Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/13/2004 5:37:32 AM EST
www.pe.com

Officer searching for suspect kills dog

HEMET: Police were searching for a suspect when they entered the resident's back yard.

12:18 AM PDT on Monday, September 13, 2004

By HENRI BRICKEY / The Press-Enterprise

HEMET - A Hemet police officer shot and killed a man's dog early Saturday morning in an east Hemet neighborhood after entering the man's back yard while searching for a suspect.

The shooting occurred at 435 Thompson St. sometime between 2 and 3 a.m. Saturday, according to family members who witnessed the incident.

The dog's owner, Luis Mendivil, 27, said Sunday that he plans to file a complaint today with the city and is planning to take legal action against the police department.

"I don't know if they have the right to bust in like that," Mendivil said at his home Sunday.

Police officers say they were involved in a foot pursuit of 31-year-old Leonard Anderson when they crossed into Mendivil's yard.

Anderson was wanted on a felony warrant for assault with a deadly weapon. He was apprehended in a nearby yard soon after the shooting, Hemet Police Sgt. Jeff Pinney said Sunday.

"It's unfortunate because the dogs were in their own back yard," Pinney said, adding that the animals bit an officer twice and the hind leg of a police dog. Pinney said one officer discharged a can of pepper spray, which Pinney said failed to stop the attack.

"In an ideal world, we would have had time to plan and get less lethal guns," Pinney said. "We always use our firearms as a last resort."

After the shooting of Mendivil's dogs, Pinney said officers put up a perimeter in the neighborhood and began asking residents if they had dogs in their back yards.

Mendivil wasn't home at the time of the shooting, but two nephews were watching TV in the family's guesthouse at the time and were only feet away when the shooting started.

"I just heard boom, boom, boom, boom, and then the dogs started yelping," said Adrian Mendivil, 12.

When Adrian and his brother, Ed, 13, came out to see what was happening, the brothers say they were told by police to go inside the house.

Pinney said he could not comment on the possible presence of children because, as of Sunday evening, he did not yet have a full report on the shooting.

Mendivil's mother, Hilda, was inside the main house when the incident happened and said she was awakened by several gunshots in her back yard.

Walking over blood-splattered concrete Sunday, Hilda Mendivil recounted how she watched as an officer fired three shots at the family's 6-month-old pit bull terrier, Root Beer.

"It was so scary," said Hilda, 54, who says she saw the shooting from a kitchen window a few feet away. "My heart was pounding."

Root Beer survived and was limping around the Mendivil house Sunday with a leg brace. Root Beer's mother, Maria, a year-old pit bull, was shot and killed.

Another dog, Luigi, a 3-year-old pit bull and father to Root Beer, was shot in the jaw by the officers and survived.

Mendivil said none of his dogs has ever shown aggression toward anyone, and he questions whether police followed proper procedures when they fired on his animals.

According to statements Mendivil says deputies gave him after the shooting, police were chasing a suspect believed to be hiding in the area when they entered the Mendivil yard.

Mendivil also said that deputies told him they used an entire can of pepper spray on the dogs before they fired. The next day, Mendivil took the two surviving dogs to his veterinarian in Mexico.

The doctor, Ruben Carpio Obeso, wrote in his assessment of the dogs that he found no signs that either had recently come into contact with pepper or any other kind of spray repellent.

Within minutes of the shooting, Hilda Mendivil said, the officers collected their shell casings from the yard and left without providing assistance.

One shell casing was left behind and found later by a family member. Writing on this shell identified it as .45-caliber. A slug also was found in the corner where one dog was shot.

In June, Beaumont city officials agreed to pay Beaumont resident Peter Vanderford $5,000 after his dog was killed by police. The dog, a Rottweiler, was shot when it came within five feet of the two officers, who were responding to a silent alarm call. It was later determined that the officers were at the wrong house and that the alarm had come from Vanderford's neighbor.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:39:13 AM EST
He was just protecting them. Or is that serving them?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:39:27 AM EST
"Pardon me folks, just passing through...."
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:41:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:54:40 AM EST
Two things stand out in this article. First, if the police are confronted by large angry dogs when trying to enter a backyard, the odds are that the suspect ain't there. Second, if the police are confronted by large angry dogs when trying to enter a backyard, it's probably not a good idea to bring another fucking dog into their territory!

Fucking idiots.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:01:50 AM EST
If they lied about the pepper spray that don't speak too highly of them. Maybe you could ask homeowners to bring their dogs inside if you are going to invade thier yards?

If the guy was bitten though it's hard to say they were in the wrong.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:02:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By Nimrod1193:
Two things stand out in this article. First, if the police are confronted by large angry dogs when trying to enter a backyard, the odds are that the suspect ain't there. Second, if the police are confronted by large angry dogs when trying to enter a backyard, it's probably not a good idea to bring another fucking dog into their territory!

Fucking idiots.

Good points.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:06:41 AM EST
Pit bulls, who cares.

BUT good points about NO suspects in a DOG INFESTED yard.

What If it was my yard and still confused from deep sleep I opened up on the people that were endangering my family and killed them before I knew they were cops. Self Defense???

ILLEGAL ENTRY, ENDANGERMENT OF CIVILIANS, LYING

hmmm......
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:07:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:
Within minutes of the shooting, Hilda Mendivil said, the officers collected their shell casings from the yard and left without providing assistance.

Really f**king nice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:09:55 AM EST
I'm waiting for the blue wall to show up and tell us why the good officers were in the right.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:11:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:11:41 AM EST

they were told by police to go inside the house.

My response: Fvck off!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:12:02 AM EST

Think these "law enforcement" types are acting a bit suspicous... Or at least watch a little to much CSI....

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:13:18 AM EST
So, was that a preban or postban dog?

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:15:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 6:15:29 AM EST by hk940]

Originally Posted By Chimborazo:

Really f**king nice.

what assistance could they provide?
"hey lady got a shovel and a hefty bag so i can drag your pet to the curb?"
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:15:59 AM EST
I hope they get their ass sued off. Along with felony cruelity to animals.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:22:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
"Pardon me folks, just passing through...."

BANG..."Nice doggie."
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:29:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:30:03 AM EST
Why has it become ok to blast dogs at the slightest hint of aggression these days? Give me a break. These cops were arrogant cowards. I have dealt with aggressive dogs before and almost any dog with a collar can be managed. These fucking assholes were too self-important to go around the yard? I hope they burn.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:31:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:36:17 AM EST
I swear you guys must go out of your way to find these dog shooting stories. And as usual; some of you have some of the most assinine views on stuff.

And for the record, I see the city paying for the dogs; but that'll be it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:41:35 AM EST
And what price would put on their life?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:42:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 6:43:06 AM EST by mppppp]

Originally Posted By Grunteled:
If they lied about the pepper spray that don't speak too highly of them. Maybe you could ask homeowners to bring their dogs inside if you are going to invade thier yards?

huh?????
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:46:33 AM EST
Well, since hot coffee spilled on one's crotch is worth a few million, I say that the death of my loyal dog is worth enough to bankrupt the fucking city. Funny how the fuckers had the ability to draw and fire upon a "vicious" dog with enough dexterity to score a fatal hit, but aparrently could not hit the dog in the face with the pepper spray. The article does imply, however, that the dogs were unaffected by the spray. Bullshit.

The bottom line is still that the idiots should not have been in the yard in the first place, seeing the dogs, and having one with them. They are fucking morons.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:46:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By einnor1040:
I'm waiting for the blue wall to show up and tell us why the good officers were in the right.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:52:15 AM EST
God forbid they get the hell out of the yard, leaving their dog as rear guard if necessary. No, they were there, and being there it was important to assert their authority. And to scoop up their brass and try to flee after the fact.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:59:53 AM EST
They should pass a law forbidding private ownership of dogs.
Clearly the police are allowed to enter your home and property, when in the pursuit of "suspects".
Therefore, ALL dogs pose a danger to these brave men.
BAN them, or shoot them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:59:58 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:02:49 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:08:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By mppppp:

Originally Posted By Grunteled:

huh?????

"'It's unfortunate because the dogs were in their own back yard', Pinney said, adding that the animals bit an officer twice and the hind leg of a police dog."

If they have bite wounds on an officer it's going to be hard to say they were in the (legal) wrong.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:11:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By PeteCO:
Well, since hot coffee spilled on one's crotch is worth a few million, I say that the death of my loyal dog is worth enough to bankrupt the fucking city. Funny how the fuckers had the ability to draw and fire upon a "vicious" dog with enough dexterity to score a fatal hit, but aparrently could not hit the dog in the face with the pepper spray. The article does imply, however, that the dogs were unaffected by the spray. Bullshit.

The bottom line is still that the idiots should not have been in the yard in the first place, seeing the dogs, and having one with them. They are fucking morons.

This isn't going to bankrupt the dept, even though Hemet PD is tiny in comparison to most agencies.

The guy will get a couple grand, buy his wife a new toaster, himself a new tv and a newspaper so he can go straight to the free dog ads and get himself a new dog.

This situation is kind of a damned if you and damned if you don't kinda thing.

We all want the police to catch the bad guys and sometimes "things" happen along the way. The heat of the pursuit through the yards and a growling pit aren't going to help things.

My dogs run into the house when they hear 40-King in the air.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:13:26 AM EST

Clearly the police are allowed to enter your home and property, when in the pursuit of "suspects".
- We can only go in your home if we attempt to arrest the guy and see him run into someone's home. And when it comes to crossing into your property while chasing a suspect; I've yet to see anything saying that it can't be done. I'm sure it would fall under the same case law or similar to the one mentioned previously.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:17:41 AM EST

This isn't going to bankrupt the dept, even though Hemet PD is tiny in comparison to most agencies.

The guy will get a couple grand, buy his wife a new toaster, himself a new tv and a newspaper so he can go straight to the free dog ads and get himself a new dog.

This situation is kind of a damned if you and damned if you don't kinda thing.

We all want the police to catch the bad guys and sometimes "things" happen along the way. The heat of the pursuit through the yards and a growling pit aren't going to help things.

My dogs run into the house when they hear 40-King in the air.

Oh, I know he won't get a settlement or judgment of any size, but people always act as though the dog is a fucking blender, rather than a family member as some consider their pets to be. "Ah, just replace the dog" they say. I stand by my assertion that they are idiots and cowards. No evidence of pepper spray, besides that fact that when a pissed off shepherd came after me I didn't even consider shooting it, even though I had a gun on me. Just like I wouldn't shoot a 5 year old chasing me with a wiffle ball bat. An extreme example I know, but these fuckwits seem to think that charging dog=lethal force. Yes, they may be 'legally' right, but they are fucking cowards, and arrogant cocksuckers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:18:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:
Down here FPL meter readers somehow manage to defend themselves with umbrellas and no Glock.

Yeah but the meter readers don't have that trigger-happy "us vs. them" mentality. And if a meter reader beats a dog to death with his clipboard, his internet brethren probably won't be knocking the "civilians" on this board for being anarchist meter-reader-bashers. After all, the most important thing is that the meter reader made it home at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:18:16 AM EST
Yeah! No shit! What the Fuc...... Oh, it was a pit bull??? Nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:20:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By hk940:

Really f**king nice.

How about "I am sorry for what we "had" to do" let me help get your family pets to a vet so they don't all bleed to death"

That would have been a nice start...
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:21:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:
I swear you guys must go out of your way to find these dog shooting stories. And as usual; some of you have some of the most assinine views on stuff.

No apology?

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:22:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By hk940:

Really f**king nice.

There were two other dogs wounded by the officers.
They could have made sure a vet was available considering the fact they inflicted the wounds.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:23:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By WaWaTuSi:

No apology?

Great avatar by the way.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:26:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

Actually the article implies the PD LIED about using pepper spray at all.

"The doctor, Ruben Carpio Obeso, wrote in his assessment of the dogs that he found no signs that either had recently come into contact with pepper or any other kind of spray repellent. "

He drove the dog to Mexico to see a vet covered in hot sauce?

From Hemet to Tijuana is 125 miles one way. That sounds fishy. I wonder if he washed the dog off before sticking it in the car for the trip if not he'd probably be choking himself.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:27:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 8:11:11 AM EST by jrzy]
I gonna say this one more time:
If you shoot my dog who I consider part of my family I'm gonna get mad.
If I get mad because you shot my dog there will be trouble.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:28:51 AM EST
If money is dolled out to the people then there will be an apology sent with it.

"us vs. them" mentality
- Once again, this crap comes from a certain segment. Shame the people crying about this fail to realize they are the primary ones that have this viewpoint.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:29:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By badeffect10:

Great avatar by the way.

Thanks...

I just hope LEO never crosses my Chocolate Assault Labrador.....

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:34:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By jrzy:
I gonna say this one more time:
If you shoot my dog who I consiider part of my family I'm gonna get mad.
If I get mad because you shot my dog there will be trouble.

Amen, brother. Amen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:44:49 AM EST

If money is dolled out to the people then there will be an apology sent with it.

"us vs. them" mentality
- Once again, this crap comes from a certain segment. Shame the people crying about this fail to realize they are the primary ones that have this viewpoint.

I guess that "certain segment" would be anyone not carrying a badge?

If the shooter had been a "civvy" chasing the bad guy, rather than a cop, would you be equally as quick to defend his actions?

If not, then: you're a hypocrit, a "JBT", and a fucking moron.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:46:21 AM EST
Let's see...

1) Officer actively persuing suspect enters yard

2) Once in yard, he is attacked and bit by a known 'dangerous' breed of dog...

3) Officer ends up shooting dog, says he pepersprayed it first...

4) Owner takes dog to MEXICO to have it examined, Mexican doctor 'conveniently' says that no pepper spray was used...

Sorry guys, sounds more like someone trying to grow a lawsuit than a legitimate gripe... MEXICO?

And if you have certain breeds of dog that are likely to be considered 'threatening', you might want to keep them supervised, rather than out roaming in your yard while you sleep...

If it had been a 'normal' citizen without a gun, this would be another pit attack & thus a 'Pit Bull Bashing Thread' instead of a 'Cop bashing thread'!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:51:18 AM EST
How dare you question the judgment of the POlice.

All bow to the power of the state.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:52:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 7:53:18 AM EST by olyarms]
Thid month alone I have had the cops in my back yard twice. Each time they knocked on the door for me to put my dogs inside.

Also its hard to get into my backyard with out some help. Have some wicked spikes, spikes are cool

Edit: But the dogs are so trained as I watched them search the backyard, one time the dog took a pause to take a shit on my walkway.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:53:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:
Let's see...
(snip)

And if you have certain breeds of dog that are likely to be considered 'threatening', you might want to keep them supervised, rather than out roaming in your yard while you sleep...
(snip)

"Rather than out roaming in your yard while you sleep"? Are you out of your fucking mind?!?!?! In MY FUCKING YARD, I'll let MY dog roam around in MY yard if I want. Unless, of course, I should live in fear of JBT's coming into my yard. Hell, maybe I should fill the pool in with dirt, since some fuckstick jumping my fence might fall in a get hurt. I'd better get rid of that picnic table too, since it's so hard to see at night.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:53:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:
Let's see...

Fucking incredible.

So, now we aren't allowed to keep "threatening" dogs on our OWN PROPERTY? Just in case the POlice might need to enter for some spurrious reason?

What a sheep.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:54:34 AM EST
File a complaint, get the city to pay for the vet bills, and then sue the guy who ran for being an idiot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top