Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/23/2013 2:12:26 AM EDT
http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/crime-law/pet-wolf-shot-by-police-during-foot-chase/nYzc5/

During the pursuit, a Riverside officer hopped a fence into the back yard of of a home on Norman Boulevard where he saw the teen enter. When the officer looked up he was face-to-face with a wolf, said police.

The officer said he had no choice but to shoot after the animal lunged at him. The wolf was injured but did not sustain any fatal wounds, according to reports.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:14:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Between shooting pets, and shooting home owners after raiding the wrong houses.

I'm starting to think that Chicago politicians statement about cops doing killings isn't that far off the deep end.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:18:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Im willing to bet there were..."Beware of dog" sighns on that fence...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

TL, DR.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Im willing to bet there were..."Beware of dogwolf" sighns on that fence...
View Quote

Do they even make that sign?   That would be awesome
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Good thing the perp didn't try to hide in a zoo, the officer would have needed backup.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:32:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7AQyX3V5ZBM/TvuhZLD9_cI/AAAAAAAAAUU/RArK9HkAZcg/s1600/beware-dog-wolf.jpg

ever since reading and watching game of thrones I've wanted a wolf for a pet
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't decide if its better or worse that it was only wounded.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:35:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm a dag/wolf guy too, but unfortunately wolves are not very suitable as pets. You can socialize them but never domesticate.

I played with wolves here while being at Ft. Carson: http://wolfeducation.org/  Great place!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:36:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm a dag/wolf guy too, but unfortunately wolves are not very suitable as pets. You can socialize them but never domesticate.

I played with wolves here while being at Ft. Carson: http://wolfeducation.org/  Great place!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmm, I have read lots of articles about properly trained ones being great pets, granted the wife wants kids so my dream will never happen, so it looks like a great dane is our next dog
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
hmmm, I have read lots of articles about properly trained ones being great pets, granted the wife wants kids so my dream will never happen, so it looks like a great dane is our next dog
View Quote

Well, yeah, as a single guy out on the country somewhere you could probably keep a wolf. But not with family around.

Great danes are cool dags, too bad they have such a short lifespan. I had a Newfoundland dog for over 14 years.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good thing the perp didn't try to hide in a zoo, the officer would have needed backup.
View Quote

Lulz
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, yeah, as a single guy out on the country somewhere you could probably keep a wolf. But not with family around
View Quote

Riverside, Ohio is a bit populated to be keeping a wolf in the back yard, IMO... unless you have a fence tall enough to keep a stray 14 year old or cop from hopping over it, anyway.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:44:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Wolves and wolf hybrids are illegal to own I thought, maybe that is just here.

Almost hit a wolf last night on the way home from Kenai.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they are unpredictable, strong willed, and will always test for dominance and pack position.

i have akitas, pretty close to wolf, in that they are a more primative breed with many of the wolves tendencies.  

i wouldnt want a wolf to be honest, if you want wolf-like, get an akita, at least they listen most of the time and are more ok with the whole human-centric world.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:47:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Just get a hyena.

Rock it south african war lord style.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

they are unpredictable, strong willed, and will always test for dominance and pack position.

i have akitas, pretty close to wolf, in that they are a more primative breed with many of the wolves tendencies.  

i wouldnt want a wolf to be honest, if you want wolf-like, get an akita, at least they listen most of the time and are more ok with the whole human-centric world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

akitas are pretty cool too, considered this as an alternative
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:49:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just get a hyena.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:39:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
TL, DR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

TL, DR.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:59:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7AQyX3V5ZBM/TvuhZLD9_cI/AAAAAAAAAUU/RArK9HkAZcg/s1600/beware-dog-wolf.jpg

I know a guy in Montana who breeds them.

Fuckers howl all night long.   It's neat to hear at first, but gets old.   They are BIG sumbitches.   And I wouldn't trust them.  They can be friendly, but they can also snap.  And when they snap, you'd be begging to have a pitbull gnawing on your junk instead.

Beautiful animals though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:03:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Riverside has a section thats known as hells half acres...the houses are half acre lots and its hell to live there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#22]
See, this is why you look before you trespass leap.

What would have happened if he'd come face to face with a whole pack of hungry, pissed off wolves?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:10:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a breeder in Ohio that does white GSD's and GSD/Wolf crosses.  

Let me see if I can find them for you.

ETA: Found it.  They're in Hillsboro, Ohio
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#25]
The pd should pay for all medical care at the minimum. He came into the dogs rightful territory.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:23:33 AM EDT
[#26]
a one man wolf pack vs. a wolf.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The pd should pay for all medical care at the minimum. He came into the dogs rightful territory.
View Quote
Maybe the fleeing suspect should pay?  You know,  being how if he didn't run none of this would have happened.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#28]
In this case, I side with the cop.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#29]
What was the want?

Recent case law says you cant chase a non violent misdemeanor suspect into the curtalage of an uninvolved parties home.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

What was the want?

Recent case law says you cant chase a non violent misdemeanor suspect into the curtalage of an uninvolved parties home.
View Quote
Cite, because I missed that one.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:00:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Maybe the fleeing suspect should pay?  You know,  being how if he didn't run none of this would have happened.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to play devil's advocate: what if instead of shooting a pet wolf the cop shot and killed an 6 year old boy playing with a nerf gun in his backyard?  Should the cop and pd be rendered completely blameless just because if the suspect wouldn't have ran none of it would have happened?

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was the want?

As did I.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Is the cop going to be charged with trespass? Or is this automatic promotion territory?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wolves and wolf hybrids are illegal to own I thought, maybe that is just here.

Almost hit a wolf last night on the way home from Kenai.
View Quote

Depends on the state. In certain places, you can own them with permits. When I lived in Fort Wayne Indiana, there were a few wolves owned with in city limits. They can make good pets.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just get a hyena.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:04:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#39]
We have a shitload of wolves around my house. That dog has little to no wolf in it. It has pretty much no characteristic of a wolf physically. If anything it it a husky mutt.

Wolf

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#41]
First story yet where I believe the cop legitimately feared for his life. Glad the wolf didn't get deaded though. Not his fault that the cop decided to run through his territory.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:07:02 AM EDT
[#42]

ARFCOM needs a "Like" button
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine the carnage if cops are called to a pet store with robbery in progress.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

As did I.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was the want?

As did I.

I'd REALLY like to see that as well!  My daughter's firm, Holland and Knight, just had a MAJOR case representing a home owner that was shot by cops after they followed (they THINK!) a suspected thief onto the home owner's private property.  HO was shot five times without warning after he came out to investigate noise (the cops pulling down wooden fence to enter his property) and was in a coma for several months. On the SD's audio tape you can hear "Bang! Bang! Bang!  Bang! Bang!" and THEN hear cops calling "Sheriff's department, Drop the weapon!".  Her case went all the way to the USSC.  SD drug the case out with appeals for several years but then settled the day that the case was supposed to start in Federal Court.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 9/11 of dogs?

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Cops need to stop chasing people so this don't happen.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Why?

Fences are in place to provide privacy and protection. You violate both by climbing over a fence.

you don't have a right to shoot an animal that is SUPPOSED to be in a place that you're not.

Neither the animal nor the home owner were engaged in any illegal activity.

The officer created the confrontation with the animal.

I understand his actions, but he should not be off the hook either.

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Why?

Fences are in place to provide privacy and protection. You violate both by climbing over a fence.

you don't have a right to shoot an animal that is SUPPOSED to be in a place that you're not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why?

Quoted:

Hot pursuit, no rights violated. You'd shoot it too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Bad shoot - You enter someone's private property and shoot their dog in pursuit of a suspect and you are 100% wrong. Officer should have retreated or done ANYTHING except shoot. No shit the dog lunged at him, der

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#50]
That didn't look like a wolf in the video. Looked more like a shepard mutt mix.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top