Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/26/2003 9:21:35 PM EDT
A friend just called me asking if I knew about a place to safely store his firearms away from his resisdence. He doesn't have the money for a proper gun locker currently and he briefly checked out some self storage places which promtply turned down any firearm or ammo storage.
He knows the proper solution is to buy a nice gun safe but figures he won't be in a position to do that for another six months or so. Does anyone know of a service of some type to store guns?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:35:18 PM EDT
Your friend, hmm? I have a friend who will hang onto 'em for [s]ya[/s] him.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:41:10 PM EDT
Well considering he's got a real nice Armalite AR15 with an Acog reflex on it I told him I'd be more than happy to hold onto it for him. But I was just looking for a legit business/service for him. The more I think about it, the more I think I want to be the serivice provider :)
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:47:33 PM EDT
Suggest a Homak cabinet if funds are really tight. Not a safe by any means but far better than nothing and the prices are right. I went for a Sentry 14 gun safe as I'm planning to move and didn't want to deal with having to transport a "real" safe. For the money, it’s a good deal. The Sentry is light enough to get in and out of almost anywhere but heavy enough (when filled) to make it a bitch to move for a non-professional thief. I personally would have a really hard time with the idea of my guns being out of my control. Too much liability (especially in the PRK).
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:50:33 PM EDT
People have been storing guns without safes for years. You can buy a decent metal security locker for $125.00 that you can bolt to the wall in a closet. Or why not hide the guns in the garage on a back shelf under a tarp, or chained to a rafter in the attic, chained to a couple of eyebolts sunk in a wood stud in the closet. The money you save on not renting an offsite storage room can go toward a good safe. Pinetop
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:02:38 AM EDT
I wouldn't hold anyone's guns for them. Too much liability. A gun range or gun shope may keep the guns for him.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:42:34 AM EDT
A couple of years ago, a local police chief Larry Bible over at Glenpool, OK offered to store weapons for city citizens at the PD. I know Larry personally and his intentions were honest, he is not a [b]JBT[/b], he's a local boy. The reason behind the offer was that summer school break was coming and he was aware that a lot of working families have "Latch-Key Kids" meaning that they have to stay at home by themselves because the families can't afford day care. The offer was made in an attempt to give people an honest option to keep weapons in a safe place away from the kiddo's while mom and dad were at work, I know that this idea will probably get me flamed to hell-and-gone, but it might be worth checking into with your local PD if you live in a small community and you trust your LEO's.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:46:04 AM EDT
San Francisco isn't the best place to check into that kind of thing with the PD. :) He's concerned about roomates and the high possibility of people being able to break into where he lives. He has them stored in a nice tool locker with a lock and chain but wants better protection. He's just trying to be a responsible gun owner.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 11:31:10 AM EDT
Lowes has a decent Sentry safe on sale currently for $299. [url]http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=216186-26605-G5251[/url] Kinda caught me by surprise, its a gunsafe - didnt expect it at Lowes. No idea if its a great price, but the safe looked decent. No triple redundent relockers or multi bearing plate, but much better than a Homak - but triple the price. Dont know if its in his price range but may not be a bad solution. Meets CA regs of some sort so may be just the ticket. Luck Alac
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:55:59 PM EDT
Not perfect but bolting or using several lag screws to or through studs and heavy chain is probably the way to go. That at least would take a jack or heavy tools to pry loose and can be done cheaply. There used to be one that was designed to go in the corner of a closet or similar that theoretically was small enough that you couldn't get leverage on it.
Top Top