fun to make.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I might check in from  time to time.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in to get some learnin'.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks!  It's far from perfect but it was good practice and a lot of fun to make.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was perfect it wouldn't be as cool.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I am interested.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Start with the folx in this thred:

Home-Blacksmiths---Some-Questions-and-Shop-Set-Up
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I would love to see way more blacksmithing discussions, but why not just talk about it here instead of separating off into another small subsection a handful of people will go too? I wish they would close down 90% of the subsections and just talk about it all here in one place. GD or Team depending on the topic.

Again, I love seeing people making neat stuff like that, just don't want to go "somewhere else"
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
.... I think I'm going to go all in and buy one of his completely reworked Little Giants.....
View Quote

Now you've done it.  I'll be hanging out at your place much more.

I concur with OP's request.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#19]
A blacksmithing forum section would be cool, however as a jeweler by day (blacksmith by night) I would like to open it to all forms of metalworking
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would love to see way more blacksmithing discussions, but why not just talk about it here instead of separating off into another small subsection a handful of people will go too? I wish they would close down 90% of the subsections and just talk about it all here in one place. GD or Team depending on the topic.

Again, I love seeing people making neat stuff like that, just don't want to go "somewhere else"
View Quote

Because subjects drop off in under 5 minutes from GD. Great threads get lost then repeated. No continuity ever gets built, and the group of trolls that shit post in every GD thread are sure to show up. That's why we've been fighting for months to get a Wine/beer/spirits forum.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I would like to file a motion for the general populace to change the title request from "Blacksmith" subforum to a "metalworking" forum.

To include machining, gunsmithing, blademaking, pattern making and foundry work.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hey could we have a blacksmithing forum? I spend a fair amount of time on Bladeforums.com, but Arf feels more like home.
Anyone else interested?
View Quote

Hell yes!
ETA- What's the best fuel for a track home garage forge? Propane or coal?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Hell yeah but I agree with pony.

But stickies for material, tooling, deals and how-to's would be well worth it.

Put it right under gd so it will get more traffic
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A blacksmithing forum section would be cool, however as a jeweler by day (blacksmith by night) I would like to open it to all forms of metalworking
View Quote

Yea all metalworking would be very cool.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then all those stickies would limit the GD active page to 10 threads and they would drop off within 60 seconds, and no one would know they exist without searching the key words and hoping they found a thread to talk in.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Then all those stickies would limit the GD active page to 10 threads and they would drop off within 60 seconds, and no one would know they exist without searching the key words and hoping they found a thread to talk in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A dedicated forum would be the best. We have a watch forum for crying out loud. I mean they are interesting, but not a lot of people here make watches.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would like to file a motion for the general populace to change the title request from "Blacksmith" subforum to a "metalworking" forum.

To include machining, gunsmithing, blademaking, pattern making and foundry work.

View Quote
I am intrigued by your ideas, sir, and wish to subscribe to your periodical.  #shootlikeasir

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A dedicated forum would be the best. We have a watch forum for crying out loud. I mean they are interesting, but not a lot of people here make watches.
View Quote

Trust me, we've been trying for a few months for our wine/beer/spirits forum. Even have some of the mods on our side. It's hard to get a new one to happen. ANd right now in GD there are three threads asking about single malts, bourbons, or gift recommendations that will drop off and be repeated in the next few days instead of having a good subforum to go to to look for recommendations, reviews..etc. The subforums are a great place to go for real information. GD is like seeing the homeless guy outside your place taking a shit on a cat then chasing it around the park. The subforums are like sitting down with a few good friends and having a conversation.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I like this idea.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I support this 

I just got my Alec Steel square circle hammer this week.  Haven't had a chance to use it yet Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Id be down for a metal working sub forum.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hell yes!
View Quote

Propane.  Coal is dirty and depending on where you live it can be expensive.  

I use propane for all my forging.  Getting good coal on the west coast is not easy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the blacksmith subforum?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I support this 

I just got my Alec Steel square circle hammer this week.  Haven't had a chance to use it yet https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116423/20170208-125524-143820.JPG
View Quote

Looking forward to a report on how good it performs.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Propane.  Coal is dirty and depending on where you live it can be expensive.  

I use propane for all my forging.  Getting good coal on the west coast is not easy.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking, thanks! Now I just need to find a decent anvil for under $4 a pound lol.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I would be interested in such a forum, though I probably couldn't do much myself until I move somewhere a bit more permanent but it's always been something I want to try.

I hate to say it but I'd have to agree with a sub-forum for it, or merge it into another sub-forum just to keep the number down. Just one thread in GD or team would get buried quickly (especially GD) and I fear the extraneous posts would make it difficult to find those nuggets of wisdom.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#38]
would me fun . but  on my   large property 15 ft  to each side neighbor.

I don't think they would like the noise for very long,
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't do any metalwork.... but for some reason I find Forged in Fire, and the show with the young-ish blacksmith who makes black powder weapons, very addictive.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
yes please.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I would be in for some but I get enough during the day soooo
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I was just thinking this the other day
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I support this 

I just got my Alec Steel square circle hammer this week.  Haven't had a chance to use it yet https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116423/20170208-125524-143820.JPG
View Quote

Damn that is a sexy hammer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Because subjects drop off in under 5 minutes from GD. Great threads get lost then repeated. No continuity ever gets built, and the group of trolls that shit post in every GD thread are sure to show up. That's why we've been fighting for months to get a Wine/beer/spirits forum.
View Quote

If it is popular enough they hang around the front page off and on a while. Can always be made in Team too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I vote to stick with Blacksmithing, and place it right below Gunsmithing in the Armory; there's already plenty of good conversation on gunsmithing and related machine work in that forum, but Forge & Hammer would be a whole 'nother deal.....
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
would me fun . but  on my   large property 15 ft  to each side neighbor.

I don't think they would like the noise for very long,
View Quote

You can do a lot to silence an anvil.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Hell yes!
View Quote

This is Arfcom...get both.

Here's a rasp knife I am working on normalizing in my propane forge...it's been off for 10 minutes.

I made it out of a broken air compressor and some plumbing fittings...

That forge is mostly for blade work, and is mounted above my coal forge which I find MUCH more useful on a regular basis and use for everything except long (length, not time) soaks mostly for blade normalizing and quench heats.

Here's a video covering some basics of metal working where you can see the coal forge in action.  It covers the coal forge enough a clever person could make a version.

Blacksmithing basic forge work - from making the fire to quenching and tempering

Honestly, going straight to propane is like going straight to a scoped rifle IMO. You miss a lot of important learning.  If you hate coal then use charcoal...personally I love the smell of coal going to coke.

Coal is stoopid cheap to use compared to propane.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I just bought a atlas mini forge to finally go with the anvil we've had at the farm since before time.  Would love the idea of a subforum.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted: yes please.
View All Quotes
Quoted: yes please.

Quoted: I support this

Quoted: Do it.  Always looking for more things to spend money on...

TTPNI.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I support this 

View Quote

That is a badass hammer. Thanks for sharing!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top