Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 6:44:40 AM EDT
Off-duty officer chased by police

08:04 AM CDT on Tuesday, August 23, 2005

By HOLLY YAN / The Dallas Morning News

Arlington and Fort Worth police pursued an off-duty Dallas police officer Monday afternoon after she fled her Arlington home.

Tracey Nichols, a six-year veteran of the Dallas Police Department, led officers through the two cities before crashing and stopping on U.S. H ighway 287.

The chase started about 4 p.m. after a relative called Arlington police requesting a welfare check at a home in the 5600 block of Colebrook Trail, Arlington police Sgt. David Stevens said.

"When Arlington police officers arrived at the location, the subject emerged, ran into a pickup truck and fled," Fort Worth police spokesman Lt. Dean Sullivan said.

Police pursued the truck through residential streets and onto northbound Highway 287, westbound Interstate 20 and back onto northbound Highway 287. Fort Worth police joined the chase near northbound Highway 287 at Miller Avenue.

Officer Nichols then struck a guardrail near Highway 287 and Maddox Street. She stopped soon afterward.

"Our officers received information from Arlington police that the subject was potentially suicidal, and police staged accordingly," Lt. Sullivan said.

Authorities did not make any sudden moves until they saw Officer Nichols slump over her steering wheel. Fort Worth police then rushed to the truck, broke the window and pulled her out.

Officer Nichols was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital with an injured leg. She was being treated in the hospital's intensive-care unit, hospital officials said.

Dallas police spokesman Gil Cerda said Officer Nichols was most recently assigned to the Southeast Patrol Division. It was unclear what would happen with her employment status. Police said Officer Nichols has been on injury leave since January, but it was unclear what the injury was.

Sgt. Stevens and Lt. Sullivan said they did not know why Officer Nichols may have been suicidal. Sgt. Stevens said she could face a charge of evading arrest and detention, depending on her medical and mental state at the time.

"If there was some medical condition that caused this, we can't file charges," Sgt. Stevens said.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:18:26 PM EDT
I'm suprised at the lack of "JBT bias" and "there's gotta be more to the story" comments...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:21:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:26:08 PM EDT
I hope they remembered to take her firearms (for her safety).
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:30:43 PM EDT
saw that in the news yesterday, the broad looked f'ed up when they took her out the car.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:29:39 PM EDT
WTF. What does he mean by medical condition. My cousin got charged down in Ft Worth for assault, he apparently went nuts after deciding he could do without the zoloft. He paid a hefty fine and served some probation. One could argue that he had a medical condition that caused him to fuck up. Also I should note that he wasn't a cop.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:27:44 PM EDT
A medical condition causes you to run from the police.

HAHA
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:41:30 PM EDT
I would prefer that suicidal people just off themselves at home with a firearm than endanger other people or do a suicide-by-cop. No need to take anyone with you, but the best solution would be to seek treatment.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:49:10 PM EDT
I predict she will get a month off with pay.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:39:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:

Meanwhile, I, (who actually knows what I'm talking about) will predict that her out-processing paperwork is already winding it's way thru the Human Resources dept.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:05:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Johninaustin:

Meanwhile, I, (who actually knows what I'm talking about) will predict that her out-processing paperwork is already winding it's way thru the Human Resources dept.

Don't be so sure. Dallas is very PC, and it wouldn't suprise me one bit if the initiating agency drops charges, some night school shrink annoits her "bi-polar" and she keeps her job.
Just another recent embarassment for DPD.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:08:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ryann:

Originally Posted By Johninaustin:

Don't be so sure. Dallas is very PC, and it wouldn't suprise me one bit if the initiating agency drops charges, some night school shrink annoits her "bi-polar" and she keeps her job.
Just another recent embarassment for DPD.

Agreed, whole-heartedly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:10:22 AM EDT

"If there was some medical condition that caused this, we can't file charges," Sgt. Stevens said.

Anybody else pissed off that this chick is going to have felony charges dropped?

- BLOOD BOILING-
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:10:57 AM EDT
Meanwhile this would probably disqualify any of the rest of us from getting a concealed carry permit for life, and possibly from ever owning a firearm at all.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:13:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By distributor_of_pain:

Anybody else pissed off that this chick is going to have felony charges dropped?

- BLOOD BOILING-

That's code word for she's a victim. Arlington PD hasn't had any problem with busting off duty officers from other agencys for DWI.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:13:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmedAggie:
Meanwhile this would probably disqualify any of the rest of us from getting a concealed carry permit for life, and possibly from ever owning a firearm at all.

Possible's ass! Evading arrest is now a felony.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:15:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By distributor_of_pain:

Originally Posted By ArmedAggie:

Possible's ass! Evading arrest is now a felony.

Yep.

Not to mention the beatdown+mace+tasering any of us would recieve when the chase ends.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:41:19 PM EDT
I'll go with ryann's assessment for 100 Alex.
Top Top