Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 5:41:39 AM EDT
Thanks to Christopher Columbus, I'm off work today.  Don't have much planned so figure I have enough time to smoke a brisket.  I've smoked many things before but never a brisket (mainly due to time constraints) and I know I've seen some of your dinner pics here so post up!

What rubs do you use?  Mop it ever hour or so?  Tips?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#1]
1.  You started too late.  You should have put the rub on and then wrapped it in plastic and let it rest in the refrigerator for about 3 days.

2.  You need to put it on the pit about 6 p.m. the night before.  That way you can cook it for 18 hours at a low temp, to get it tender.

3.  If it has a nice layer of fat on it, you won't need to mop anything but the drool off your chin when you cut into it.

4.  The fat goes up.

5.  Only listen to people from Texas.  They know what they are talking about.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1.  You started too late.  You should have put the rub on and then wrapped it in plastic and let it rest in the refrigerator for about 3 days.

2.  You need to put it on the pit about 6 p.m. the night before.  That way you can cook it for 18 hours at a low temp, to get it tender.

3.  If it has a nice layer of fat on it, you won't need to mop anything but the drool off your chin when you cut into it.

4.  The fat goes up.

5.  Only listen to people from Texas when it comes to topics on goat raping.  They know what they are talking about.  

As mentioned above, you started too late.  Go grill some burgers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]
How big of  brisket? just the flat?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:01:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't leave the Rub on for 3 days--seems to make it taste more like Corned Beef when I do that--I just leave it on overnight.

Try rubbing a thin coat of Mustard on (sounds strange, but try it--the acidity of the mustard helps to keep the meat nice and tender), then putting your dry rub on it.   Then cover it for 12-18 hrs, then smoke low and slow.

Better to start with just the flat (until you learn), then go with the point also.

Doesn't take much smoke--over the cooking time, a little bit goes a long way.

AFARR

OH, hell....forgot to add---DON'T get an "enhanced with up to 10%...." brisket.   None of the stuff that has added fluid/seasoning, etc.... it WILL wind up tasting like Corned Beef!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#5]
12-14 hours from now I'll still be awake.  My s moker won't maintain itself if I left it alone overnight, so that's out of the question for me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:33:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I did a brisket a few weeks ago.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=623048

On the smoker at 7am, done by 5pm.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#7]
low and slow

make sure you have at least a 6 pack/hour alotted, 12 pack/hour if you expect any thirsty moochers to show up
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's my smoker...I'd like a bigger/better one some day but it gets the job done for now

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Wanna upgrade to one of these:

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Nah, not so much
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a brisket tutorial here: Peppers and Smoke Brisket Tutorial

I use Texas BBQ Rub Brisket Blend.  There is no need to mop or spray it.  Every time you open the door to the smoker, you let out heat and smoke.  Just kick back and let it cook.

Hey, I smoked some mac and cheese this weekend.  It was pretty good.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's the beginning of a long journey...got a sixer of Sam Adams Honey Porter and one of Shafly Oatmeal Stout.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Go get yourself a corned beef brisket and huck it in the crock pot for 6 hours.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Won't get that wonderful smokey flavor though
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have a brisket tutorial here: Peppers and Smoke Brisket Tutorial

I use Texas BBQ Rub Brisket Blend.  There is no need to mop or spray it.  Every time you open the door to the smoker, you let out heat and smoke.  Just kick back and let it cook.

BOOKMARKED!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Here's the beginning of a long journey...got a sixer of Sam Adams Honey Porter and one of Shafly Oatmeal Stout.

i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa309/evo4620/DSC02008.jpg

whatcha gonna drink the other 14 hours?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#17]
How did it turn out?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top