Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 5:01:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Ahhhh a delema for all of us that know a good tire, and stand for what they beleive in.

Lucky for me, I bought my set before I found out they were owned by a french owned company.[8D]
Isn't ignorance bliss?

I'm curious as to what will be said to answer your question, cause I haven't found a better overall quality/cost tire.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I own a Jeep & I like Bridgestones. I wouldn't buy Michelin's if they came with Cindy Crawford.

Try some Desert Duelers, you'll love them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]
MY 500TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry.......i've gotten 60,000 miles on a set of michelin A/T 265/75 r16s on my crew cab 496 3/4 ton, i have NEVER found a better tire

but once again, the bastards are french owned so i dont know what i'll do when my rear tires go in about 20,000 miles

goodyear has gone way downhill lately, they're not holding up very well at all

dont know any good replacement tire either
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got a nice set of Dunlop Radial Rover RVs for a full size 4WD.  Nice looking and supposed to be pretty good tires.  The RVs are quiet and still seem offroad-able.  I haven't given them any kind of real workout though . . .
There are a couple of more aggressive versions in the series.  They're worth looking at.
Dunlop is owned by Goodyear but there's a reasonable difference in price for similar tires.  Something like $108 each for 265/75-16 where comparable GY or BFs were more like $130-140.

cgj
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I work (but am currently laid off) at the Goodyear plant in my town,and would suggest Kelly-Springfield,Dunlap or Brigestone.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Not that it really applies to cars, but I'm now buying Kenda tires (instead of Made in France Michelins) for my bike. Now I just need a replacement for those Mavic rims...
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I just replaced my Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires with a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/S's [LT265/70/R17]. I got 78,000 on the original set, and still had plenty of tread, but sliced a couple of sidewalls on the local carwash's rail. A little more pricey than some, but worth it in the long run IMOH.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Procomp, I picked Procomp Mudders over BFG, and they are cheaper.  They also have a little bit of factory siping(spelling?)  but it helps a lot on differnt surfaces not just mud like BFG.  They last longer too.

my favorite store:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Between BFG and GY, I'd go w/ the GY MTR.  IMO, they are the best MT you cna pickup at this time.  If your considering ATs, I'd pass on the AT/S.  Its too mild and expensive.  The Bridgestone Dueller AT revo is an exclent tire for less$.  LAso, the Yokohama ATplusII is great.  I've become a fan of ooper lately.  The manuf tires for pirelli, procomp, mickey thompson, etc.  For the price, you get a lot of tire.  Particularly, lol at the Pep Boy dakotas.  I run the 285/75/16s on my trooepr and love them.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I think tires are the most important component of your car. Since so much of your cars handling and safety come from the tires you put on it, you should just forget who owns the company and buy whatever set you think is right for you.

Goodyear AT's aren't much of an AT tire. BFG AT's are great all around. MT-R's and M/T are awesome offroad but noisy and wearysome after a while on road. You could maybe give ProComp a look at www.4wheelparts.com
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been very happy with the Michelin LTX M&S 265/75R16.  The original Wrangler tires that came on my Z-71 in 95 were very noisy and lasted about 35K.  About 70k on the Michelins and still some useable tread.  I'm thinking of Yokohamas to replace them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Goodyears always performed well on my Trans Ams, but their AT tires are the worst I've owned. Good mileage, but on road handling is poor and off-road traction is marginal.  As much as I hate to say it, I was impressed by the BFG TA KOs.  I'm looking at Bridgestone and Dunlop.

Eddie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top